Link in DKC3... Why?

A place for discussion of storyline facts and ponderings regarding the DKC trilogy (and beyond, where relevant).
Any facets of Kong and Kremling history - or other similar topics - can be discussed here.

Link in DKC3... Why?

Postby JadeRoseofChaos » July 1st, 2009, 10:59 am

As many of you know, when talking to one of the bears in DKC3, he mentions that "A cheeky lad named Link" went in his store.

I was wondering, what was Link doing in the Northern Kremisphere, anyway?

Can anyone come up with a little story explaining why he was there? Or a theory?

It wouldn't be official or anything... just for a bit of pointless fun :)
Tourist

Re: Link in DKC3... Why?

Postby Jomingo » July 1st, 2009, 11:09 am

The "Zelda Timeline" is so convoluted without trying to explain how Link supposedly came to Donkey Kong's world, let alone why.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby JadeRoseofChaos » July 1st, 2009, 11:15 am

That is true.

This thread was created so people could create a story explaining why he was there...It wouldn't have to be official or anything... just for fun. Kind of like making up a story for Jungle Beat (before it had a story)
Tourist

Postby Qyzbud » July 1st, 2009, 12:31 pm

Personally I think it was a script-writer's joke based on the way DKC3 incorporated various RPG elements - perhaps these aspects were in part inspired by Link's adventures. I'd be interested to hear any theories on Link's adventures in the Northern Kremisphere, though... We know he's already had more than a passing reference on the DKC series, with an appearance on Cranky's Video Game Heroes screen in DKC2, so the little man in tights does seem to get a bit of cameo lovin'. :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 1st, 2009, 1:03 pm

Did he say, "A person wearing green and holding a sword and shield"? I don't think so. He could have been talking about any "Link".
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » July 1st, 2009, 2:57 pm

Hah. Actually, "A person wearing green and holding a sword and shield" would be far more ambiguous (and subject to change) than what he did say...

After Dixie and Kiddy decline to pay for Bazaar's story about "who owns the castle"...

So yeah, he could have been talking about any cheeky, curious, adventurous lad called "Link" who pays in rupees. :roll:

I am curious about Bazaar's "muttering about my shells being the wrong shape or something" comment... Anyone know what that reference might mean?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby DK4Ever » July 1st, 2009, 4:01 pm

I'd have to brush up on my Zelda, but could it possibly be a reference to something from LInk's Awakening?
Treasure Hunter

Postby Tompa » July 1st, 2009, 5:29 pm

Yeah, that reference is from Link's Awakening, as you collect several seashell there. LA was also the last Zelda game to be released before DKC3.

Rare are awesome that have references from other games, and movies as well, in their games. Me like!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby JadeRoseofChaos » July 2nd, 2009, 2:38 pm

I always wondered what he meant when he was talking about the shells...

By the way, was Links Awakening made?
Tourist

Postby Jomingo » July 2nd, 2009, 2:44 pm

Um.... I'm not sure you're asking the question you intended to. If you are, then Yes. Link's Awakening was made.

If it was a silly mistake, and you meant to say something else, like "When was Link's Awakening made", the the answer is 1993. Thank you Wikipedia!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby JadeRoseofChaos » July 7th, 2009, 8:15 am

Oh brother... I feel silly now. Yes, I meant to ask "WHEN was Link's Awakening made?".

Thank you for answering my question and not being a jerk about it.
Tourist

Postby CM August » August 22nd, 2009, 10:06 pm

One of my favorite references in the whole series.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Jeeves » August 23rd, 2009, 3:14 pm

Well, considering his cameo in DKC2 showed him losing the Video Game Hero contest, perhaps he was searching for more DK coins to raise his rank. Nobody likes being told that Yoshi is a better hero than they are.
Tourist
Bananas received 11

Postby Qyzbud » August 24th, 2009, 3:07 pm

Good point! I hadn't even thought of that, but it does fit the story nicely. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » August 24th, 2009, 4:03 pm

I always thought that the characters on the pedestals were animatronic puppets of the real characters. I mean, why else would they stay standing there all day without leaving?

Just to clarify, I'm not saying I don't think Link collected DK Coins, I'm just saying I don't think that's him standing there every time you check your rank. So yeah, that would make some sense as to what he was doing in DKC3.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rodent » October 18th, 2009, 10:59 am

Like the first post said, there's a god-knows-how-big number of Links out there, and considering DKC takes place in the present (or ten years ago now), this Link could very easily have caught a boat or plane to the Northern Kremisphere. Or, it could be...

A CONSPIRACY!

Think about it... Link and the Kremlings are both green... I think there may have been a collaboration between the two.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Return to Storyline/Continuity