The 'Kremling Force Power' - what is it really?

A place for discussion of storyline facts and ponderings regarding the DKC trilogy (and beyond, where relevant).
Any facets of Kong and Kremling history - or other similar topics - can be discussed here.

The 'Kremling Force Power' - what is it really?

Postby Qyzbud » September 6th, 2008, 3:51 am

Anyone who's played a decent amount of DKC2 ought to be familiar with the Kremlings' Lost World - a place located deep beneath Crocodile Isle. A key feature of this area is the column of pink and blue energy seen flowing from a volcano, as pictured below:

The nature, purpose and origin of this energy are largely unknown, but many members of the online DKC fan community seem to think that the energy - popularly referred to as the 'Kremling Force Power' - is directly responsible for the 'creation' of most (or all) Kremlings (some contributors to this DKU forum topic, for example). I'm not necessarily 100% opposed to this theory, but I've yet to see any credible sources to back up these claims. From what I've observed, the closest thing to a confirmation of this notion is a vague excerpt from the DKC2 instruction booklet:

"There are rumors of a lost world located deep beneath Crocodile Isle. It has been said that
this is the source of the Kremlings, and that there is valuable treasure to be found there..."

Clearly, this does not so much substantiate these ideas as it does hint that there could be some validity to them. Perhaps there are other official documents which hold some more substantial info, but I've yet see anything which confirms the 'force' energy to be the origin of Kremling society. If anyone knows of a credible info source which supports these (or other) 'Kremling Force Power' theories, please share them.

Any other theories, opinions and general discussions regarding this aspect of the DKC series mythology are most welcome, too.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: The 'Kremling Force Power' - what is it really?

Postby The Angry Sun » September 6th, 2008, 11:32 am

I'd say that it's the source of some Kremlings.
Not all of them.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Swing King » September 6th, 2008, 11:48 am

It helped them evolve pobably. Its also probly their life force.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » September 6th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Qyzbud wrote:"It has been said that this is the source of the Kremlings, and that there is valuable treasure to be found there..."

Maybe Rare intended to say:
"It has been said that this is the source of the Kremlings' energy, and that there is valuable treasure to be found there..."
You know, to power-up their machines and that...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » September 6th, 2008, 1:34 pm

I wonder - that sounds like a possibility, Kiddy. It's not out of the question to think that maybe that sentence was incomplete or mistyped, especially since Cranky's name is misspelled 'Kranky' in that booklet's table of contents...

My take on the scenario is that the energy (where did the expression 'force power' come from, anyway??) was responsible for mutating/evolving regular crocodilian creatures into the decidedly sophisticated and sentient beings we know as 'Kremlings'. I'm not convinced that this energy is vital for the day-to-day life of the Kremlings, but I do believe that they revere its power - partially because of what it has done for their species in the past.

The suggestion that the energy is used to power Kremling machinery and that sort of thing seems plausible, and I think perhaps it can be used to harness a variety of otherworldly powers, such as to reanimate the dead, give physical powers to ghostly apparitions like Kreepy Krow (and his Mini-Neckys ghost accomplices), Kackle, Kloak etc... and perhaps the mysterious energy even allows the Kaptain to bend innocent creatures his sinister will... I mean, it's never really explained why those countless natives of DK Island sided with the Kremlings, was it? There must be a reason for the armadillos, beavers and vultures of DK's land to turn against the Kongs, whose kingdom they inhabit...
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Gnawzooka » September 6th, 2008, 5:00 pm

Qyzbud wrote:I mean, it's never really explained why those countless natives of DK Island sided with the Kremlings, was it? There must be a reason for the armadillos, beavers and vultures of DK's land to turn against the Kongs, whose kingdom they inhabit...

I once had an idea of a machine that clones and brain controls animals for the Kremlings. :lol:
But yeah, I think the KFP is what gives them their power, and probably mutated them, but didn't simply create them.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Jomingo » September 7th, 2008, 6:41 am

I still think that the KPS creates each and every Kremling as mindless warriors to battle at K. Rool's whim.

Why else can we see hundreds of identical creatures? They are all cloned warriors, who have no purpose other than to do what K. Rool says.

One of the huge reasons that supported this was the fact that there was never a single female or child shown. But now we have seen female and child kremlings, in DKBB. Though, I maintain that since we've only seen one adult female, and two children, that it's possible that only members of the royal "Rool" family are real creatures with the ability to reproduce, and that the rest of the Kremlings were fabricated by K. Rool through the use of the KPS, and they were designed in his image.

Here's a possibility that goes along with my theory:
What if K. Rool's species was a real species long ago, and that most of them died out, but the remaining ones took refuge in the KPS, which (through its great power) kept their species alive for generations. They eventually learned how to control it, and used it to create cloned creatures in their image, though these creatures were not real, they were just cloned copies who could not reproduce or use the KPS power. When they realized they could not recreate their species, and only make artificial look-a-likes, they just created them for company, and eventually to help them create their home and empire. They survived through the generations as the KPS kept their family line alive, and differing generations used the KPS for different things. At one point in time they tried to expand their empire, and engulfed several large islands around them(including DK Island), which explains the ruins of their rule over the surrounding area. The current K. Rool wants to return their empire to its former glory, and thus uses the KPS to create tons of warriors used to defeat his enemies. Some of them don't like K. Rool's brutal dictatorship(just because they are artificial fabrications doesn't mean they don't have thoughts and ideas), such as Klubba.

I know none of you seem to agree with me on this, but I like it, so shut the hell up!

Just kidding. :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Angry Sun » September 7th, 2008, 6:45 am

Not bad Jomingo.

But how do you explain someone like K.Lumsy?

The KPS just decided to create a giant at some point before it went out?
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » September 7th, 2008, 6:54 am

1) K. Rool can create any kind of kremling his heart desires(depending on how good he is at manipulating the KPS, I mean, I'm sure there are limits but I don't think it would be that hard to create K. Lumsy).
2) People keep saying that, but how do we know that the KPS sunk and is no longer working? It's a highly complex force, and I'm sure it would continue to work after sinking underwater. Infact, it is probably powerful enough to resurrect itself out of the water(which would explain why it was resurfaced in DKL2).
Can someone fill me in on this "Mecha Crocodile Isle" I hear of from DK64?
Because I was going to say that it's likely that the KPS resurfaced and is still working, but this might contradict itself depending on what happens in DK64. I think that the KPS likely either: A)Created a new island; B) resurfaced the old one; C)Relocated to emerge itself from another volcano/other hole in earth's surface; or D) Relocated underneath another island.
Whichever is the case, I think that K. Rool still has access to it, whether they live directly above it or not.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Angry Sun » September 7th, 2008, 7:35 am

I'm pretty sure people are talking about this when they say "Mecha Crocodile Isle"...

Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » September 8th, 2008, 7:18 am

What I want to know about it is it's backstory and origins(if it's ever explained), as that would help me to decide what happened to the KPS after it supposedly sunk.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » September 8th, 2008, 10:34 am

If I remember correctly, the whole thing is a giant mobile island with a huge laser in it designed to destroy DK Island.

Here's my theory, but first, some notes.
1) I support the theory of the KPS powering the machinery, just look at this screenshot:

kps power.jpg
kps power.jpg (54.13 KiB) Viewed 56094 times

See the purple light? The KPS was a mixture of blue and purple, right? Well, here is purple, green, and yellow! (Green and yellow make blue, right? If not, oh well.)

2) I also support the K.Rool wanting to restore his race to its former glory theory.

Okay, so K. Rool wants to restore stuff t former glory and uses the KPS to make troops (I support that too.) At that moment in time, the Kongs have dominence of the area, so K. Rool takes their bananas to lure them into a fight, where they would die and he would take over the island. (Some remodeling would ensue.). But Donkey and Diddy defeated him. So while Donkey was relaxing, he took him, to lure Diddy and Dixie to him to kill them all. (His one big mistake was being in a kids game where no one can really die.) After Diddy and Dixie defeated him, he decided to try one more time kidnapping Donkey and Diddy and using the KPS to trap the banana birds and stuff. That time he got beat up by a little girl and a baby. Tired of getting beat up, he abandons the idea of killing the kongs and decides to just blow up the island with his Blast-O-Matic. Using the KPS to charge it, of coarse.

Wow. It seems there was little theory in there and more timeline story crap. Sorry.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » September 8th, 2008, 11:06 am

Yeah, that's a good point about the Laser thing being powered by the KPS. I mean, where else would the Kremlings get something that powerful?

Also, perhaps the reason that K. Rool has a vendetta against the Kongs is that the Kongs probably beat the Kremlings to take the island from them, and now K. Rool wants revenge.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rodent » September 8th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Or he's angry because he just can't steal those bananas!

Seriously, I think Jomingo got it right with his post. I like that he acknowledged that they can have their own thoughts and names and stuff. Everyone seems to forget Krunch or whoever from Diddy Kong Racing.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Gnawzooka » September 8th, 2008, 8:43 pm

CaptainEddie wrote: Well, here is purple, green, and yellow! (Green and yellow make blue, right? If not, oh well.)

Uh, no, blue and yellow make green, but it doesn't work the other way. ;)
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby CaptainEddie » September 9th, 2008, 4:07 am

....Shoot. Well, I'm sure there is a fourth color off to the left somewhere that's blue. Maybe the yellow light is bananas they sacrificed to make the machine and that's why they keep stealing them. Maybe the green light is......Kremling sacrifices.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » September 9th, 2008, 6:38 am

Or maybe the KPS just changes color when doing different tasks. I mean, why do we have to explain the color of the energy, is that such an important detail?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » September 9th, 2008, 6:48 am

Yes, actually. It matters. It can make all the difference. Example: The 1up mushroom and the super mushroom look identical, except for one thing: one is green and one is red.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » September 9th, 2008, 6:51 am

Yes, but the KPS is a flowing energy source. Obviously, if Cranky Kong turned orange all of a sudden we'd have to explain it, but I think that the only explanation we need for the KPS is that it's a complex energy source that changes colors at different times for different reasons that we don't understand.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » September 9th, 2008, 6:55 am

....Fine, you win. Still though, I wouldn't expect it to change colors unless it was like, dying or something. But I guess that doesn't make a lot of sense.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » September 9th, 2008, 6:59 am

Well, how do we know how a complex energy source would respond to different environments or procedures? We don't understand anything about the KPS, and thus it is not a hard concept to believe that it changes colors sometimes.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » September 9th, 2008, 7:01 am

I guess that's true. I don't really have anymore to say, then.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby RawkHawk2010 » March 11th, 2009, 2:12 pm

First off, I don't the Kremling Power Source actually creates Kremlings. I think it "sentienized" a group of Crocodiles that wandered near it hundreds of years ago, and the traits the first crocodiles acquired from the power source were passed down the family line through reproduction (as the female and children Kremlings in Barrel Blast imply). Some of Cranky's ancestors and the earliest Brothers Bear could have also wandered near the power source, which would result in two more sentient races. The Kremlings then decided to save the KPS for future purposes, which is why they surrounded it with an island stronghold complete with bramble bushes and amusement parks.

And here's a little off-the-wall theory I thought up for explaining the KPS's origin: What if the power source was really a sixth, "lost" Crystal Banana that was removed from Planet Plantain somehow (possibly due to an intergalactic enemy...like Wizpig!) and ended up crash landing on Earth? K. Rool could have known this all along, which is why he sought another Crystal Banana after the KPS was seemingly destroyed with the sinking of Crocodile Isle.
Tourist

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 12th, 2009, 7:25 am

CaptainEddie wrote:(Green and yellow make blue, right? If not, oh well.)

I'm going to get on topic with this, but first I just have to say that blue is a primary color and yellow and green make yellow green. So no.

Anyhoo; When I first played Donkey Kong Country 2 I was under the impression that the power source was an object of worship to the Kremlings. I mean, why else would there be such an elaborate shrine built around it? They believed that, yes, they were created and sustained by the power source and that the two Kremling statues in front of it guaranteed the power's protection. When K. Rool blasted it all to Hell, he was tasked with the job of using his newfound laboratory and scientific skills to genetically create the race of Kremlings that we see in Donkey Kong Country 3, and by DK64 the Kremlings had actually discovered the ability to maintain an artificial power source inside of the new mechanical Crocodile Isle. I think that the Kremlings we've been seeing in recent years were either inhabitants of the ancient shrines on DK Island (as evidenced by Mario Super Sluggers) or close relations to K. Rool who were not present so as not to be threatened by the Kongs during their early adventures (the female and child Kremlings, basically).
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby The Guy » April 13th, 2009, 11:37 am

RawkHawk2010 wrote:And here's a little off-the-wall theory I thought up for explaining the KPS's origin: What if the power source was really a sixth, "lost" Crystal Banana that was removed from Planet Plantain somehow (possibly due to an intergalactic enemy...like Wizpig!) and ended up crash landing on Earth? K. Rool could have known this all along, which is why he sought another Crystal Banana after the KPS was seemingly destroyed with the sinking of Crocodile Isle.

Sorry for the bump, but...

What an interesting theory. This means that the true story of the DK series is building up in some sort of way...
Veteran Venturer

Postby RawkHawk2010 » April 29th, 2009, 3:04 pm

My main inspiration for the theory is that both Krocodile Kore and the Crystal Bananas radiate the same wavy blue energy.

The enclosed structure that the blue energy is channeling out from could be where the sixth Crystal Banana resides. Also, this could answer some questions as to why K. Rool wanted to steal DK's Banana Hoard in the first place!

If K. Rool wanted to find more Crystal Bananas, DK's vast banana collection would be a nice place to start looking...
Tourist

Postby Jomingo » May 2nd, 2009, 10:18 am

I like that theory... it really seems to link the current events to the old ones.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby FefeRawft » May 2nd, 2009, 12:11 pm

RawkHawk2010 wrote:The Kremlings then decided to save the KPS for future purposes, which is why they surrounded it with an island stronghold complete with bramble bushes and amusement parks.

Does this sound awkward to anyone else?

Jomingo wrote:I like that theory... it really seems to link the current events to the old ones.

How do you know he wasn't just being an ass?

Well, I guess it makes sense in DK64, he stole the bananas and tried to blow up DK Island with all the Kongs so they couldn't get to the bananas.
Trailblazer

Postby FefeRawft » May 2nd, 2009, 12:21 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of something.

CaptainEddie wrote:....Shoot. Well, I'm sure there is a fourth color off to the left somewhere that's blue. Maybe the yellow light is bananas they sacrificed to make the machine and that's why they keep stealing them. Maybe the green light is......Kremling sacrifices.

Even if that is just a guess, there is a pile of bones in Krocodile Kore next to the "Kremling Force Power"

RawkHawk2010 wrote:If K. Rool wanted to find more Crystal Bananas, DK's vast banana collection would be a nice place to start looking...

If they were looking for crystal bananas, wouldn't they have seen them when they were loading the mine carts with bananas? I'm starting to think that isn't K. Rool's reason.
Trailblazer

Postby DK4Ever » June 28th, 2009, 7:10 pm

I think you're on to something Tiptup, that's a VERY good explanation for the appearance of K. Rool AND the Kremlings in DKC3

Although, I do still love the theory that he was trying to resurrect Mr. X as a last-ditch effort to destroy the Kongs. Maybe since the power-source was hidden, it was sort of like Majin Buu syndrome if anyone understands that.

And Feferawft...was it really necessary to say someone was "being an ass" for coming up with a situation linking past events to present events? I don't think you were given any reason to "point this out" and it really didn't accomplish much.....

And...it's not the best way to build friendships on a site like this is it?
Treasure Hunter

Postby Rare Lover » June 29th, 2009, 4:00 am

I was under the assumption that most the DKC3 enemies were suffering from in taking too much nuclear run off and becoming mutated due to pollution by K. Rool's factories.

I fail to see how someone is being an ass for posting speculation in a speculation thread, guess I'm weird like that.
Trainee Trekker

Postby FefeRawft » June 29th, 2009, 7:05 am

DK4Ever wrote:And Feferawft...was it really necessary to say someone was "being an ass" for coming up with a situation linking past events to present events? I don't think you were given any reason to "point this out" and it really didn't accomplish much.....

And...it's not the best way to build friendships on a site like this is it?

Um, I was saying that maybe K. Rool was just being an ass for stealing the bananas, I wasn't calling anyone here an ass.
Trailblazer

Postby Rare Lover » June 29th, 2009, 7:23 am

FefeRawft wrote:
Jomingo wrote:I like that theory... it really seems to link the current events to the old ones.

How do you know he wasn't just being an ass?

My bad (and perhaps DK4L as well), when I read "How do you know he wasn't just being an ass?" I thought you were referring to Rawk and his theory not K. Rool. I assume DK4L had a similar thought process.
Trainee Trekker

Postby FefeRawft » June 30th, 2009, 3:18 am

Meh, it's all right, I see how you would have thought that.
Trailblazer

Return to Storyline/Continuity