DKCLB Custom Level Ideas

The dream tool of any hardcore DKC player, the DKCLB aims to make editable in unison all elements from the original DKC Trilogy, and allow customization of it all, too! Powered by the Delta Suite.

Re: DKCLB Custom Level Ideas

Postby Phyreburnz » February 2nd, 2015, 6:56 am

Okay, new level time!

I know somebody had suggested something like this in the custom levels thread. I did want to add something (semi) new, so I animated a swinging chain.
castle+lava

This was at the request of the DKC4 developers. It is really similar to my DKC1 flooded cave. There are differences in the ways the levels are set up, they just liked the DKC3 cave better, I guess.
flooded dkc3 cave

This is an old one, but I just uploaded it to deviantart. This is where you would take control of Funky's plane.
Funky's flight fright

Also, on my deviantart page, I have decided to upload PSDs as well as TIFFs because of a request.

Spoiler for large images.

Spoiler!

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Re: DKC Custom Level Ideas

Postby Shyguybuddy11 » February 2nd, 2015, 12:30 pm

if anyone doesn't have ideas for levels for dkc why not just ask me i'm full of ideas :thumbs: :nicework:
Newcomer

Postby Simion32 » February 2nd, 2015, 2:28 pm

Posting ideas is kind of the point of this topic. Have at it! ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Shyguybuddy11 » February 2nd, 2015, 3:43 pm

ok how about a volcano level that's reminiscent of toxic tower but the lava is insta kill and you have to make it out of the volcano before it reaches you
Newcomer

Postby Simion32 » February 3rd, 2015, 9:51 am

*has a go at some level names*

Redhot Rush
Magma Mayday
Volcanic Virulence
Lava Laketides

...Lava Linguistics? :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » February 3rd, 2015, 10:01 am

Lava Linguistics sounds like there will be a spelling test after the level! :gnawty-lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » February 3rd, 2015, 11:00 am

Mayday Magna sounds much better. It's an easier tongue twister to pronounce than as originally proposed.

Now that's what I call lava linguistics.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » February 13th, 2015, 11:03 am

I know the idea of a vertical lava level is a popular one, as it's been suggested on this thread before (at least once, I think). I really do like the idea as well... but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I'm sure I could make a fake screenshot or something, but I really don't know if I can make a legitimate level. That and I don't really know how rising lava could be possible (unless you use the water lava like in lava lagoon which I don't personally like as much as the actual lava level lava).

I really would like to get to making another level, so I would love some more ideas!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby vege » February 15th, 2015, 4:03 am

Cool levels!

For the first one, a name could be: Lavalon (it sounds como Avalon: a legendary island featured in the arthurian legend (castle + lava + island = Lavalon) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon.

In the second level, the cascade may be greener, it would look better with in that ambience, i would love some light effects too. Examples of name: Kascade Kaverns, Kruber Cave, KasCave, Flooded Megalodon, K Rool's Stomach : http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/art ... 797336.php
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Phyreburnz » February 15th, 2015, 4:16 am

Oh, I LOOOOOVE Kascade Kaverns. That is a wonderful name!

I just named the level that on my dA page.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 15th, 2015, 6:39 am

Sorry for the double post, but this is double post worthy, I think, since I have a new level that I just finished.

I'm open to name suggestions. I feel like "sunset" or "sundown" should be in the name. I thought of "Sundown Showdown" but that sounds like it should be a western desert level.

Here is the TIFF for the new level.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » February 15th, 2015, 6:50 pm

That looks nice, Phyre; perhaps "Sunset Skies" would be a fitting name? Soft and pretty, like the level itself. :)

Some thoughts on the aesthetics: The smooth look of the clouds makes the pixelation of the sprites quite evident. I don't know for sure if I would recommend pixelating the background and/or reducing the colour depth to match the sprites (I am a fan of high-resolution art/assets, afterall), but that might help make things feel a little more cohesive. Also, I can't help but think the overall brightness of the level exacerbates the issue — and sunsets are generally known for being dark, but rich with colour, anyway — so perhaps adjusting this aspect might be a plus?

As for the previously shared level, I do quite like the sound of Kascade Kaverns, but I think it would be nicer to spell it with Cs — Cascade Caverns; Rare typically reserved the 'K names' for times when a 'K creature's name was referenced in the level name — DKC3's Krevice Kreepers being the main exception I can see.[reference!] That said, either way is fine, and "Kascade Kaverns" is certainly more original/googlable. Just my 2¢! :geek:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » February 16th, 2015, 1:29 am

They aren't my sprites, but I'll see what I can do. Leocore is the one that made them. The original colours look like this:
terrain.png

I thought mixing it up and making sunset clouds would look nice. I also thought maybe stormy clouds would be good... maybe a level for Ellie??? Perhaps she could always have her trunk full since the clouds are so wet?

Anyway... another level: Bobsled Boogie

I like the DKC1 mountains and snow levels better than DKC3, but since it has the bobsled, I figured my custom bobsled Kremling would fit well.

*EDIT*
Do these clouds look better? I reduced the number of colours of the terrain.

I know there are some white spots around some edges. I didn't remove those *YET* because I'm not sure if I should keep this kind of level fix.
cloud test.png

*EDIT*
Okay, I think I have it now and I think this may be the best that I can do.
cloud test 2.png
cloud test 2.png (186.7 KiB) Viewed 104880 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » February 16th, 2015, 11:15 am

Cool! Keep cranking out the ideas! :D

(Wow, Phyre. You're really got a creative air going on.)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Ninni973 » February 17th, 2015, 12:57 am

Since I like both forest and snow levels, I decided to combine them together to form a snow forest level. It could have the snow and forest-related enemies from the SNES Donkey Kong Country series, like the Lemguins, Slippa, Zingers, etc. along with new ones like a Snowball Necky, which shoots snowballs instead of nuts. The archetype/background sprites, the entire level, and the picture could be made by Phyreburnz, the music could be composed by Samuel Buechele, and name suggestions would be appreciated.

So what do you think, guys? :thumbs:
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby vege » March 4th, 2015, 12:07 pm

@Ninni973 Sounds good. In addition, Bleak (a boss in DKC3 ) could be an ordinary enemy, he could shoot similarly this villain http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/sca ... c3_4_1.png I would love to see lemguins swimming, unlimited Gnawties attacking from Igloos, etc.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby vege » March 4th, 2015, 12:14 pm

@Phyreburnz I am glad that you like it :)

Here a fake screenshot / idea (the leaf was pixelated).

Maybe it is not a great idea, but to use leaves as platform could be an alternative (sorry for my english).
Attachments
Sin título-1.jpg
Forest with leaves
Sin título-1.jpg (152.09 KiB) Viewed 104711 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby ZillyZango » March 9th, 2015, 11:55 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I'm not sure if this should be used or not, but I thought that the oil shouldn't act like a swamp in DKC2. I thought maybe it could act like the quick sand in Mario III for the NES, where you slowly sink but if you jump quick enough, you can escape. That is up to you if you want to add that to the level.

I think it should be the lava in Lava Lagoon. It should be like water, but since its oil, and the water is a bit polluted it could hurt you. And you can still swim in it with invincibility frames.
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby spaceman2028 » April 20th, 2015, 2:26 am

I just recently had the idea for a level that takes place on a space station of all things. Here's some random ideas for the level name and what variants it could have:

Ace of Space/Space Ace
Star Station
Space Chase
Sea the Stars
Sea of Space
Orbit Ocean
Low-G Lava
Low-G Magma
Low-G Sea
Sting Station
Sea Station
Space Race
Splash Station
Hovering Hive
Floating Funhouse

If you cannot tell by the names of the levels, some space station level names indicate that the space station level will be flooded with water, overrun with lava, or full of Zingers and Buzzes. Floating Funhouse could be an interesting take on combining the space station level with the rollercoaster levels in DKC2.

And now, here's some music that could go into the levels.

Polluted Paradise
Royal Reptile Ruin
Hard Hat Hysteria
Low-G Labyrinth
Fear Factory
Nuts And Bolts
Hot Pursuit

These three music tracks are not from the DKC series, but could fit into the level.
Space level theme from Crash Bandicoot 2
Space level theme from Crash Bandicoot 3
Or for something completely different...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Blue Banana » May 10th, 2015, 12:32 pm

Name: Tight-Rope Tumble
Archetype: DKC2 Cave & snowy mountains
Music: Animal Antics
Special Effects: Glowing
Gimmicks: You have to look out for the lava below, or else you'll fall into the boiling hotness.
Previously "Kiddy"
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » May 30th, 2015, 2:10 am

I made Ninni's level that he posted in the DKC4 thread. I decided to post the links to the full level here, rather than the DKC4 topic. I did use Doomero's ghost hooks at the end of the level for the target. Credit has been giving everywhere for Ninni and Doomero :)

As always, please remember to his "download" since it's a tiff with all of the layers and everything. The fog in the foreground should be around 40% opacity and the Zingers and Kurses (ghost Kremlings) should be around 50% opacity.

Here is the level

Here is the fake screenshot.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » June 3rd, 2015, 3:56 am

Another new level! Icy Escapade. I had the idea for this a while back and I have finally gotten around to making it. It functions like Windy Well.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Shyguybuddy11 » June 3rd, 2015, 4:24 am

anyone wanna make a ship wreck level with the dkc2 ship tile set
name ideas:
haunted galleon
ghostly galleon
Newcomer

Postby Phyreburnz » June 6th, 2015, 1:28 am

I think I have a solution for a vertical lava level. I can't use the DKC2 backgrounds because it doesn't give me enough to work with to make it look like you can go up... so my solution is to use the DKC3 cave level backgrounds. They look like they would look good for a lava level, so that's what I am going to do. I think it will look good with lava rising up. Maybe using the green stuff from Toxic Tower but making it red will work... I'll still have to work that part out, but at least I think I know how to make a background.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » June 6th, 2015, 9:25 am

You can mix in the DKC2 volcano backround objects into that level too if you want. There's gotta be at least SOMETHING to signify where the lava's coming from.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » June 13th, 2015, 1:37 pm

This is long awaited, I think... So here is my solution!

Here is the full level.

I figured that maybe taking a section from one of the lava levels, like hot head hop, and using the bubbling lava section as the stuff that raises and lowers. Though, it might be difficult, so maybe using the lava like from lava lagoon would work... though I don't like the look of that as much.

You can see the solution better when you look at the full level, so check that out, it's very big down below so you can see it here. Don't forget, though, if you want the level, you have to download it from my DA page!

Spoiler!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » June 13th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Now there's a level I never even thought about creating. In the future, once I get my DKCX groove back, I may take a chance on something like this. Is that okay, Phyre?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » June 13th, 2015, 2:43 pm

Absolutely! :) This is the place for sharing ideas, right?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » June 22nd, 2015, 12:44 pm

I have an idea for a factory level with big, blowing fans in them that you will be able to turn off and on that blow you up and around... maybe a level for Squawks?

I'd like to see if I could find some sprites of a big fan that could be used. If anybody has suggestions, let me know!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » June 22nd, 2015, 3:17 pm

Fans could even be useful in the pipe levels. If it were a water level, you could use it to "block" Enguarge from passing through a particular area. If you arrive from behind with Enguarge, it'll simulate as a barrel cannon with better traction.

I might use that for a future side level.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » June 26th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Success! I've been looking through sprites and I believe I found something that will work for fans. It's from Kirby Super Star Ultra. I'll be working on a factory level with some fans in it, now!

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby RC Spriter » July 2nd, 2015, 2:27 pm

Very cool level designs, everyone! I have a little project going myself involving drawing custom levels, and I've made two so far, using a mix of terrains and sprites from each of the 3 DKC games (all of the stuff is credited). They're only one-layer images, but hopefully they're detailed enough to be nice to look at.

Since this is my first post, I haven't quite figured out the best way to link to images. I don't have an account for any standard image-hosting websites, so I used Google Photos instead. Hopefully the links will work, but if not please let me know.

1-1 Quirky Quay
Quirky Quay (Pic).png
Quirky Quay (Pic).png (55.48 KiB) Viewed 103643 times

Full level: http://goo.gl/photos/odbEH1SqTiXAQ48Q6
The first level, this has a mix of several different terrain types, including jungle, docks, and coral reef. They don't fit together perfectly, but I tried to make it look reasonably nice. A variety of enemies are included, mostly from DKC1. The stage also has 3 bonus levels, which are shown at the far right.

1-2 Kling Klamp Kavern
Kling Klamp Kavern (Pic).png
Kling Klamp Kavern (Pic).png (50.15 KiB) Viewed 103643 times

Full level: http://goo.gl/photos/SpRDZ5BGkp2ezH7s6
This is a DKC3 cave type level that has you mostly climbing up ropes. The start is near the bottom of the level, and the end is near the top. There are plenty of enemies, but especially Klingers and Klampons, hence the name. It might look like some pieces of the ground are a bit cut off, but those spots are supposed to indicate bottomless pits. Once again, the stage has 3 bonus levels, which are shown at the bottom.

I have some more levels in progress. Each one takes a few days to make, the hardest part definitely being piecing all of the terrain together. I'm pretty satisfied with how they turned out, though! Please let me know what you guys think of them, as well as if there are any problems regarding mistakes I've made due to my noobishness. (Even though I read the rules inside and out, you never know, there might be some stuff that you can only know with experience...)

Also, I tried not to go overboard with the smilies to avoid looking even more like a noob. But I'm sure just one would be fine... :kiddycool:

EDIT: Added sample screenshots of the two levels.
Newcomer
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » July 2nd, 2015, 7:34 pm

Welcome to DKC Atlas, RC Spriter!

I absolutely love your levels; the intricate pathways, the blended environments, the object placement, the map presentation... Everything you've shown here is beautifully crafted, and it makes me really want to explore these new areas. :)

It's especially nice to see credit given to the fellow pixel enthusiasts whose groundwork helped you create these new designs; thanks in particular for including my name. :D

Brilliant work; I can't wait to see more!

:thumbs:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby RC Spriter » July 3rd, 2015, 1:18 am

Thanks so much! :mrgreen: I'll definitely keep at it and work on some more.
Newcomer
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » July 3rd, 2015, 12:54 pm

Very nice ideas and designs! I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

I've had some levels that I've worked on where I had a hard time matching things up exactly. I sometimes will go in and change it pixel by pixel until it looks okay, but more often than not, I go through different levels to see if there is any parts of a level that match what I'm trying to do better than the original one I found. It might take a bit to look through, but sometimes you can come up with something you weren't expecting.

I really hope you have that in a file that has layers, though... otherwise it is going to be a pain to recreate all of that! :cry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby RC Spriter » July 8th, 2015, 10:36 am

Sorry, the levels are only one-layer images (PNGs), although I do have the terrains saved separately. But, I'm not sure if the terrain images would be easily usable in DKCLB, since they're not laid out perfectly with 32x32 tiles... Oh well, that wouldn't be a problem until much, much farther down the road.

In the meantime, I've finished level 1-3, called Gnawty Woods. (I suppose that could be a pun, for what players might say if they keep dying...)
Gnawty Woods (Pic).png
Gnawty Woods (Pic).png (49.87 KiB) Viewed 103643 times

Full level: https://goo.gl/photos/wjdayiy3oyRPM6Px9
This stage is set in a DKC2-styled jungle, and features Rambi and plenty of Millstones. Another thing you might notice about it is that it's LOOOOONG, but that's mostly because a good chunk of the level goes by quickly due to charging with Rambi. :rambitongue: 4 bonus levels are hidden throughout the stage, shown at the far right.

By the way, it might seem that some certain things, such as bonuses, DK coins, or camera pieces, are so obscured that you couldn't find them without some sort of outside knowledge - but that's what Cranky is for. :ck1:

Thanks for the compliments, guys... More is on the way!

EDIT: Added sample screenshots for my two previous levels (in my earlier post) and this level.
Newcomer
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » July 13th, 2015, 1:28 am

Now that looks like a very fun level!

By the way, what program are you using to make your levels?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby RC Spriter » July 14th, 2015, 2:56 am

Glad you like it! :) The programs I use are Microsoft Paint for actually putting the level together, and GameMaker 8 for editing sprites and backgrounds. I also use Microsoft Excel to make those charts that contain the enemy and item counts. It's not very advanced software, I know, but it works for me.

Level 1-4, Daredevil Docks, is done! This is my favorite one so far.
Daredevil Docks (Pic).png
Daredevil Docks (Pic).png (34.01 KiB) Viewed 103542 times

Full level: http://goo.gl/photos/8xfx9LebcvG1ntVTA

This stage is the craziest yet. It has you riding a toboggan on tracks at the lake. The toboggan can cling onto ropes and even float on the water (but only after the checkpoint, since the water is onscreen; otherwise you fall and lose a life). Near the end, there's a Haunted-Hall-esque chase sequence with a Nibbla that's eager to jump out of the water and eat you when the timer reaches zero!

One special thing to note is the barrel at the end target roulette with a picture of Koco on it. If you hit it, it bursts open and tons of Kocos flop on the deck. Nibbla will smell a fabulous meal, and he'll jump up, quickly eat all of them, and give you a Nibbla photo as a reward.

Almost done with World 1... This is fun! :dixiehappy: Just think, someday these could all be playable... Someday... :kiddysad:
Newcomer
Bananas received 7

Postby Markster » July 14th, 2015, 6:36 am

That is the most epic DKC level I have ever seen!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby vege » July 14th, 2015, 2:40 pm

your Daredevil Docks is awesome, the addition of nibbla works perfect, maybe a bigger nibbla would be cooler.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby spaceman2028 » July 15th, 2015, 1:53 am

Or maybe, just maybe, we could add in an alternate variation of SnapJaw as a replacement for that nibbla that chases you, and have another nibla(the blue one from Feeding/Fish Frenzy would work well here) jump up to take care of the cocos that were in the barrel.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » July 18th, 2015, 5:59 am

I've finished my factory level with fans.

Here is the download link for Fan-Fare Factory

And fake screenshot!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » August 14th, 2015, 8:38 am

I'm trying to come up with some more level ideas... anybody have any that they want to share?

I was thinking about making an underwater level with DKC coral and the sprites from DK Jungle Climber that I used for the Kremlantis level.

I'm going to not do another DKC2 mine level... the repeating backgrounds are just such a pain to work with! Maybe at a later time, but not right now!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » August 15th, 2015, 3:46 pm

I had this idea I posted a while back where I wanted to see some kind of space level, if that floats your boat(or whatever). More details in that post, but if you need to get some ideas for what the stage should look like, think of the "Final Countdown" stage from Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » September 1st, 2015, 4:44 am

Okay, so here is a hive version of Squitter's golden bonus. I'm probably going to make an enchanted woods one, but since several people suggested other than gold tokens, I decided to go ahead and do the hive for those that would maybe want it. Again, though, I think all of that yellow is probably too much for those that would want just golden tokens.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » September 2nd, 2015, 2:30 pm

Here is Squawk's bonus. His is the DKC3 style cave.

I'm still not sure what I'll do for Ellie's bonus. I need something that can have a lot of platforms in it, like Rambi's. I'll probably do Rattly's next.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » September 6th, 2015, 8:48 am

New level, Twilight Temple.

This level features Winky.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » September 6th, 2015, 9:07 am

Pretty nice looking temple level Phyre, but where's my Space Level archtype?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » September 7th, 2015, 10:50 am

Um, I can't just make stuff like that... :roll:

Anyway, here are the rest of the bonus rooms.

Squawks on a cliff. I didn't like the cave, so I did this as an alternate one.

Ellie. This one should have all of the land in front of the waterfalls, as to make it impossible to fall and die.

Rattly

Squitter woods. Since the hive is probably too much gold.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Ninni973 » September 8th, 2015, 10:40 am

Hey guys, I have another level idea for you all (yes, it's another foggy level), introducing:

Foggy Forest
Foggy Forest (fake DKC screenshot).png
Foggy Forest (fake DKC screenshot).png (56.98 KiB) Viewed 103006 times

Music: Not really sure...
Info: In a mysterious forest, fog starts to gloom over the Kongs, and they must find their way through, avoiding Kremlings and other baddies along the way.

I just thought it would be an interesting level and idea to look at. So, what do you guys think?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Level Builder