Which versions of DKC 1, 2 & 3 should DKC Atlas focus on?

If you want to share your thoughts about DKC-Atlas.com, here is the place for it.

Which versions of DKC 1, 2 & 3 should DKC Atlas focus on?

Postby Qyzbud » March 19th, 2008, 12:38 am

For each of the DKC games on SNES, there were a number of different regional releases, each with their own 'revisions' for bug fixes, etc... I'd like DKC-Atlas to cover each and every one of these to an extent, but I would like to pick one (or maybe two) versions of each game to be a 'default' version for the sake of simplifying site content.

I'm attempting to discover all of the differences between these revisions - see this thread for observations recorded so far.

There are a few points to consider here. I want to pick the most universally relevant version, and it seems like a logical idea to prioritise the Virtual Console versions, as those are the most recent/current versions... but people have been reporting unusually glitchy behaviour in VC versions which may indicate that they aren't the best representations for DKC Atlas to focus on. The very first release for each region may be a sensible option; it seems like a good idea to use the original version, as it provides the most basic and 'untampered' game. Then again, if Rare/Nintendo went to the trouble of releasing updated versions, perhaps these updates/revisions should be seen as the 'correct' versions, and therefore should be the 'chosen ones' of DKC-Atlas.

There is also a question of whether the PAL or NTSC version of each game should be the 'standard'. Not to discriminate against the JAP region game/gamers, but at this stage DKC-Atlas is only designed for an English speaking/reading/typing audience.

So what do you guys think? I welcome any thoughts on the matter.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Which versions of DKC 1, 2 & 3 should DKC Atlas focus on?

Postby Stone » March 19th, 2008, 12:44 am

If gamefaqs has the right release dates, I would say the first release (PAL version for the first DKC) should be the reference, no matter how glitched up the game is.
Rare is a British company, so it would be fair to take PAL for reference, too ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 19th, 2008, 7:07 am

Ah... you're right, the Virtual Console versions would not be the right way to go. I'm going to suggest the NTSC (what does that stand for?) version because that's the version I, along with the majority of our forum-goers, know and love.

Of course, if you did cover the VC versions, I would be just as happy.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Stone » March 19th, 2008, 7:29 am

Who said that NTSC is version I? :D
At least, Rare is a British company, and here's a little map, where NTSC (National Television System Committee, found on wikipedia), PAL etc. are used:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg

As you can see, at least the Australians (or Australiens? :roll: ) and many European countries use PAL. Britain too. So the PAL version could be verson #1, too.
I would say that our active forum-goers are half NTSC and half PAL.

After all, only Rare knows what version is version I... ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 19th, 2008, 10:54 am

Donkey Kong Country was first released in the UK, so that could be considered "No. 1". Maybe we should just do different sections for NTSC and PAL versions?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Kowbrainz » March 19th, 2008, 5:40 pm

I wouldn't do different sections; just state whether a certain glitch is NTSC or PAL Version:? exclusive when typing them up.

I'd go for the original versions for each, too.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » March 20th, 2008, 3:13 pm

I find it peculiar that DKC was first released in PAL regions, and developed by a PAL region-based company... but that all of the in-game text (even in the PAL version) is based on NTSC (United States) spelling conventions. This indicates to me that it was basically 'designed for' a North American audience.

I wonder if we should take that to mean that the NTSC game is the one from which the other two regions were 'adapted'... :?: That seems to be the case, as it's the only region of the game which respects the language conventions of those playing it.

I'm starting to think that this is an overwhelmingly valid reason to adopt the NTSC version as DKC-Atlas' 'native' region.

The question still exists... v1.0 or v1.2? Original, or updated? Old-skool SNES, or new standard Wii VC? You guys have made some good points about this, but I still don't know what would make the most sense. In a way, DKC-Atlas has a great potential to open the eyes of newcomers who have just discovered the DKCs on Virtual Console... but my original (and much of my current) intent is to honour the original games - the SNES versions. If it weren't for the VC releases, it would be an easy choice of v1.0, but since there are a confusing amount of SNES revisions, and there is only one VC release per region (I think this is the case, at least), it almost feels like that would be the most clear choice...

All that said, I'm leaning towards the v1.0 release, for the love of old-skool. 8-) (...and because 1.0 has better glitches!)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Stone » March 20th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Qyzbud wrote:but that all of the in-game text (even in the PAL version) is based on NTSC (United States) spelling conventions.

I've never noticed that! Okay, playin' in german most of the time... ;)
Which DKC2 version does have French language? The PAL version I have, other than DKC1, does only have English and German text. Which version do they use? :?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Qyzbud » March 21st, 2008, 9:27 am

I should have said "all of the English in-game text..." - silly error that. :oops:

Hmm, I don't know about which languages are in which games... I should prepare an article on such a matter!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to DKC Atlas Website Discussion