Site promotion idea: Video Ad?

If you want to share your thoughts about DKC-Atlas.com, here is the place for it.

Site promotion idea: Video Ad?

Postby cfh » February 16th, 2008, 8:04 am

Should I make one? and what should it have in it?
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Re: Video Ad?

Postby Qyzbud » February 16th, 2008, 11:58 am

Good job taking the initiative on this one.

For those who don't know the purpose of this video ad, it's basically a commercial for DKC Atlas to be posted on YouTube. I'm guessing it would be around 30 seconds in duration, and would basically be a quick video to appeal to fans who don't know about the site yet. The idea is to have more DKC fans join the community here, so that we can all benefit from more intelligent and stimulating conversation! Odds are that new people will join who can add incredible, unknown glitches, tricks and other fascinating content to DKC Atlas, as the site grows.

Anyhow, cfh, in regards to the idea of you developing a promo video... I like the idea, and am honoured that you've offered your services, but I would want to have a lot of say in how it's presented, and what content to include... and as you know I'm up to my eyebrows in content development already. Maybe, if you do have the time and inclination, pitch some ideas here, and we can all brainstorm and discuss the possibilities.

I personally would like to offer some snippets of gameplay footage I've already prepared, which showcase a few of the more unusual and dynamic DKC gaming maneuvers... I'll find an opportunity to upload a few sometime soon.

Anyone with suggestions and/or opinions about this site promotion idea, please speak!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Site promotion idea: Video Ad?

Postby Cody » February 18th, 2008, 9:09 pm

Qyzbud, I have quite a few great ideas, but it's difficult for me to translate them to text. Do you mind if I create an example video ad and show you (I'll upload it to a file hosting website so YouTube doesn't get involved)?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby cfh » February 19th, 2008, 10:00 am

I would appreciate that.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » February 19th, 2008, 1:35 pm

In the words of TT... "Go for it!"
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » February 20th, 2008, 1:40 am

"Time trial on...Time trial off.. Time trial..Time trial..Time-Time-Time-Time-T-T-T-T-T"
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby cfh » March 2nd, 2008, 4:23 am

Right, so I've begun working on a video ad to show before I upload it to YouTube... but my DKC savefiles were lost when my computer crashed :oops:
Could anyone please send me a completed game savefile for ZSNES? Thanks!
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Simion32 » March 2nd, 2008, 9:33 am

cfh wrote:Could anyone please send me a completed game savefile for ZSNES? Thanks!

OK, cfh has one of my saves now, no need to send more.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » March 3rd, 2008, 12:02 pm

We need a humorous slogan for the video ad... Something like Join DKC-Atlas... and get a free banana!

EDIT: Or Join DKC-Atlas... :?... and get this dude's wallet :) *Takes stranger's wallet*
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby cfh » March 3rd, 2008, 1:16 pm

DAMNIT

I finished, then it crashed!! NAUGHTY WORD THAT BEGINS WITH F!!
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » March 3rd, 2008, 1:19 pm

I thought my semi-humorous slogan on the DKC Atlas home page would be good:

DKC Atlas.

...because sometimes 101% just isn't enough.

We could adjust it for a slightly different audience, though.

DKC-Atlas.com

...for those who think 101% just isn't enough.

Or something to that effect.

cfh: Woah, not cool. There's not much you can hate more than that.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » March 3rd, 2008, 1:23 pm

I think I'll finish it tomorrow.. but I have school tomorrow... bah. I still have the game footage, so I guess it won't take as long.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby cfh » March 16th, 2008, 6:49 am

I haven't actually had much time to work on this until now (aside from the time I spent playing Brawl :P ). Hopefully, I'll finish it later today. :)
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Stone » March 16th, 2008, 7:37 am

I'm really looking forward to this!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby nickp17 » March 16th, 2008, 8:00 am

Me too!

I'll be glad when this is more of a community other than a small group of DKC lovers. :D.

Were kind of like a small family about to branch out :D
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby cfh » March 16th, 2008, 11:27 am

Guess what? I have it done, but the program is being a piece of crap and not rendering properly. :x
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Jomingo » March 16th, 2008, 11:29 am

I love that swear word filter. It never ceases to surprise me.

That is quite unfortunate though. It seems your computer is having alot of trouble lately. I hope you figure out what's wrong.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » March 16th, 2008, 11:37 am

It's not my computer. It's the program, doing something I had hoped they fixed in this $90 new one (I'm using the free trial to edit it to see if there's anything new to make it worth it to buy... so far, nothing :roll: )
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Jomingo » March 16th, 2008, 11:39 am

Well, atleast you haven't wasted any money on it yet.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » March 16th, 2008, 11:50 am

Well now it's refusing to render at all :roll:

Maybe I'll fix it tomorrow. For now, I've had enough.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Jomingo » March 16th, 2008, 11:52 am

Yeah, sounds frustating. It seems to me that new software isn't worth it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby nickp17 » March 16th, 2008, 11:55 am

Well that really sucks, I'm interested in seeing what you have cooked up cfh
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » March 16th, 2008, 12:35 pm

Yeah, I'm keen to see what you and MAGIX can do. ;)

I'm not sure if I want to have rap lyrics as the face of DKC Atlas, but maybe I should contact Peter (the fellow behind Norwegian Recycling and Donkey Business) to see if we could use one of his tracks (Wild Wild Jungle for the win!) as part of the video's soundtrack. Unless you've already organised the soundtrack, that is.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » March 16th, 2008, 1:37 pm

I used Thrash the Plank and it would be hard to change it without making the video suck. But I would be happy to make another one ;)
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby cfh » March 17th, 2008, 1:52 am

I'm re-encoding the video files causing the problem, then removing the originals so that when it asks me where the missing files are I can redirect it to the newly encoded files... I hope this works...
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby nickp17 » March 17th, 2008, 1:56 am

Me Too!

If you decide to put it off youtube I'll use the download add on firefox ;) to download it off youtube and put it on my channel aswell. If all goes well.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby cfh » March 17th, 2008, 1:58 am

It worked :D Now to see if it renders properly...

And I'm going to post it on here to be checked by Qyzbud before it goes on YouTube. ;)
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby nickp17 » March 17th, 2008, 2:02 am

Alright that sounds perfectly fine to me.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby cfh » March 17th, 2008, 2:03 am

Renders properly now too! :D Just two unrelated errors to fix then I'll post it!!
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby nickp17 » March 17th, 2008, 2:36 am

Wow!

I like it alot, I'm impressed.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Stone » March 17th, 2008, 3:57 am

Wow, it exceeded all my expectations, music is well-chosen 8-)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby nickp17 » March 17th, 2008, 7:19 am

yeah the music fit really well.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby cfh » March 17th, 2008, 9:02 am

Thanks, still waiting for Qyzbud's opinion... which might take a while due to his slow connection.

Qyz says: ...or due to you posting it at 2:30am in my timezone. ;)
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » March 17th, 2008, 10:28 am

cfh wrote:Here it is :D

cfh, that's quite impressive in a lot of ways. I particularly like how well you've matched the video with the song, and the way you managed to show video of the site/forum being browsed. Really cool, and lots of well executed ideas.

My thoughts...

PAR code demos:
I see you used my PAR codes to good effect. ;) It looks great having lightning in Jungle Hijinxs, doesn't it? I'd like to see that in the final version for sure. However, I think it's very important that the video never gives false impressions about what can be done in DKC. It's great to show tricks that can be performed with PAR codes, but I want it to be extremely clear that these things cannot be done in pure, regular gameplay. I think those aspects should be featured, but minimally, and only directly after (or during) a 'Code-Assisted Exploration' title, or something similar. There are just so many great tricks and glitches to show off... I'd love to give those priority, as anyone can do them with a little guidance, and they are a part of this great game.

Gameplay footage:
The in-game footage is something I'd like to help with. I think each clip should be very short; maybe 3-4 seconds max (a few seconds longer, if really necessary/worthwhile). Also, I would like the gameplay to be as polished as possible (missing those 3 bananas in Mine Cart Carnage was unacceptable!), and to target the more interesting, unusual, challenging and action-packed aspects of DKC gaming. I could send you some example video files if you like, or host them here for you to download. Maybe over the next week or so, you can let me know what level or kind of gameplay you would like to work with, and I can send you my best efforts.

Forum:
When showing the forum (I like what you did, by the way), it would be good to have a better look at the header, as that's practically the only DKC-esque element of its design at this stage. It was good to show the 'Post a Message' sign, well done with the zooming, etc. I would like to spend more time on forum aesthetics, but I don't want to delay this video too much.

Closing sequence:
I really like the sped-up gameplay right before the logo being shown at the end, you did a nice job with that. Maybe a mine cart ride would be better there? They are build for speed. ;) The logo at the end of the fast gameplay- perfect. That's an ideal ending. One thing I would suggest though is to have the "...for those..." text appear sooner, and beneath the site logo. Maybe have the text fade in just one second after the logo appears. I'm not sure about the font, either... How much text formatting are you able to do? I could make up some nice graphic text if you are able to use graphic overlays...

Maybe at the end there could be a DKC2/3 teaser to show that the site will be much more than just an original DKC resource. I'm thinking of ways to do this already, and will let you know when it's ready for you to check out.

--

Cheers for your great efforts here, cfh. This is going to be awesome! :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » March 17th, 2008, 10:43 am

Qyzbud wrote:(missing those 3 bananas in Mine Cart Carnage was unacceptable!)

I think that may have been my fault, since I did game play videos of Millstone Mayhem and Mine Cart Carnage for cfh.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby cfh » March 17th, 2008, 10:54 am

I agree that it should be more glitch-centered... Does anyone want to record them? As well as the regular game footage, that would be helpful.

I tried to put the slogan text under the logo but it looked horrible... so I just faded it in. I could it fade faster. Unless you want to make a new logo with the slogan under it? 640x480 preferably. Also, the font I used was Cambria, the font of the forum. I can use any font and any color, whatever you want. Also, if necessary, the text could be formatted in another program with a solid background, then the background could be removed and the text would be over the footage.

About the DKC2/3 teaser... I don't know how many people would watch the ad if it were over 3 minutes long :P I'm pushing it as it is. I was going to make a 30 second version anyway, maybe the DKC2/3 could be separate? I don't know.

The sped-up Jungle Hijinx was me being lazy :P Instead of flashing 1 second shots of different parts of the footage I just put that in. It would be easy to change to Minecart Carnage.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » March 17th, 2008, 11:11 am

...I forgot to mention that it was about 5x longer than I was expecting. We ought to try to keep it less than 40 seconds, I think. Kinda like a TV ad. Yeah, the sequels can be mentioned later- when there actually is a section for them. ;)

How long (hours) would you estimate you have put into this video ad project so far?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » March 17th, 2008, 1:29 pm

I don't know, maybe 8 hours? Hard to tell.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby nickp17 » March 17th, 2008, 1:35 pm

wow. Thats dedication.

I like the fact that Qyz wants the video to be short. I mean, you're video is very nice. But I feel like people would lose interest in watching a video that long.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby BlueTronic » March 17th, 2008, 1:52 pm

I wanna get some glitch footage. Can I do that for the video? Slice N' Diced Slimb Climb and Expresso in Crocktopus Chase. That's bound to attract lots of DKC fans. We should try to get some music on the video. Something fast and exciting that'll interest the viewers, like The Alternate Route by Paragon X9 or Lunatic Moon by Sixto Sounds and Zircon.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » March 17th, 2008, 3:42 pm

Thrash the Plank not fast and exciting enough? Have you even watched his demo yet? Music for other games makes no sense, by the way. :|

Anyhow Kong-Fu, your Slime Climb one is again a PAR hack, rather than a glitch. Animal Buddies in different level would be great, no doubt about it. There are countless opportunities for great glitch videos, so let's keep the PAR stuff to a minimum, and keep it separate from the other footage. I really don't want viewers/visitors to think that all of these amazing tricks and glitches we are discovering/hosting are just hacks.

cfh: That is dedication. Passion like that leads to things of much awesome. Qyz has the faith. :mrgreen:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » March 17th, 2008, 6:22 pm

Qyz sums up most of what I'd like to say, really. I agree; much larger focus on natural gameplay and normal glitches rather than PAR code weirdness. No offense, but some of the glitchy stuff where the screen scrolled a few times was enough to make a man sick...

I'm able to record anything if you need it, though. This is going to be great once it's finished. :) ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » March 17th, 2008, 7:06 pm

What emulator (and version) are you using, cfh? If I were to provide video, would you want it in the emulator's native format (zmv for ZSNES, for example), or in a well-compressed good quality AVI format, with H.263 codec? (...or whatever it's called. Darn obscure name if you ask me!)

I'll make up some cool videos tonight. ;)

Also, I'll do what I can about the logo/text design for the video's end...
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » March 17th, 2008, 11:40 pm

I used ZSNES and CamStudio to record it because I couldn't get ZSNES's video recording to work. AVI would be much prefered :)

And I'm going to keep this video as long as it is, but I'll make a small trailer as well.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Stone » March 18th, 2008, 6:47 am

More barrel blasting would be fine, that always looks like action 8-)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Qyzbud » March 18th, 2008, 8:15 am

Yeah, I totally agree. Barrel blasting is a huge part of the spirit of the DKCs. Barrel Cannon Canyon, Tree Top Town, Snow Barrel Blast and those different blasting-based bonus areas would be great for this. The mine cart rides are a must, a little bit of each animal buddy for sure (plus levels they don't belong in!), vine swingin', rolling through/bouncing on multiple baddies, boss battles (yeah, they are easy & lame, but at least they are big!)... That's a start for some action-packed suggestions.

I didn't get a chance to do recording last night, but I'll have a go now. Just wish I had my controller handy. :roll:

I'll aim to give the video clips a little lead-in and lead-out so that you have more flexibility when editing.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » March 21st, 2008, 10:55 am

Qyzbud wrote:Have you even watched his demo yet?

I tried, all I get is an error message.
Qyzbud wrote:Thrash the Plank not fast and exciting enough? Music for other games makes no sense, by the way. :|

How 'bout Lava Master?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby cfh » March 21st, 2008, 11:26 am

Try right clicking > Save Link As
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Next

Return to DKC Atlas Website Discussion