Your favorite level in DKCR?

Talk about Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii, developed by Retro Studios.

Favorite level?

Jungle Stages
No votes
Beach Stages
17%
Ruin Stages
No votes
Forest Stages
No votes
Cliff Stages
17%
Factory Stages
25%
Volcano Stages
No votes
Running for my life because I'm being chased by something Stages
8%
Silhouetted stages (Jungle at Dusk/Factory smog, and/or Volcanic Ash)
8%
Mine Cart Stages
17%
Rocket Barrel Stages
No votes
Key Temple Stages
8%
Golden Banana Ecstasy
No votes

Total votes : 12

Your favorite level in DKCR?

Postby Soniccuz » April 6th, 2011, 6:03 pm

Because it needs to be done! :twisted:

Admittedly this is based off memory. I hope I didn't leave anything out.

If you would clarify with a comment. Especially since the stages are so varied and most are unique even when they're in the same region.

Though I did decide to lump the one's where there's a swarm of something falling you together instead of by archetype.

Also don't get ruin stages that take place in a temple confused with the key temple stages.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Re: Your favorite level in DKCR?

Postby Katzii » April 8th, 2011, 1:04 am

It's difficult because I actually have a few favourites. I love the silhouette levels, but I also love the Mine Cart/Rocket Barrel levels, too. In fact, I loved the World (4, was it?) that was nothing BUT Rocket Barrels and Mine Carts. but the silhouette levels are absolutely beautiful, so I really can't choose!
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » April 8th, 2011, 2:10 pm

I would have left the poll out and just made it a discussion, because like Katzii I can't choose just one, especially since even the different "types" of levels are all so varied themselves. One level that comes to mind is the lava silhouette level with Rambi in it. That was awesome.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Ribbedebie » April 9th, 2011, 3:45 am

Factory! Just the fact that those things were there since the Kremlings' reign during the first Country games, and how it actually shows (I mean, it's overrun by plants) is just mind-bogglingly awesome.

And of course it has remixes of my favorite DKC songs, Life in the Mines and Fear Factory.

The silhouette levels, even though easy to lose track of where DK and Diddy are, are beautiful too and one of the most beautiful archetypes ever in a DKC game.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 9th, 2011, 8:50 am

It's made painfully obvious that the factory world is supposed to be where the first Donkey Kong took place, Big Ape City be damned. Personally I prefer the idea of the first Donkey Kong taking place in Brooklyn or something, as weird as that sounds.

As for my favorite level? I can't be sure. There certainly were some interesting level designs, but I feel like there was a lot less diversity than in the first three DKCs. In DKCR everything just has this same Play-Doh like feel... Can't explain. Also, I haven't played this game in months so that could also be a factor.

EDIT: I like how whenever I post in a thread it instantly dies.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » April 10th, 2011, 3:55 am

Since DKCR came out I've subscribed to the theory that Big Ape City exists on DK Island behind or inside the Factory world. It's just not well illustrated in any of the games, but it's there. Donkey Kong Land never said that Big Ape City was on another island, that was just assumed at the DKU because of how big it is, but I think that combining DKL and DKCR tells us that Big Ape City is in Kremkroc Industries.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Soniccuz » April 10th, 2011, 9:02 am

Jomingo wrote:I would have left the poll out and just made it a discussion,

Why can't it double as a poll and a discussion?

That said, I have to agree it is hard to pick just one. I also like the silhouette levels even though there's so few. Actually that's probably a point in their favor, there aren't enough of them to feel like an overused gimmick.
But, my own vote should go towards the beach stages because of Tidal Terror. That stage had this unique forboding atmosphere, and I think It's a good example of how artistic and creative the level designers were.
The mine cart and rocket barrel stages while fun, not to mention some of the most frustrating stages ever conceived, were never that appealing to me; even in the classic games. I like the more traditional style platforming much more.

Tiptup Jr. wrote:EDIT: I like how whenever I post in a thread it instantly dies.

I think I'm responsible for killing more topics then you are, lol.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Mayo » April 10th, 2011, 1:32 pm

Running for my life because I'm being chased by something Stages

These really appeal to me for some reason, which was why I loved the level design in DKC3.
They're action-packed, challenging when you need to collect stuff, and above all nerve-racking especially when you're playing the level for the first time.

Factory Levels

Great music and interesting level variation makes this my personal favourite world, there were times I'd just fool around on these stages just because they were that fun.

[img]Golden%20Banana%20Ecstasy[/img]
The cutscene and the famous DK64 "Oooh... Banana!" fits to a T here, probably the most challenging level to Time Attack being so freaking long where a single miscalulated jump can screw you over, with all the classic moving platforms combined with the dreaded bottomless-pit-of-doom. Lovely.

Rocket Barrel Stages + Minecarts

Once you've accustomed to the Rocket Barrel controls, they're actually quite enjoyable with a nice jazzy soundtrack to match. I did find that they both were overused, but there were some instances where they incorperated some interesting gimmick to keep you on edge. Minecarts really brings back nostalgia from DKC1.

Key Temple Stages

This truly gets my vote here, they were so rewarding to complete on Mirror Mode and Time Attack. Their challenging nature and countless deaths really remind me of the times when I would epically fail at DKC1 and 3 back in the day. Hardcore levels for hardcore gamers! Returns was a breeze until I tried these levels, and I still enjoy playing them.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Mr.Diddy » August 3rd, 2012, 3:42 am

I have to say, I like the minecart stages the best, but I was pretty angry to find out that the bannana juice didn't work, but of course I haven't played the game in 2 years. By the way, Minecart Carnage will and always will be the best minecart level.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 3rd, 2012, 5:34 pm

While the Sunset Levels are soothing and the Banana level is one of my favorite things about the game, I'll have to go with the Factory levels.

I've always loved Factory levels to begin with, and each level of the Factory brought something new, creative, and fun to the original concept. I also enjoyed how you had to play those four levels to power the rocket, the several easter-egg throwbacks, and the use of remixed Donkey Kong Country music.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Return to Donkey Kong Country Returns