Site promotion idea: Video Ad?

If you want to share your thoughts about DKC-Atlas.com, here is the place for it.

Re: Site promotion idea: Video Ad?

Postby Qyzbud » April 7th, 2008, 2:17 pm

cfh, as you may have noticed, I've started to record some gameplay videos now. Looks like the file size will be around 5MB for the snippets I'm capturing (5-10 seconds in length, Xvid), but some may be a bit bigger. Shall I attach them here in the thread, or would you prefer some other method of transfer?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » May 5th, 2008, 10:34 am

Just post them here, that's fine.

Sorry I didn't see your post until now :oops:
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby cfh » May 11th, 2008, 1:35 am

Bumping this in case you didn't see this. Try to post the footage as soon as possible, since I have time now before finals, and I'm going around Europe for 7 weeks at the beginning of summer.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » May 11th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Okay, I'll see what I can do today. Most of yesterday's dev time was spent making Cyclone's avatar. :P

I have a nice handful of video clips that I can upload; hopefully my connection holds in there (it has been unreliable lately).
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » May 27th, 2008, 3:39 pm

Ah, many apologies for the belated nature of this update:

I've uploaded a few short video clips of various interesting DKC moments. This is just a start, but hopefully you will find some useful footage. If I've provided these too late in the piece, and you're busy with finals/travel, I totally understand... I meant to get them to you weeks ago. :oops:

http://www.dkc-atlas.com/host/video/
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » May 28th, 2008, 8:50 am

I don't have finals yet... but I want to spend this time to finish Kickass Legend. I'll get to it later.

Thanks.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » May 28th, 2008, 11:03 am

A worthy cause; I understand. ;)

I will try to upload other short clips when I think of interesting gameplay ideas (and when time permits). Good luck with KL!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » August 20th, 2008, 3:33 am

I downloaded all the videos and I was going to put them in... but I can't find the project file :x

Edit: Found it, but it's horribly corrupted. I basically have to start again.

Edit2: Fixed. I'll put in the new footage now. :)
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby cfh » August 20th, 2008, 7:45 am

http://www.cfhworld.com/dkc-atlas.wmv

What do you think? I ended up mixing the code-assisted footage with the normal ones.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2008, 11:55 am

I like it.

It's much better now that you have clarified which footage is 'code assisted', and of course adding extra shots of the site itself was a good move.

My main criticisms at the moment are that there is a lot of unattractive and pointless PAR-based footage, and some fairly dull gameplay involved. We shouldn't have any dull gameplay, as DKC is practically never dull in the hands of a skilled player. There is also a lack of variety in the gameplay footage when it comes to level choice... There's too much Jungle and Forest compared with a relative lack of Cave, Factory, Snow, Ice Cave, Walkway, Boss, etc, etc...

I'd also like to see the level maps I've worked on lately get a bit of focus, as they are the main reason I made this Atlas (and call it an atlas) in the first place, and they're also the part if DKC Atlas I'm the most proud of.

Despite what I just said, we're going to need to cut the whole video down a fair bit, as I think a snappy 30-60 second clip would be more watchable and memorable. I think we can afford to chop off the first half-minute or so (I've never been crazy about the intro, as much as I like the rest of what you've done), and we can drop the nauseating camera code footage for now... How about I record another handful of snappy little gameplay/glitch/code videos, and create a ~40sec edit of Thrash the Plank for you to work with?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » August 20th, 2008, 2:15 pm

The clips and music edit sound great.

I think I'll start from scratch on a 40 second version, and finish up the "full trailer" later. I agree, the clips aren't very varied, if you can get some of the other level types in your new clips that would be much better.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2008, 3:43 pm

Okay, I know what my missions are for tonight, now. If only I didn't have to go to work in an hour...

I'll make sure to get you something interesting from each level type, and I'll see what I can do to trim the music nicely.

Will you be able to focus on the level maps for maybe 5-10 seconds? Don't worry about doing it immediately, as I'm planning an update to the LMV (Level Map Viewer) in the next day or two, which will make it look/work better, hopefully.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » August 22nd, 2008, 5:36 am

I've added some new gameplay videos: http://www.dkc-atlas.com/host/video/ (new ones are at the bottom)
They should help the video ad's variety and quality a little.

I haven't made the Thrash the Plank edit yet, but will do so soon.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » August 26th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Just bumping (and triple posting) to let you know that I've sent a message to SnappleMan to ask if we can use Thrash the Plank in the video. I'm pretty sure he will say it's okay, but it's always best to ask first, of course. I've been working on the edit, and will have it done soon (at the expense of the Forest Frenzy map which I would have otherwise uploaded today), so I'll keep you posted.

I'll work on some more gameplay videos after the next site update.

EDIT: Oh, I've made those improvements to the map interface I mentioned before, so feel free to do any capturing now. There's more to improve, but the bulk of the aesthetic work is done, which is pretty much all that matters when making a video. ;)

EDIT the 2nd:
Here's my still somewhat lengthy edit of Thrash the Plank (~1.6MB). It's just under 1 min, 20 secs in length, so it's about twice as long as I was intending, but feel free to use this. I might try to slim it down a bit more. Let me know if you have any specific needs in the way of editing this track further. Apart from its length, the main problem with this edit is that I have removed the part (at 1:34 in the official OCR release, 1:20 in your current version of the video) where you had the black background with white text saying Secrets... Glitches... Maps... etc. It was good to have that section in your video, so I'd like to make another edit of the TtP soon which includes that part of the track.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » August 27th, 2008, 2:52 am

Thanks, it sounds pretty good. I'll see what I can do.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby cfh » July 13th, 2009, 1:53 am

Hey Qyz, should I work on this again? Coming back to it now, I could probably make my own 60 second metal remix of Gangplank Galleon to use in the advert. I'm not sure how fast I could finish it considering how many things I'm working on right now, and I leave for a one month trip starting August 1st, but I could at least make some progress.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby cfh » August 19th, 2009, 12:27 am

I think Qyz wants to see potential ads before they get posted...
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2009, 11:30 am

Yes, that's right - please don't make your videos public until I've approved them. I would like all ads for the Atlas to be classy and well made, so please show them to me before posting them publically on YouTube.

Thanks for working on an ad, though; I'll take a look at your video as soon as I get a chance.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't get back to you before, cfh... If you have the time and energy, it would be great to see what you can come up with. I've really enjoyed hearing your instrumental work lately, so feel free to create your own remix for the ad - in fact, I highly support the idea! ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Matt534Dog » September 12th, 2009, 10:34 am

Sorry for not talking to Qyzbud before I posted it. I'm very sure cfh's commercial will be better.
Tourist

Previous

Return to DKC Atlas Website Discussion