Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Talk about Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii, developed by Retro Studios.

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby The Guy » January 16th, 2011, 6:00 am

As for the difficulty, it takes time to get used to it. By now, a lot of levels are fairly easy for me.


I also need to get just one puzzle piece in Bobbing Basalt to finish collecting them...
Veteran Venturer
Posts: 536
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Gnawzooka » January 16th, 2011, 5:29 pm

DKCplayer wrote:The original songs in the game I probably won't have in my head, but they're not bad.[/spoiler]

I'm not a fan of most of them but the two Rocket Barrel themes are awesome.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 4
Posts: 677
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby DKCplayer » January 18th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Ugh, time trial looks like a pain when it comes to gold medals. Couldn't get one in Jungle Hyjinx. I was seven split seconds late! :x

Also, I don't know if this Easter Egg has been pointed out yet, but just in case, I'll put it here.
Spoiler!
In DK's tree-house, go to the TV set, and go a ground pound in front of it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 12
Posts: 349
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Mayo » February 6th, 2011, 10:14 pm

^ That one's kinda obvious, but it reminds me of another easter egg...

Spoiler!
When DK is left idle in his house, he'll get out a DS lite and start playing it
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4
Posts: 92
Joined: 2011

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Ribbedebie » February 9th, 2011, 3:10 am

Yay, easter eggs!
Spoiler!
Not only in his house, he'll get out a DS everywhere if left a while. :P Also, try doing nothing while at Cranky's. He'll fall asleep, heh.

And if one leaves Diddy standing for a while, he'll yawn. D'aww.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 56
Posts: 230
Joined: 2010

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Scraps69 » February 10th, 2011, 9:31 am

just saw your run in 5-5 simion32. Heh, the level and the speed you took it reminds me a lot of your blizzard barrel blast ;) EDIT but oh my god someone did it in 52.72 seconds. Crazy crazy.

EDIT2: Simion32, did you happen to hack into your wii and change the control settings so that you don't need to shake to roll? I've heard people are doing it on homebrew.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2
Posts: 287
Joined: 2010

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Jomingo » February 10th, 2011, 9:42 am

I've seen people hack it so you can use classic controller without any motion whatsoever. Kinda sweet.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Simion32 » February 10th, 2011, 11:23 am

Scraps69 wrote:EDIT2: Simion32, did you happen to hack into your wii and change the control settings so that you don't need to shake to roll? I've heard people are doing it on homebrew.
Nope, my time is a genuine run. No hacks involved whatsoever.

I'd commented somewhere on YouTube that I or someone else could get a 52 second run. I suppose I was right!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 237
Posts: 2634
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Mayo » February 12th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Jomingo wrote:I've seen people hack it so you can use classic controller without any motion whatsoever. Kinda sweet.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait what? Tell me, please. How can you change the control system.

Button = Roll

DO WANT 8D
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4
Posts: 92
Joined: 2011

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Jomingo » February 13th, 2011, 6:44 am

I don't know how to do it but I can assure you that those hacks are out there. You'd be surprised with what homebrew is possible on the Wii.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby The Guy » February 13th, 2011, 2:52 pm

Right now all I have to do in Mirror Mode are 7-K & 8-K, as well as Thugly and Tiki Tong.


Recently I've beaten mirror Perilous Passage in one try and nearly failed getting a gold on Feather Fiend.
Veteran Venturer
Posts: 536
Joined: 2008


Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Jomingo » February 15th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Could you not troll DKCR topics? That'd be great. If you don't like the game, you could, I don't know, not post about it? Yeah, do that.


By the way, DKCR is better than your favorite game (who's trolling now!).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7
Posts: 2312
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby HavocReaper48 » February 15th, 2011, 1:22 pm

Jomingo wrote:Could you not troll DKCR topics? That'd be great. If you don't like the game, you could, I don't know, not post about it? Yeah, do that.


By the way, DKCR is better than your favorite game (who's trolling now!).


Countering troll with troll= More troll. Do not.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 2
Posts: 500
Joined: 2010

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 16th, 2011, 3:28 am

Image

Oh yeah, that's better.

Jomingo wrote:By the way, DKCR is better than your favorite game (who's trolling now!).


Well damn, that hurts my feelings! Good job buddy!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9
Posts: 1509
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Blaziken257 » February 20th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Wow, I can't believe that people are still arguing about this game. Sure, it doesn't have too many familiar characters, but the gameplay is solid. That more than makes up for it. For one thing, I like how the game is difficult and has a lot to do (like Time Attack or a certain unlockable feature).

Also, that last boss reminds me of:

Spoiler!
Rudy the Clown, Andross, Wham Bam Rock, Wham Bam Jewel, Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and last, but not least, Donkey Kong himself from Donkey Kong '94!
By the way, anybody who complains about the lack of characters obviously has never played Donkey Kong Land, and that was a good game too.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 107
Posts: 331
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Ribbedebie » February 20th, 2011, 9:56 pm

I think people mostly miss K. Rool and the Kremlings, but just lump it together by saying "old characters". Funny, I see people hating on this game because it lacks some characters, while I see barely anyone hating on Jungle Beat, which only had DK and some effin' bananas! (I never played it though, bear with me)

I however do agree with you... Returns is an amazing game and deserves all the praise it gets. Some people wanted nostalgia, but what we got is an epic game that rivals the originals in awesomeness. For that, I will gladly miss the nostalgia (and hey, it's still present! The music, anyone?)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 56
Posts: 230
Joined: 2010

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 21st, 2011, 2:05 am

By the way, anybody who complains about the lack of characters obviously has never played Donkey Kong Land, and that was a good game too


A game that Rare made, so your argument is invalid. At this time the series was young and only had one game.

Ribbedebie wrote:I think people mostly miss K. Rool and the Kremlings, but just lump it together by saying "old characters". Funny, I see people hating on this game because it lacks some characters, while I see barely anyone hating on Jungle Beat, which only had DK and some effin' bananas! (I never played it though, bear with me)


Except Jungle Beat didn't waltz around calling itself a Donkey Kong Country game. The intent of Jungle Beat's creators was to make it as different from DKC as possible, and that's what they did. So it is perfectly excusable that it doesn't have any recurring characters. But you would think, in a game with Donkey Kong Country in the title that there would be a little more respect for the series. Also, NO CHARACTER from Jungle Beat has ever appeared in any other game, ever. So much for Nintendo phasing out Rare's legacy, huh guys.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9
Posts: 1509
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Ribbedebie » February 22nd, 2011, 2:26 am

Er... I don't have any counterargument to that. Dang it.

Still loving Returns here, and nothing can change that, yadda yadda. Sorry about that.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 56
Posts: 230
Joined: 2010

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 22nd, 2011, 2:39 am

I mean... I'm not trying to argue about anything, really. And I don't care that you like it or not. But I'm sick of people saying, "Oh, Tiptup, how can you not like this game it's so perfect." I have my own opinion, and I'm very vocal about it, but I try not to attack people and I'd like not to be attacked.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9
Posts: 1509
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Ribbedebie » February 22nd, 2011, 9:07 pm

Oh, I see. I'm sorry. Well, I'll respect your opinion. After all, I'm very vocal about mine too, so I guess I should respect other's, in turn. I can get really, insanely defensive over the stuff I like. It's nothing personal, I promise. :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 56
Posts: 230
Joined: 2010

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Kiddy14 » February 24th, 2011, 2:35 am

They announced the winner of the Donkey Kong Arcade.
Spoiler!
Somebody wrote:

I had written something here, but I backed off ._.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25
Posts: 1134
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 24th, 2011, 8:14 am

Haha, cool! They even have Donkey Kong in person.

(But I really don't understand what's under that spoiler tag... at least specify who you're talking about.)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9
Posts: 1509
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby The Guy » February 28th, 2011, 1:06 am

Just finished Mirror Mode. Yay.
Veteran Venturer
Posts: 536
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Mayo » March 15th, 2011, 6:16 pm

I just feel like sharing this:

Image
FFFF :evil:


and


Image
DOHOHOHOHO 8D



Time trial probably has to be the most flawed system in the game, couldn't they have made death = restart clock? And if you hit a checkpoint, time would be saved up until that point, so if you die you could return to whatever time you had when you initially reach the checkpoint.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4
Posts: 92
Joined: 2011

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Tailikku » March 18th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Blaziken257 wrote:Also, that last boss reminds me of:
Rudy the Clown, Andross, Wham Bam Rock, Wham Bam Jewel, Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and last, but not least, Donkey Kong himself from Donkey Kong '94!


That's what I thought of when I fought him, but I didn't think of Giant DK.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 11
Posts: 56
Joined: 2011

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Markster » May 31st, 2011, 1:22 am

I just played DKC Returns, its a great game.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37
Posts: 1050
Joined: 2010

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Scraps69 » June 26th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Just finished the games to 200%, puzzle pieces and KONG. I enjoyed the game a lot more in mirror mode.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2
Posts: 287
Joined: 2010

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 28th, 2011, 2:10 pm

Damn. Where are you in terms of time trials? And I think regular mode is better than Mirror Mode.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9
Posts: 1509
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Scraps69 » July 4th, 2011, 8:15 am

eh not interested in the time trails especially because of shake roll and I have other things to do such as DKC reloaded heh.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2
Posts: 287
Joined: 2010

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Ribbedebie » July 7th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Truth to be told, I could miss the time trails like a toothache. (yay, Dutch figure of speech!) It seems rather out of place in a DK game and I hate how the timer doesn't reset when you fail once.

The rest of the game is phenomenal, though. I just love the environments. Gorgeous.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 56
Posts: 230
Joined: 2010

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby The Guy » July 16th, 2011, 4:17 am

Hey guys. I just feel like pointing out that all of instruments of the boss tikis in the game can be heard in the final boss battle theme. The panpipe and accordion are the least noticeable instruments, though.
Veteran Venturer
Posts: 536
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby BlueTronic » January 16th, 2013, 7:46 am

Originally, I was dissatisfied with this game and just quit playing at the beach world because it angered me so. I must have grown a lot of patience since then, cause a friend convinced me to continue it and now I really like it. I've just completed it. Perhaps I was expecting the game to measure up to the original, or expected it to feel exactly like Donkey Kong Country.

Cons:
-As I'm sure everyone else was also thinking; Tikis, wtf? :huh:
-The same four bonuses were being recycled throughout the entire game
-The colors were too bright and not vivid enough. This seems a bit picky, I know, but it does make a good bit of difference
-Not enough animal buddies
-The KONG letters weren't golden

Pros:
-The fact that they stuck as close to the original as they did
-All the goofy slapstick gags
-The music was excellent in most pieces
-Rather than just repeating the same objects and terrain on levels, fresh obstacles were introduced with each level
-The rolling piece of mine cart track on 4-3 Bombs Away. I was fanboying over the awesomeness of that part :lol:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 103
Posts: 1392
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 19th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Jomingo wrote:You are like bipolar when it comes to this game.


Sooo.

My brother brought this game over the other day. I played through it again, got to World 8... guys, you have to understand where I'm coming from. The Donkey Kong Country games MADE MY FRICKING CHILDHOOD. They mean so much to me. So yeah, when some other company comes along and makes a game called "Donkey Kong Country Returns" I'm gonna have reservations about it and, I dunno, half-expect Donkey Kong Country to return.

There certainly are amazing aspects of this game. The level design is astounding, and the music manages to sound new and retro at the same time, even though it's mostly remixes. I especially loved the music in the cliff and factory levels. The gameplay itself does have some pretty serious problems, the motion controls quickly start to suck ass, and there's no continuous roll through enemies when you're just being Donkey Kong.

I don't mind that Retro put their own spin on the mythos. I could even excuse K. Rool not being in. It's just the WAY they marketed this, the grand return of the Donkey Kong series; it would be like Super Mario Bros. 4 without Bowser, Banjo-Threeie without Grunty. When an interviewer asked Michael Kelbaugh if the Kremlings would return, he laughed his ass off as if the mere notion was preposterous and declared there would be no crocodiles in HIS game. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. It was offensive and disgusting and I'm surprised there wasn't as big an outlash from the fanbase as there was; then again, most of us were already beleaguered and weak from a severe drought of triple-A DK games and were willing to take anything we got. I stayed strong, and was treated like a lunatic for daring to suggest this game might NOT have been Jesus.

Is Returns okay? Yeah, sure. If they had given it a different name and been a little gentler to the fanbase, I might even love it. But as it stands now, I believe my widely varying opinions of the title are completely justified and I still feel we deserved just a little more.

Returns 3D? Well... that's a topic for another day.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9
Posts: 1509
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 27th, 2013, 10:04 am

Everyone, I'd like to ask an honest question here: is there anyone on this forum who hates this game as much as I do? And thinks there are only three Donkey Kong Country games (like a true fan should?) I'm bored as hell but also genuinely wondering if anyone here dislikes this game, and to what extent. Not trying to start a $#!@storm. Thanks.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9
Posts: 1509
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Postby CountryFan » August 27th, 2013, 12:10 pm

I like Returns well enough, but hate it in comparison to the SNES trilogy. Doesn't feel quite the same, but still good. Certainly miss the Kremlings, though. Also don't really care THAT much for Retro's handling of Cranky, but still way, WAY better than how Nintendo handled him! (read: King of Swing, Jungle Climber)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23
Posts: 79
Joined: 2011

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Postby Qyzbud » August 27th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Honestly, Junior... I really like DKCR.

It's not perfect — no game is — but it's fun, challenging, beautiful, charming and packed with DKC essence.

Perhaps the controls could have been better (less waggly), and being unable to roll/cartwheel through a series of enemies (and hence no multiplicative speed boost) was a touch disappointing... and of course it was a shame not to see a few more returning characters — Kremlings and animal buddies especially — but in my opinion those are minor, forgivable quibbles, and I certainly think Retro nailed it, overall.

Tiptup Jr. wrote:[...] is there anyone on this forum who hates this game as much as I do?

If they had given it a different name and been a little gentler to the fanbase, I might even love it.


Seems to me your entire opinion of the game hinges on what they called it, and perhaps an offhand comment about crocodiles. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 671
Posts: 3228
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 28th, 2013, 11:16 am

What can I say, I'm a purist to the original games. In my opinion, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3 are effing Jesus and every other game bows down to them. Donkey Kong Country Returns? Without K. Rool? b...*bleep*...ch please. (The b...*bleep*...ch being Retro, not you guys.) Obviously Retro are not fans at all if they go out of their way to not include what made the original games great, atmosphere and memorable motherflipping characters. I am disgusted by their disrespect. Going by their logic, you might as well call any game with Donkey Kong "DKC Returns." Mario Super Sluggers? Sure, why not! Wait, that game actually had Donkey Kong characters? OH SHI-

Alright, I've spoken my peace and will stop trying to push this further (although if anyone wants to try refuting any of my points, feel free.) Man, you could fill a book with my anti-Returns posts. Which is ironic because Batman Returns is effing great. I will admit that some of the level designs in DKCR are okay but they simply should not have marketed it as the return of Donkey Kong Country.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9
Posts: 1509
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Postby CaptainEddie » August 31st, 2013, 10:58 am

You have to understand that Retro never set out to create an exact replica of Rare's take on the series.

If you're implying that the Kremlings are what made the original series great, then I'm afraid you're missing the point. I loved K. Rool and the Kremling Krew. And it would've been fun to have them back but the game certainly isn't broken without them. Besides, each DKC added new enemies.

For a short time (in my early teens, when I was too cool for everything) I disliked DKC3 because the art style took on a goofier feel than the previous games. My only issue was that the enemies looked silly. I liked the environments, the atmosphere, and of course the gameplay. But I scoffed at the game anyway because I disliked the enemy designs.

This feeling last for all of about two or three weeks before I realized that all that really mattered was the gameplay. The enemy designs didn't matter, their attack patterns did. The function they served in the game. And while I still may not like the way the Buzzes or Kobbles look, I love the game anyway because it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Pun very much intended.

It's funny because I was reading through some of the scans posted here and came across a preview for DKC3. In it, the author laments the arrival of a new DKC game rather than Killer Instinct 2. DKC3 was released when I was a mere two years old- by the time I was old enough to really appreciate it, it'd already been a classic. It's always been a three-part series to me, and I never really considered that people would be tired of seeing it the third time around.

This is because it turned out to be a fantastic game and years into the future, all that mattered was that it was a great game.

Returns was released just short of three years ago. The lack of Kremlings was a bummer before November 2010 because we had hope that there would be K. Rool or other Kongs or more animal buddies. But that was three years ago. We know what the game is, what it contains, and who is and isn't in it. None of that is unknown anymore, and what we're left with is a well-constructed, terrific game. Whether the enemies look like this or this, what matters is that they bring similar things to the game and the result is great fun.
And that's all anybody is going to care about years into the future- the quality of the gameplay.

It's called Donkey Kong Country Returns because it returns to the gameplay that we all loved and breathes new life into it. If Retro didn't love the DKC series (which I disagree with), it's apparent that they put a lot of love into their game.

If the title really bothers you that much, just tape a new name onto the box. It really shouldn't make or break the game.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26
Posts: 432
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Postby Tiptup Jr. » September 1st, 2013, 11:36 am

I'm on a dodgy phone, so I'll just use actual quotation marks.

"Besides, each DKC added new enemies." Each DKC still had Kremlings, and...

In regards to the name, I'll use this argument until the end of time: Imagine if they stopped making major Mario games after Super Mario 64, and ten years later a studio who had never worked with Mario made a game called "Super Mario Bros. Returns" with Mario, Yoshi, and MAYBE Luigi, but that's it. No Koopas, no Bowser, no Peach, no Toads... that would be nonsense, right? Hell yeah! Well that's what they did with "Returns."

I am not arguing that the DKC games were only good because of Kremlings; however, if you think the games were only good because of gameplay then you fundamentally misunderstand the series. A good game masterfully blends gameplay, atmosphere, sound, characters, graphics and storlyine to deliver its experience. All of these things are what made the DKC series great, they're what made Donkey Kong Country... Donkey Kong Country. Names matter a great deal in our society, on a deeply symbollic level when it comes to artforms like video games. So yeah, forgive me when I think a game devoid of story, atmosphere, or memorable characters shouldn't be called "Donkey Kong Country Returns."
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9
Posts: 1509
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Postby sonosublime » September 2nd, 2013, 3:22 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Everyone, I'd like to ask an honest question here: is there anyone on this forum who hates this game as much as I do? And thinks there are only three Donkey Kong Country games (like a true fan should?) I'm bored as hell but also genuinely wondering if anyone here dislikes this game, and to what extent. Not trying to start a $#!@storm. Thanks.


I think I'm a "true fan", and see the DKC series as having 3 'classic' games, and 2 'reboot' games.

Returns could have been a lot more, but it was good for what it was. Tropical Freeze appears to be fleshing out DKC universe more with Dixie, 5 new islands, the vikings, etc. Hopefully it will fix some of the things that Returns got wrong.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228
Posts: 341
Joined: 2013

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Postby CaptainEddie » September 4th, 2013, 7:02 pm

My post is kinda long, so I'm gonna put it in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler!
Tiptup Jr. wrote: Each DKC still had Kremlings, and...


Granted, but they don't bear any resemblance to their other designs between games, save maybe for the Kritters. The fact that they're called the Kremlings is good enough? So long as the enemies are crocodiles?

In regards to the name, I'll use this argument until the end of time: Imagine if they stopped making major Mario games after Super Mario 64, and ten years later a studio who had never worked with Mario made a game called "Super Mario Bros. Returns" with Mario, Yoshi, and MAYBE Luigi, but that's it. No Koopas, no Bowser, no Peach, no Toads... that would be nonsense, right? Hell yeah! Well that's what they did with "Returns."


The loss of Bowser would be disappointing, but it wouldn't ruin the game.

...if you think the games were only good because of gameplay then you fundamentally misunderstand the series. A good game masterfully blends gameplay,


What makes gaming unique is the interaction the medium allows- the gameplay. Everything else is nice, sure, but not essential. A game with great graphics and sound design can still be a terrible game if the gameplay sucks. Like Conker's Bad Fur Day. However, if a game forgoes story and graphics and what have you and instead focuses on great gameplay, it will be a great game.

The same goes for DKC. What made DKC great was its fast, speed run focused gameplay. Its fantastic control and brilliant level design. Mechanics like the animal buddies and tag team. That said...

atmosphere,

the atmosphere in the original trilogy was great, but also very different for each game while remaining familiar enough. Returns achieves this. It doesn't have the same atmosphere as any one of the games, but it feels like an updated DKC.

sound,

Returns has great music. You yourself said so.

characters,

DK, Diddy, Cranky. We got three of Rare's characters. The new characters are fine. I'm not a huge fan of the Tikis, but they serve their purpose just fine.

graphics

Returns looks very nice! Even if Rare had made this game, it wouldn't have looked the same way it did in the 90's. Retro did a great job.

and storlyine

Come on.

Names matter a great deal in our society, on a deeply symbollic level when it comes to artforms like video games

Even so, the name alone shouldn't hold so much weight over your opinion on the game. Maybe I'm being a jerk here, and if really bothers you so much than so be it, but I can't see it breaking the game.

a game devoid of story,

Come on.


I agree, sono. I really like the vikings in TP!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26
Posts: 432
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Postby Tiptup Jr. » September 5th, 2013, 11:32 am

CaptainEddie, the Kremlings in DKC2 look exactly like the games from the first game. Look at effing Kannon. The third one takes place in a different area of the world entirely after the Kremling power source is destroyed, so yeah, there are different "breeds" of Kremling.

Also, you seem to be missing my one fundamental argument: DKC 1, 2, and 3 were all made by Rare. They may not have created Donkey Kong himself, but they made everything else from scratch, it was their damn series. Each new game made logical additions to the mythos of the previous title. Yeah, there's some new Kremlings. Yeah, there's some new environments. So effing what? It was all in the same sequential series, made by the same people. That's what I'm a fan of, RARE'S Donkey Kong games, all of which stayed relatively true to a core mythos.

Going back to the Mario argument, I'm not gonna claim to be a huge Mario fan, make a game called Super Mario Bros. Returns, and then laugh my ass off if someone asks if Bowser is in. That's what Kelbaugh did, except ten times worse.

I'm done, obviously you all have different opinions than me, f--- Returns and f--- everything it stands for. Also, why do you keep saying "come on" in regards to story in video games? You wouldn't know from playing Nintendo, but some games actually do have stories, and ones that don't actually suck.

EDIT: I don't just like Donkey Kong games made by Rare, to elaborate on the last sentence in my second paragraph, I just think they are the best and don't think a "Return" to what made them great should eschew practically everything they represent.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9
Posts: 1509
Joined: 2008

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns Discussion

Postby CaptainEddie » September 5th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Tiptup Jr. wrote:CaptainEddie, the Kremlings in DKC2 look exactly like the games from the first game. Look at effing Kannon. The third one takes place in a different area of the world entirely after the Kremling power source is destroyed, so yeah, there are different "breeds" of Kremling.


You've got me there. But you can't deny that the games have incredibly different atmospheres and though the art style is similar, many enemies are pretty different, like Klampons.

Also, why do you keep saying "come on" in regards to story in video games? You wouldn't know from playing Nintendo, but some games actually do have stories, and ones that don't actually suck.


I'm well aware. I thoroughly enjoy games like The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite.

I kept saying that for exactly the reason you just stated- you wouldn't know from playing Nintendo. The DKC games never had much in the way of story.

If anything, Returns' story has more presence than the Rare games because it's actally presented in the game itself. Again, it doesn't really matter.

But I'm not gonna tell you how to enjoy video games. I mean you no disrespect- it's just sad to miss out on a great game for those reasons. But different strokes fo' different folks. :dixiehappy:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26
Posts: 432
Joined: 2008

Previous

Return to Donkey Kong Country Returns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron