Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Talk about Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii, developed by Retro Studios.

Re: DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS!!! [CONFIRMED]

Postby Phyreburnz » August 22nd, 2010, 3:09 am

Well, the way I view life is that of a pessimist. The reason for that is if you have a negative view, you'll be surprised and very happy if it's good, and you won't be disappointed if it isn't good.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 22nd, 2010, 3:58 am

Jomingo, once again, there actually IS reason to be negative. I dunno if you remember, but there was this great little series of games in the 90`s with a bunch of monkeys fighting these evil crocodiles and all sorts of things- OH HAHAHA WAIT, SHOULD WE BRING THESE CHARACTERS BACK? NO BECAUSE WE DON`T NEED TO AHAHAHAH
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » August 22nd, 2010, 4:14 am

Yeah, they aren't bringing Kremlings back. That sucks. That doesn't mean the game's going to be bad, or that they aren't bringing back other characters. Seriously, when I can run through a level riding minecarts, using Diddy, shooting through barrels, and presumably ride Rambi the Rhino and talk to Cranky afterwards on the explorable world map, that sure sounds like a great DKC game. I don't see the lack of Kremlings as a huge negative, because with each game they've appeared in since DK64 they've become a less serious enemy every time, to the point where K. Rool has become a buffoon rather than a sinister overlord. If they can make a really good new enemy I'll be much happier than if they fudged up the Kremlings like everyone other than Rare has done. And besides, there will be more Kremlings soon. This game is trying something new, compounded with tons and tons and tons of stuff that's old and been neglected for so long. I'm ok with it. Besides, you don't have any idea how these tikis will turn out, they might be just as endearing an enemy as the Kremlings. Like I've said before, you don't have enough information to be negative about this, you have no idea how it will turn out.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 22nd, 2010, 6:34 am

Okay, we have differing viewpoints, I'm just gonna stop bitching about it. But nevar forget.

...Let's beh frandz.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby DK4Ever » August 22nd, 2010, 7:36 am

I'd say we should stop discussing Kremlings or the possible lack thereof at all until the game is released and we know things about it. (When discussing DKCR that is, if we're talking the DKC Trilogy or other DKC-related games that have Kremlings in it, that's all fair game of course)

I'll say this: In my view, there is no reason to be upset about this game at the current time (As I've said before. You can think what you want about vague sentences and assumptions made by editorialists on the internet, but until we have the real article (The game, for those of you who don't know) we know nothing. It'll only be about 3 more months, then we know everything. (Even then, we might not know everything. We don't know what Retro's planning, only Retro ad Miyamoto know that)

However, I feel my view is a realistic one, which is neither optimistic nor pessimistic, and I have no problem with either viewpoint. HOWEVER:

There are issues with pessimistic viewpoints on a forum like this one. If half of the members of the forum, or at least prominent members of the forum have a strongly pessimistic viewpoint (Or really one at all) about some event (The announcement/impending release of DKCR in this case) it will lead to an unhealthy difference of opinion, lack of activity (Notice Jomingo, Simion, myself and Scraps were the only ones posting in other DKCR-related threads, and most of the posts in a particular one were Jomingo and myself wondering why it was so quiet in there) and just sort of a schism. (Worst case, but ya gotta be aware).

Maybe you guys think I'm being a bit dramatic, and maybe I am, but I really enjoyed the friendlier, close-knit way the forums operated prior to DKCR's announcement, and had hoped the game would bring it all back together rather than do what it's done. Like I said back in Feferawft's thread,positive speculation is healthy.

Now to be more positive! As Jomingo said above, this game could and probably will bring back that special feel of a DKC game, which his something we haven't had for a long, long time. We'll see elements like Cranky/Animal Buddies done right, and the Tiki's might just turn out to be awesome! It looks great, and my stupid self can't WAIT 3 months. Aw man!

Well, that's my two cents.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » August 22nd, 2010, 7:52 am

Yeah, I'm done arguing about it.

Here is hedonismbot from the DKU playing the first level:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp_X-eyRNjI

You can see the inside of the Treehouse and the banana hoard cave. Also, it appear that if you ground pound inside the tree house, the Tv or boombox animates, though Hedonismbot didn't try that in this video.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 22nd, 2010, 8:58 am

Yeah, DK4Ever pretty much said what I`ve always thought: When I, and some others, began expressing negative feelings, there was a slight schism. It`s a shame a few people can`t disagree without a $#!@storm being stirred up.

But DK`s house and the cave look gorgeous. I love what Retro`s done there. And is it just me, or does the interior of the treehouse remind anyone else of how it is in the DKC TV show?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » August 22nd, 2010, 9:07 am

I don't remember the TV show interior, but if there are similarities I doubt it's intentional.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DK4Ever » August 22nd, 2010, 9:27 am

That level (What I could see of it anyway, I couldn't make out alot of details) is very similar in setup to Jungle Hijinx. As it turns out, this is making me even more excited.

Awesome! :D
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » August 22nd, 2010, 11:44 am

That level is named Jungle Hijinx too. Not a coincidence.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Jomingo » September 2nd, 2010, 12:02 pm

143765e.jpg
143765e.jpg (49.12 KiB) Viewed 112755 times

BOOM. Rambi the Rhino.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DK4Ever » September 2nd, 2010, 1:35 pm

Rambi. Yep. That's all I need to say.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Kiddy14 » September 2nd, 2010, 3:43 pm

He has a lazy look =P
Hopefully, not only he will be in it.

It's rated already!? Well, it's not that difficult to =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Blaziken257 » September 3rd, 2010, 12:06 am

I'm not too crazy on that new Rambi look, but maybe that's because I've grown up with the old one. It also looks comparable to the generally bad Nuts and Bolts artwork. At least it looks way better than any art from King of Swing. And at least he's going to be in the game. (Now I'd wish Enguarde would have been in the game, that's my favorite animal friend!)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby DK4Ever » September 3rd, 2010, 1:42 am

I mean I don't think that's what he's going to look like when he's charging. That's more of a "Huh? What the hell?" look, but I'm sure when he's all up in something's face, he won't be so lax-looking.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » September 3rd, 2010, 2:31 am

Yeah, I'm thinking that that's just an odd pose. Perhaps the angle is making it weird too. Anyway, I suspect that Enguarde is actually in it because of how sarcastic the comment was. We probably can't ride him, but there's so much water in this game he'll probably show up in one form or another.

Now give me Winky and I'll be set on animal buddies!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » September 3rd, 2010, 4:08 am

Rambi looks more like a retarded hippo. And I do agree with Blaziken257 about it being comparable to the Nuts and Bolts artwork. I hope that Rambi looks better in the game.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Jomingo » September 3rd, 2010, 5:40 am

B003O65TC6.01._SCRMZZZZZZ_.jpg
B003O65TC6.01._SCRMZZZZZZ_.jpg (201.56 KiB) Viewed 112697 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » September 3rd, 2010, 7:26 am

I has no complaints. Rambi looks like a drug addict, that's good enough for me. (But dammit no yellow box ughhh, maek one plz.)

Here's hoping this won't have the annoying black bars on the top and bottom of NSMBW and recent Wii games- I can't help that I own an SDTV! :o
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby nackhe » September 18th, 2010, 3:51 am

Posting to let you all know I just received a Dutch game magazine in the mail with an interview with Retro and Nintendo about DKCR.

I'll translate the good parts:

Jurjen (name of the interviewer):
I just played the game for a bit, and it's quite difficult at times. Don't you think it might be a little too hard for some people?

Nintendo:
Did you play the originals?

Jurjen:
All of them!

Nintendo:
Then you might've forgotten that the originals were quite hard at times as well.

Jurjen:
That's true.

Nintendo:
Actually, in the final version of the game you'll be able to purchase power-ups with bananacoins you collect within the levels. If you fail to complete a level in a single go, and play the same level a few times, you'll end up with enough coins to, for example, make DK stronger, or buy another heart.

[...]

Jurjen:
In the version I played you chose what level to play from a menu, but I assume the final version of the game will have you walk across a map like the old games, right?

Nintendo:

That is correct. We made some beautiful maps that you can rotate and zoom in and out on. Your progression on the map doesn't have to be a linear one per se, sometimes you can skip or unlock a level on the map.

Jurjen:

How many levels are there in total?

Retro:

Tons.

[...]

Jurjen:
So can we expect some help from friendly animals?

Retro (with caution) (it actually says the "with caution" part):
You can look forward to a few, eh, pretty recognisable, eh, "elements".

Jurjen:
Did you say Elephants? So Ellie the elephant is back?

Retro (Laughs):
No, no, that's not what I said! I meant recognisable game-elements, like in general.

Jurjen:

So no Ellie? I want Ellie.

Retro:
You'll have to wait till November to see everything that's in the game.

Jurjen:
Ugh, that'll be hard.

Retro:
Haha, You won't be disappointed. Theres plenty more features/things hidden in the game we haven't told you anything about yet.

--------------------------------------------------------

That's the good bits. Please do excuse me if some of it is unclear due to my translations or anything.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » September 19th, 2010, 1:36 am

Pretty interesting, and your translations are fine. I like how they conveniently avoid revealing anything worthwhile. (We had pretty much already known about map screens. I did find it weird that the reporter mentioned Ellie, though.) :?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby nackhe » September 19th, 2010, 3:53 am

We knew about map screens already? Was new to me :P. At least, the zooming in and out part.

And he mentioned Ellie because "elements" sounds somewhat like "elephants", and he was trying to get the guy from Retro/Nintendo to open up a little I guess.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » September 24th, 2010, 5:18 am

Holy crap guys- I was on Retro's website earlier on a school computer and someone walked past and noticed the Donkey Kong Country logo. He stopped and said "Donkey Kong Country, that was a good game! Wait... are they making a new one?" I was like, "YES THEY ARE!!" and he started saying how much he loved the DKCs, and how the best game he ever played was Donkey Kong 64 (still Rare, so I let it slide. Plus that was my mentality for many years.)

Anyway yeah. This game is going to be huge when it hits- like something we haven't seen since the 90's when these epic games were being released left and right, and they took the entire media world by storm. Now the only games you hear about in the mainstream news are Halo and Call of Duty. I can't wait until that changes.

Also RAMBI. fads;jksadfjkl;dfa;jkl
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Phyreburnz » September 29th, 2010, 8:44 am

Well, I just watched another video of the new game... The animation looks a bit wonky to me... The way Donkey runs is weird, it looks as if he's running diagonally toward the screen. And Donkey slaps Rambi's ass to make him run faster... Also, I noticed a puzzle piece, so maybe DK+Banjo?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby DK4Ever » October 2nd, 2010, 3:37 am

I forget if we've mentioned this or not, but the pre-order bonus thing is totally awesome.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/24/donke ... -peel-ing/

Hell yes.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 2nd, 2010, 5:08 am

Eh... you think so? I'm personally not that excited by it. I thought a Donkey Kong tie or something would be obvious, but oh well. I'll still get it because I'm an absolute Donkey Kong whore.

Spoiler!
On the other hand... maybe not.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Phyreburnz » October 2nd, 2010, 11:13 am

It seems weird to me that Diddy just rides Donkey's back... I don't know, just putting that out there.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 2nd, 2010, 2:36 pm

Ehh. Seeing Diddy on DK`s back reminded me instantly of Jungle Climber, but now I realize it`s a very Banjo-Kazooie-esque thing (which makes sense, since Retro said they were taking inspiration from that game.) It is very different from the other DKC`s... I`ll miss being Diddy, in one-player at least. :/

And that`s another thing: we`ve ALL imagined what it would be like if two players could control both Kongs, but I don`t like how they`re making it more "family-friendly" by allowing 2nd player to pretty much do nothing and get on DK`s back. I was FOUR when I first played Donkey Kong Country, and I was perfectly fine at it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Phyreburnz » October 3rd, 2010, 1:15 am

I hear that. I would be so mad if I was second player and got to sit around and do nothing.

I don't think that DK and Banjo should be combined... I mean they are similar on 62, but DKC and BK... I don't know. I don't see why they didn't make it like dkc1, having diddy as a playable character and add the thing in dkc 2 and 3 where he can go on Donkey's shoulders... although Diddy would break if he tried to carry Donkey.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Jomingo » October 3rd, 2010, 11:18 am

Player two doesn't have to ride DK's back, it's just an option so player one doesn't get pissed off at the guy who keeps dying. It seems to be a logical evolution of the buddy mechanic: having simultaneous two player co-op. DKC had the most co-op a platformer really could do without actually going to full co-op, and this game is just putting it all the way there. And to do this, minor tweaks to the gameplay have to be made. The banjo-like elements are only in place so that player two still has something to do if he decides to ride DK's back. The Jiggies on the other hand, well we'll see how those turn out but it doesn't seem that far of a departure from the DKC's. It's essentially like collecting bonus coins to unlock lost world levels, only they're shaped like puzzle pieces.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » October 10th, 2010, 9:55 am

DK4Ever wrote:I forget if we've mentioned this or not, but the pre-order bonus thing is totally awesome.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/24/donke ... -peel-ing/
Hell yes.

I just pre-ordered the game at GS and I'll hopefully be getting the bonus banana pouch with the game... :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 15th, 2010, 7:38 am

So yeah, a few completely random musings that have been in my head for awhile...

First, it is becoming increasingly weird to me that what we had assumed about Nintendo and Miyamoto (in terms of them not caring about DK or his fans) were largely incorrect. I mean, it's completely forgivable that sixteen years ago Miyamoto said one bad thing about DKC as a reaction to people bashing Yoshi's Island. And with Jungle Beat: is it not completely natural that he would try to take the reigns back on a character that he created? Is it really fair to expect him to automatically whore out something that another company did to Donkey Kong in favor of his own creations? No. He was just flexing his creative muscles and seeing what a Donkey Kong sidescroller would be like if he was in charge of it. I like to think of it as a Miyamoto tribute to DKC, rather than a "HA IN YOUR FACE" type game. I thought it was fun to boot, but when fans became vocal about disliking it Nintendo heard them loud and clear and proceeded to shove Rare characters into every nook and cranny of the Marioverse they could find: we all would've preferred them being in a mainstream Donkey Kong game instead, but Mario sports games are a dime a dozen and are an excellent way of spreading awareness of Rare's Donkey Kong characters to Mario fans. Nintendo knew they would have to make a new DKC sooner or later, they were just looking for a company they knew could do the job right, which they apparently found in Retro in early 2008.

Teal dear, Miyamoto's not evil and we've actually had it pretty good these past few years. Just saying.

And there's also a possibility the new villian's name is Kalimba. I actually like it.

ALSO (sorry for all the new lines)- would anyone else love it if K. Rool and Kalimba worked together in a future title, and Kalimba possessed K. Rool's brain or something to make him like... super powerful? I just thought of that. I love K. Rool but he's not the brightest crayon in the box.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » October 15th, 2010, 9:19 am

On the subject of Jungle Beat, Miyamoto had very little to do with it. He was just one of the numerous "overseers", and didn't have much to do with the end result. New Play Control Jungle Beat, however, was done by one of Miyamoto's teams and had his direct influence, which shows why it had so much more DKC flare in it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 15th, 2010, 2:28 pm

Yeah, even so, he probably had at least some level of influence, and I can't help but think the Blast Barrels and DK coins were just warm-ups for Donkey Kong Country Returns. :P

Also, I am LOVING this screenshot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25792657@N00/5081729350/in/set-72157625038865459/
It's just... fantastic. This game is looking more and more better each time we see it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 23rd, 2010, 5:05 am

Possible spoiler, click with caution:

Spoiler!
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/donkeykongcountryreturns/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-56849464&pid=997764:

In one of the cruelest displays of irony the world has ever seen, it looks like Cranky might be the only helper Kong. I say it's ironic because most of us said things like "I'd be happy if Cranky was the only other one in this" and "Cranky's rants alone could save this." Be careful what you wish for, Donkey Kong fandom! :twisted:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Simion32 » October 23rd, 2010, 5:32 am

Spoiler!
Could possibly be fake.
Evidence: http://www.nintendopower.com/DECEMBER ISSUE on sale 10/26/10It's nowhere near the 26th yet. That could be a troll.EDIT: Scans or it didn't happen. :ugeek:
EDIT2: Something deep in me says it's the truth, but IDK....
Aww ****: http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=140096

So much for Funky Kong. Oh well... :(
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 23rd, 2010, 7:22 am

Spoiler!
Yeah. Bad show, Retro.

To me a good DKC requires at least three helper Kongs- DKC2 of course had four plus Klubba- but at least it looks like Cranky's crankiness has returned. Someone at the DKU posted some quotes are something, and I was rather pleased. Also he calls DK his grandson. (Mwahaha!)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 23rd, 2010, 10:22 am

(Intelligently double-posted for purposes of getting this on top and notifying of new information, also pointing out that it's not a spoiler anymore since it's in Nintendo Power. motherflipping Cranky but where the hell is everyone else)

EDITED BY JOMINGO: We don't need this language here, seriously take it easy.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Simion32 » October 23rd, 2010, 12:55 pm

Tiptup, I think that's unnecessary... :roll:

Never really cared about Candy Kong, but without Funky this game just lost its atmosphere. We don't have the charm of the Kremling Krew. No water levels. And we won't be seeing our main monkey anytime soon, by the looks of it.

What the f---, Retro.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 23rd, 2010, 1:01 pm

I, personally, don`t think it was unnecessary. That was literally the reaction I had to this information and I think Retro, Nintendo, or whoever did this needs to know they messed up big time. Plus Nintendo Power`s remarks about Rare`s characters... simply unexcusable. I cannot believe we`re still being treated like this. UN. EXCUSABLE.

(Although I am glad that Cranky`s cranky again, but grrr fml.)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » October 23rd, 2010, 2:36 pm

Tiptup, I'm not going to be nice and just say, "well you probably shouldn't have said that...." Do. Not. Post like that. At least put it in spoilers for christ's imaginary sakes. We don't need f-bombs dominating the content of your post. Use profanity in moderation. They are a sometimes snack.

As for the news, here are my thoughts:
-As for Cranky, I'm glad he's in and being represented the best he possibly could, presumably undoing an incredible mistake by Paon. Also, Squawks and the rest of his shop is awesome.
-About Cranky presumably being the only Kong helper: I'm disappointed but not surprised. We view this game from a very continuity/story based perspective, but you know they are looking at it from a gameplay perspective. Wrinkly is dead and kinda useless, Swanky might as well be dead, and the only other ones that matter are Candy and Funky. Candy was out from the start, designated save points are out of date and ridiculous by today's standards. Funky easily could have been worked into this, but it was easier to navigate without him. They should've put him in, but we all know this is from a gameplay based point of view and he does nothing to aid the gameplay. Cranky was the gold standard and bare minimum, and it is the minimum that I said was guaranteed. It went down essentially exactly as I expected it.
-With Squawks being an item and Enguarde (I'm assuming) ruled out, I don't think we'll be getting any more buddies. Squitters won't fit in this game at all, and Winky and Expresso just seem... outdated. I honestly don't see them adding that much to the gameplay, and Rambi was really the only "must have" of the bunch. As I said before, Cranky and Rambi were the bare minimum, and are probably what we're getting. Some of you didn't think either of them would be so I'm still very excited for both.
-About NP's remarks, HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY BE OUTRAGED BY THIS. This is NOT new by any means, and has been happening with this game for months, and the franchise for over a decade. It was completely to be expected and to freak out like you never saw it coming is just juvenile or a sign of ignorance. The gaming media (ESPECIALLY Nintendo based media) is constantly taking jabs at Kremlings and pretty much all of DKC. Deal with it. It's not new, and it's not going to stop.
-Are we still complaining about Water Levels? That is old news and wasn't heartbreaking then, hardly worthy of mention. We have freaking Pirate Ship Rigging levels! Suck it up and look at the dozens of good things.

The Kongs and Kremlings are fully legitimate complaints (though some are more upset than others), but some of this stuff is just plain nitpicky. Yes, complaining about water levels is being nitpicky. They are significant in a way, but they aren't that big a deal, especially considering we have probably half a dozen minecart levels, and FRIGGIN RIGGNG LEVELS. This game is going to have more of a mixed reaction than Jungle Beat based on it's significance alone, but it's lack of water levels is not why.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » October 23rd, 2010, 3:06 pm

This game is giving me a mixed reaction, but I say we give it a chance.
Even with the Donkey Kong Country title, we know this isn't really DKC4...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » October 23rd, 2010, 3:21 pm

I'm glad it's not DKC4, and it clearly never was intended to be DKC4. If they called it DKC4 they never would have been able to please everybody. They wouldn't meet anyone's expectations. Since it's DKC Returns, they are taking inspiration from the DKC's, but they aren't restricted to following it down to the t. That way they can do things new and not disappoint people who are expecting DKC4. And I like a lot of the things they are doing new, although there are a few big things old that are missing. I'd say as far as a DKC Revival, it has all of the bare minimums down. It passes inspection with Cranky, Rambi, Minecarts, and a few other things. It surely isn't an insane fan game full of throwbacks and old characters, but it passes all the must have elements. As a new game though, it excels. Sure, it doesn't have a TON of revived stuff, but all the new stuff they've incorporated is really cool and it's shaping up to be a really awesome game on it's own.

So it certainly is a mixed bag. My opinion is leaning a lot closer to good then it is to bad, even with the exclusions. There are a couple big disappointments, but there is a whole lot of really exciting and cool things in this game.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 24th, 2010, 3:06 am

So... Sean said this on the DKU, and I'm posting it here because I think he's spot on with it:

Sean wrote:Honestly, that's what annoying me about all this more than anything. Not that there's no one else in the game, but that the people who don't even like the series, or at least not the parts that make it DKC, are "winning" with it. I'm so, so tired of people who actually like DKC's cast basically being the laughing-stock of the Nintendo fandom, and I was really hoping this game was going to put the end to at least some of that. But if there's hardly anyone actually in the game, and every site is glad about that... when the hell is it ever going to be okay to legitimately like Donkey Kong Country?

I wasn't surprised by Nintendo Power's comments at all, no. That doesn't change the fact that it was a dodgy thing to say and they took a legitimate legacy that was near and dear to my heart and made it the retarded punchline of some crappy one-liner. I HATE how gaming journalism has shaped this series for the past decade, and sadly it looks like it's never going to end. Heck, when Jungle Climber came out, Game Informer told Donkey Kong to "go back to your bongos, pal". What the hell kinda crap is that? Isn't anyone else tired of it?

And I don't think this game is leaning more toward the good, it's leaning more toward being purposely devoid of fanservice so as not to illicit a negative backlash from gaming journalism or the majority of players. If it was filled with DKC characters and stuff magazines would probably make more dumb-ass remarks like the one above and give it a lower score or some kinda crap, and all the thirty-something Halo fans would be bitching 'cuz it's full of talking monkeys and crocodiles or some kinda crap. I thought Retro had the balls to take risks with this thing, and break the mold and everything... but I guess I was wrong.

And also: at the time I made that post up there I wasn't breaking Qyz's edict of swearing, but not swearing at a member. Sooo.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Scraps69 » October 24th, 2010, 3:56 am

Ah Tiptup Jr... sometimes I wish I could reach through the screen and slap you silly.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 24th, 2010, 4:09 am

I`d ask why, but my level of caring is pretty much zero right now. I`m the only person on this forum telling it like it is, and you`re all getting mad at me for it. I knew from the start I wouldn`t be able to keep defending this piece-o'-$#!† game, and everything that`s happened over the past few days is just icing on the cake. Or nails in the coffin, whichever you prefer.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » October 24th, 2010, 7:24 am

First of all, I wrote those rules so I'm aware of them, but whether it's strictly outlined in the rules or not it still makes this place look bad to have posts like that one. We don't want to alienate people.

Next, I think Retro is not being ball-less and giving in to the media, in fact, I think that they are showing balls by defying the fans. I don't like it, but they new fans wouldn't like some of the things they did and they had the balls to do it anyway because they thought it was best for the gameplay. They don't care what the media is saying, hell if they had filled this with past characters the media would probably start liking them just by virtue of the fact that Retro and Nintendo endorsed them. That's not the their point, their point is that they have been completely gameplay biased when designing this game and certain elements don't help the gameplay at all. I don't necessarily like that, but that's why it is the way it is.

Like I said, as a DKC game, this has met all the requirements to pass. Jungle Beat abandoned both gameplay and universe, this game has faithfully recreated the gameplay and has touched on all the basics of the universe. You want a game to delve way deeper into the universe, but this game has met all the basics, and done leaps and bound over DKJB. This is not and never was going to be DKC4. It's DKC Returns. Everything we've seen has been implied in it's title. Nothing should come as a surprise, except for how much they have included and not what they haven't included.
As a sequel, this excels. The revival part has only met basic requirements, but everything that it does new exceeds all expectations. This game looks effing fun, has incredible graphics, and is going to be great. It has a ton of little throwbacks and inclusions, but they didn't include anything they didn't think was necessary. Because of this there are some disappointments, but that won't stop the end product from being an incredibly good game. I haven't lost any interest with these scans, and like I said before the good things we saw outweigh the negatives in my opinion.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Krow111 » October 24th, 2010, 3:49 pm

THEDITYN, don't post questions that have nothing to do with the topic :roll: . Also, use correct grammar.
Anyways, Cranky Kong being the only helper Kong isn't a huge negative. Let's look at it like this:
Candy Kong is useless now because you can most likely save whenever you want to.
Funky Kong would have been useful, but hey, maybe there's a quicker way to travel between worlds in DKCR, like a world select screen or something.
Wrinky Kong has the same function as Candy, so yeah, same goes for Wrinkly.
And finally, Swanky Kong. He was the one Kong I wanted to be in this game for sure, because he's only been in two games. TWO! :evil:. Anyways, he useless now too since you can buy extra lives from Cranky.

I still have high hopes for this game since it looks awesome :D.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Kiddy14 » October 24th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Tiptup Jr. wrote:If it was filled with DKC characters and stuff magazines would probably make more dumb-ass remarks like the one above and give it a lower score or some kinda crap, and all the thirty-something Halo fans would be bitching 'cuz it's full of talking monkeys and crocodiles or some kinda crap.

This is something I agree with, people even questioned Funky Kong in Mario Kart Wii as being completely random and unnecessary =S
The DKC characters are the casual ones at the moment, with no defined main game (even Daisy falls in this category). And the only way that could have helped all of them from this fate just confirmed not including them at all... For some reason a lot of people hate the DK characters (didn't a magazine recently top-listed DKC as one of the most overrated games?); WTH there are more Mario characters than DK characters! I'd love to ditch Dry Bowser and Daisy who hasn't had a single game since whatever and Toadette and Paratroopa with Magikoopa and Shy Guy who wasn't an original character to begin with!!!

I can say this isn't really Donkey Kong Country but Donkey and Diddy Kong go on Adventure ALONE!
But let's wait till we get to actually play the game; I'm not saying the game will be bad (I say this will be awesome), I just don't like it having the title "Donkey Kong Country."
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

PreviousNext

Return to Donkey Kong Country Returns