Video Library

If you want to share your thoughts about DKC-Atlas.com, here is the place for it.

Video Library

Postby VideoViking » July 26th, 2014, 7:57 am

With all the videos available on YouTube, I think it's time we finally have some sort of video library or archive. This would be the place where user posts whatever videos in relation to the Donkey Kong Country series. Speed runs, walkthroughs, reviews, fan games, demos, hacks, commercials, etc.

What do you guys think?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Re: Video Library

Postby Gaz » July 26th, 2014, 9:57 pm

I think this will be a good idea, although it will probably take up a lot of website space. My collections are hosted on the forums, similarly. Anyway, if it isn't problematic, then I would say, "Go for it."
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Super Luigi! » July 29th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Why not? I like videos, you like videos, even Gaz likes videos. The question is, does Qyzbud like videos?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Qyzbud » July 29th, 2014, 6:32 pm

I do like videos.

VideoViking, I'm wondering if you are suggesting that we actually host these video files on the Atlas server, or if you are more suggesting that we start a gallery of sorts featuring linked/embedded YouTube-hosted videos... :huh:

I originally thought you were suggesting the latter, but when Gaz's comment
it will probably take up a lot of website space
went unaddressed, I figured perhaps I was mistaken.

At any rate, we are currently utilising around 95% of our allocated space on the Atlas server, so hosting any additional large files — or numerous additional mid-sized files — would require some negotiation and/or reorganisation, etc. There was a time when I was planning to host video files on the Atlas, but YouTube has stepped up its quality since then, and we have limited resources here, so I'd prefer to let YouTube do the heavy lifting.

With all of that said, I do like the idea of us incorporating video into this site more. :)

Did you have any thoughts regarding how such a library might be structured/organised, VV (or others)?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby VideoViking » July 30th, 2014, 2:11 am

My only concern with YouTube is this: what if the user removes the video, and the link becomes inactive? Many videos have been removed from YouTube as of late (most of which for copyright claims), and some of these videos are one of a kind.

We could do some kind of share-vault policy. When we link the videos, we also archive them. In the event the video ever gets taken down, the video from the server takes its place.

Of course, we'd have to moderate for duplicates and bad quality videos (to conserve file space). We might also prohibit a few things, such as walkthroughs and music backgrounds (sorry, Brawl Custom Music).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » July 30th, 2014, 7:53 am

It's too bad there isn't some way that there could be an "official" DKC-Atlas user on youtube. That way, all of the videos could be downloaded from other people's channels and re-uploaded. That way there wouldn't be anybody able to take them down. The only problem is that you could piss a lot of people off by re-uploading their videos. If you just made playlists, you'd risk people deleting their old videos, like VideoViking said already.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » July 30th, 2014, 10:57 am

Some good thoughts, VV.

Phyre, We actually do already have an official DKC Atlas account, so your suggestion of mirroring/re-uploading is certainly a possibility.

www.youtube.com/user/dkcatlas

I don't know what YouTube's policy is on duplicate content, but it could always be a case of us only re-uploading if a video gets taken down. If course, depending on the reason a video is removed, uploading it again could be a faux pas, but we could leave that up to our discretion, and/or check with the relevant party if it's okay to do.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to DKC Atlas Website Discussion