Klubba's Affiliation

A place for discussion of storyline facts and ponderings regarding the DKC trilogy (and beyond, where relevant).
Any facets of Kong and Kremling history - or other similar topics - can be discussed here.

Klubba's Affiliation

Postby Qyzbud » September 6th, 2008, 2:03 am

It seems there is a bit of uncertainty amongst the DK fan community as to the affiliation of DKC2's Lost World custodian, Klubba. The main confusion appears to relate to his loyalty to Kaptain K. Rool, as he changes his 'tough guy' approach to the Kongs as soon as he's given a handsome bribe, and will then grant them access to the Kremlings' Lost World - which it's fair to assume he has been put in charge of defending.

To me, it seems pretty clear that he was a loyal member of K. Rool's crew. He defended the Lost World on behalf of K. Rool, steadfastly denying the Kongs access until they paid him the toll. His alignment with K. Rool and the Kremling Krew is evident:

However, he has an obvious lust for treasure, and drops his tough-guy façade when he receives payment from the Kongs; "Thanks for the booty. Yer me best mateys now!". Not only that, but he makes some undeniably mutinous comments, such as "Kap'n K.Rool treats us rotten. I hope yer scupper his plans!".

I guess the big question I still have is in regard to the 'sincerity' of his post-payment comments; is he just saying those things to encourage the Kongs to bring him more coins, or is he actually unhappy with life under the Kaptain's rule, and hoping the Kongs can overthrow K. Rool, and perhaps liberate the Kremlings from his dictatorship? This could be seen either way, I'm sure.

Another point I've been pondering... Who do we think imposed the 15 Kremkoin toll for each Lost World access point? Was it Klubba's idea, or K. Rool's? Who keeps the koins? It would seem Klubba does, if he's so eager to take them. Perhaps K. Rool only cares about the guarding of his Lost World, and the Kremkoins are effectively Klubba's payment for doing his job as the toll bridge guard. If so, is K. Rool happy to have the Kongs gain passage to the Lost World once they've earned their way?

Any other Klubba discussion is also welcome here.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Klubba's Affiliation

Postby Swing King » September 6th, 2008, 6:17 am

I'm sure most Kremlings were unhappy with K.Rool as leader. I personally think Klubba IS a traitor, and probably hated K.Rool.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » September 6th, 2008, 6:28 am

Agreed. I don't doubt that it's possible that Klubba was instructed by K. Rool to guard the Lost World, but I'm sure that K. Rool would definately be angry if he knew Klubba was allowing passage when bribed by the Kongs. It seems obvious that that was Klubba's idea, and that K. Rool probably had no idea of it until it was too late. K. Rool knew that the Kremling Power source would need to be protected if the Kremlings were to survive(let alone beat the Kongs), and thus wanted Klubba to guard it. And when Klubba was so easily bribed by the Kongs, that is why he became a traitor. I'm not sure if he really wanted to help the Kongs, stop K. Rool, or if he just was doing it for the Koins, but the fact is he was a traitor.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » September 6th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Well:
He is part of the Kremling Krew; the fact why he lets you access to the Lost World is because you pay him, not because he wants to help you. He's enlisted as part of the kremling krew in page 29 of the manual.

and
As I said, he doesn't help you at all; he lets you enter the LW because you give him money, otherwise he won't let you enter by any way, good or bad.

Sorry, I don't want to write the same thing again xD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby The Angry Sun » September 6th, 2008, 12:38 pm

I'm just gonna say (to avoid argument I hope) that Klubba was a regular Kremling until Diddy and Dixie started paying him.
Then as it went on Klubba started liking all the Koins he was getting.
And then...purely for the reason of all those Koins.
Klubba started saying things like
"Kap'n K.Rool treats us rotten. I hope yer scupper his plans!".

to encourage the Kongs to collect more Koins.

For someone who never played DKC2.
I'm working out all these little stories that seem to make some bit of sense.
Trainee Trekker

Postby swoopysalvo » September 6th, 2008, 5:42 pm

It's pretty clear that Klubba isn't the only one unhappy with K. Rool's treatment of them. The lead egineer on the Blast O' Matic tries to leave as well as the Kasplat that reported to him at the beginning of the story.
Tourist

Postby Rodent » September 6th, 2008, 9:54 pm

I think he's just a pirate. Treasure is more important that loyalty.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Jomingo » September 7th, 2008, 5:31 am

I think it seems very plausible that Klubba disliked the treatment he and others recieved from K. Rool, but he also could've just been saying that for the Koins. I believe the former, but either way he is a traitor to K. Rool. He sold out K. Rool for money, and no matter what his reasoning was that makes him a traitor.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » September 7th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I'm not saying you're wrong, Jomingo, but I'd say there's a fair chance Klubba's toll is not just his own idea. I think K. Rool may be in on it, as Klubba clearly makes no effort to hide what he's doing. I mean, the word 'TOLL' is painted on his kiosk in big lettering. Surely the Kaptain would realise what Klubba was doing, what with K. Rool being an overbearing power-monger, and all. He'd be keeping a close eye on things. Actually, do you suppose that toll is meant for Kremlings, and he's supposed to keep Kongs out at all costs? That would probably make the most sense...

Although Wrinkly's 'Kremkoins' lesson makes it seem like straightforward business:

"For every bonus level you complete, you will get one of these.
Collect a lot and you can use them at Klubba's Kiosk."

Perhaps the Kong Family managed to strike up a deal with Klubba, prior to the start of Diddy's quest?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Gnawzooka » September 7th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Actually, you may have a point up there. Probably all Kremlings have to pay the toll into the lost world, and although the kongs aren't supposed to, Klubba doesn't mind letting them through if it meansd a few extra coins for him. Kremkoins are probably the kremlings' currency in general.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Jomingo » September 8th, 2008, 7:10 am

Ah, that does make sense. I didn't think that K. Rool would approve of something like this, but if it were meant for Kremlings and not Kongs, then it does make some sense. The Krem Koins being the main currency for the Kremlings also make sense, as they have "Krem" in the title, and also they are replaced in DKC3 with Bonus Coins. Why would they replace them? Because it is Kremling currency, and thus not found in non kremling territory.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Return to Storyline/Continuity