- Dreary Deck DelugeLevel used
- DKC2's normal ship levels (such as pirate panic)Kongs
- i'd like a slow, atmospheric, and dramatic tune. Still having the accordion sounds, but definitely subdued. Ideally, there is a really cool song in Disney's Maui Mallard Cold Shadow (SNES) that catches my ears in style. I like what they're doing with the accordion, ship bell, creaking of the boat, and overall atmosphere. Obviously it needs to be arranged differently with some different instruments, but have a listen- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojeb8d0NQbcTheme
- ship deck at a stormy night. The darkness employed in Bouncy Bonanza should do. Fog, rain, and wind which affect gameplay.Special Effects
- sunset/night/dawn shifting, darkness, rain, lighting, fog, moon and lantern lighting, transparency. Level transitioning-
1- You start at sunset, on the verge of setting as the sun rolls down into the horizon
2- Night rolls and the moon rises in on your first few steps. The moon has its own look edited from the sun, has a haze around it.
3- about a quarter into the level, some thicker clouds come along, with some mist in the background (ala DKC3GBA's Stormy Seas)
4- a little more in, it begins to rain, i'd like the rain to be gradual, starting out light and then becoming more violent, maybe having a wind effect which causes the rain to go sideways or even different directions which affect your movement, as in the leaves of Gusty Glade (DKC2). Rain becomes a storm, along with lightning in the background, lightly illuminating the foreground.
5- about 3/4 into the level, the rain clears up and a fog rolls into the foreground. It might be interesting to have multiple fog layers to give a sense of depth, like one in the foreground, one in the background. The moon is now gradually going down
6- at the last few stretches, the fog begins to slowly lift as dawn approaches. The moon leaves, and a pink glow appears in the sky, the level now returns to its brightened state with a reddish-pink sun rising on the horizon. The level ends.Other visual touches and color ideas
- I was inspired by DKC3GBA's Stormy Sea. The background sky and sea would be a very dark blue, navy or whatever. I can see lanterns scattered around the masting, which turn on as night rolls in, I'd see them giving off a faint possibly flickering glow, a gradient lighting source, just very faint. Perhaps have a rocky cove far into the background with a lighthouse on top, which puts off a faint gradient glow of its own. Scatter some of the masting with those flapping flags seen in Topsail Trouble. They'd go well with the wind. I'm not even sure how possible this level would be on the level builder, but it's my idea, so we'll see.Kremlings
- Pirates obviously. Kobble, Klomp, Kaboing, Klinger, Kruncha, Kutlass, Kannon. I might have just used them all though lol! Throw in some Necky's having issues flying in the storm for good measure!Hazards
- visibility problems with the darkness, rain, and fog. Pits where the ship has come apart. Possibly have the wind push you with the oncoming storm, only in one direction though, but at different variable maybe... I'm not sure if i'd include it, but a storm would likely toss debris around. Incoming wood and such would be a possibility. Kind of wonder how i'd give you a signal that something was coming, maybe make them slow moving. Might be interesting to have some updrafts from the wind which can carry you to certain higher places in the level, ala Windy Well. Or in the contrast, drafts which send you down into a pit. Keep an eye on the rain direction to judge on the wind force.
Can't do a mockup to be honest. I'm not sure i could possibly replicate the dark effects or fog in a screenshot. Just know that i was inspired by Stormy Seas, but with an actual storm. Level parts from the Ship levels. Basically with new dynamic weather effects, lighting, and all sorts of atmospheric touches.