DKC Continuity/Timeline

A place for discussion of storyline facts and ponderings regarding the DKC trilogy (and beyond, where relevant).
Any facets of Kong and Kremling history - or other similar topics - can be discussed here.

DKC Continuity/Timeline

Postby Jomingo » August 20th, 2008, 11:35 am

I thought it would be good to come up with a logical timeline for the DK series. This is where we can discuss/debate when things happened and come up with theories and such.

Note: Do not get me wrong though. Because this is mostly about theorizing and fanwanks, this is not an official timeline for the site, just a place to debate over continuity and whatnot. Because debating about continuity is healthy. It keeps the mind sharp and expands our capacity for memory. I think.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: DKC Continuity/Timeline

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Sounds good, I'll open with something that may or may not be a ridiculous question... (it may even be a separate topic entirely... :? )

Is DK any relation to the original Kong (of the movie King Kong)? Really I'm wondering if 'King' Kong might loosely be a part of this timeline. Loosely.

Loosely? ← oh boy, that word has lost all meaning to me now. >_<
Last edited by Qyzbud on August 20th, 2008, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 'Kong' was the ape's name - 'King Kong' was the name given to him by the film makers within the story.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 20th, 2008, 12:37 pm

Very strange theory Qyz, but if that were the case, then there must have been a Queen Kong, (or some kind of female gorilla that related to King Kong), because males, (such as King Kong), can't give birth.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2008, 1:00 pm

What about that lady he was given as a sacrifice? Human and gorilla genetics aren't all that different...
Although there was a bit of a size difference. :lol:

Uh, let's not go there. :?

(However, that idea might help to explain why DK's bunch are so highly intelligent, and why they adopt so many human traits...)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 20th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Qyzbud wrote:What about that lady he was given as a sacrifice?

Now my brain hurts, it's hard to explain why though.

EDIT: Here's a thought, maybe one of King Kong's sisters, or brothers with a female, (it's possible that King Kong ended up growing quickly, while the brothers and sisters remaned normal size), ended up giving birth to DK, or someone related to DK?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » August 20th, 2008, 1:28 pm

I've been lately wondering that too Qyz!
Altough DK isn't a giant gorilla is he? :lol:

If we consider DKC Timeline's, the Original Arcade Donkey Kong is considered to be Cranky (as implied in DKC's manual), the original Donkey Kong kidnapped Pauline, and Jumpman (a.k.a. Mario) had to save her.
Now that I think of it, Cranky's original (not so original whatsoever xD) story is really simmilar to Kong's... :?

Now if we adventure ourselves to Kong's past, we can "say" "King" Kong is Cranky's all-time-lost brother, who ended in a laboratory, along with some other animals, and ended turning into the 45 meters tall gorilla we know off. After all, Cranky is simmilar in actitud to King. Later King visited his original family, spilled them with radioactive chemicals and made them intelligent. Noticing his savage nature, they ran away from him and went to the latter-known-as DK Island. At the same time, a crocodile in the same laboratory ran away too, but now being intelligent and much muuch larger. King K. Rool was born. Some animals followed him to another island next to the now-known DK Island, while a little variety (and much more intelligent) went to the island next to K. Rool's one, considering it more vivid and a lot more comfy (from the sight). DK had fun with Wrinkly and when the baby was born, Wrinkly called him DK Jr.; but since Donkey never liked the Jr. surname, he called him DK and while deciding for a new name to him, DK said "Crrchcaanpgby", later deriving in Cranky by Wrinkly. K. Rool noticed the neighbord-y island and noticed it was better; full with anger he decided to ruin the Kong's and company lives forever.

Or something like that and whatnot...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 20th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Very funny Kiddy14, :lol: , but since DKC isn't a real life thing, it's a possiblity.
Spoiler!
A little off-topic: Also in english, "lifes" is actually "lives" it's very confusing, but if there is an 'f' sound at the end of a word, and you make it plural, you change the 'f' to 'v', then add 'e' then 's', example: wolf=wolves. English can be confusing, but just study some more and you will get it. Sorry for being off topic.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:DK had fun with Wrinkly

Oh god, that sounded SO wrong until I thought about Cranky being the 'DK' you were referring to. Even now it sounds pretty damn awful.

Here's a thought; what was Wrinkly's name before she got old and... wrinkly..? Unless of course she was a wrinkly looking baby to begin with, or simply burdened randomly with a rather unfortunate name...

To gamer_boy:
Spoiler!
gamer_boy wrote:Sorry for being off topic.

You can use a spoiler (or a PM) for stuff like that. *edit: that's more like it! ;)*
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 20th, 2008, 1:45 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Here's a thought; what was Wrinkly's name before she got old and... wrinkly..? Unless of course she was a wrinkly looking baby to begin with, or simply burdened randomly with a rather unfortunate name...

I don't know, but I was always wondering what happened to Candy Kong after DKC1, she and Wrinkly both save your game, maybe she is Wrinkly... although it would be very wierd for young Candy Kong to marry old Cranky Kong, :lol: . However, in the GBA version of DKC2, she is in Swanky's Bonus Bonanza, so either the GBA team was thinking wrong, or my odd theory is WAY off.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2008, 1:48 pm

Uh, yeah... your theory is most certainly way off.

Among other facts I could point out, DK64 features both Wrinkly (deceased) and Candy, as I'm sure other DK games do.

EDIT: Although, you don't see them together at the same time, do ya? ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 20th, 2008, 1:50 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Among other facts I could point out, DK64 features both Wrinkly (deceased) and Candy, as I'm sure other DK games do.

Whoops, forgot about that. Anyways, I have NO idea who Wrinkly used to be named, chances are Wrinkly just got that name some how.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2008, 1:56 pm

I would actually assume that they are all just nicknames. Funky for instance... and Chunky, Lanky, Tiny... they all seem to be descriptions more so than names. Diddy and Dixie are a bit more like real names, but I think they both mean 'small'. And of course Donkey Kong is most likely a 'title' that is passed on to the alpha-male of the family/group.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » August 20th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Here's a thought; what was Wrinkly's name before she got old and... wrinkly..? Unless of course she was a wrinkly looking baby to begin with, or simply burdened randomly with a rather unfortunate name...

You know, if we consider Wrinkly (I'll make it sound better now xD) "married" Cranky the same year Donkey was born; and we consider Donkey to be around, what... 20 years old? Wrinkly was already too old to even have babies (probably around the 55's). Even if she made it, by the time Donkey was the Donkey we know now, she'd had to have around 75/80's years old. Gaining the Wrinkly name, also considering they got intelligence when King spilled them with radioactive chemicals that same year xD
Spoiler!
gamer_boy997 wrote:A little off-topic: [blah blah too much info xD]

Ahaha, I've had English class since kindergarden :x *sigh* but yeah, you never get enough learning :lol: Altough those "lifes" where actually a typo from me, I know stuff like mouse=mice, or leaf=leaves and that...

EDIT: Ok, you and gamerboy wrote like 3 posts before I posted mine... I should stop editing my messages so much...
So, if we do assume they are all nicknames, what are their real names?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » August 20th, 2008, 10:28 pm

Sorry I don't have much time to read all these posts as thoroughly as I should, nor will my response be as full as it should.

About King Kong, I highly doubt there is any relation, other than perhaps the Kongs taking there family name from the famed "King Kong" they had heard about. Or maybe the other way around. Maybe the people who named him King Kong had been to DK Island, and thought he was like the King of Kongs.

I always thought a good name for Wrinkly when she was younger would be Honey Kong. Don't know where I came up with it, but I like how it sounds.

I have a long theory about the DKC Timeline, but I don't have time to post it now. I'll be back sometime tomorrow.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » August 21st, 2008, 3:44 am

Jomingo wrote:I always thought a good name for Wrinkly when she was younger would be Honey Kong. Don't know where I came up with it, but I like how it sounds.

Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cody » August 21st, 2008, 9:57 am

THAT'S where I seen it. I also had no idea where I read it. :oops:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Jomingo » August 22nd, 2008, 10:11 am

OK, now I can post my theories.

First, I think that Cranky is the DK in Junglebeat. I mean, Cranky used to be called Donkey Kong, right? And there are no references to the current timeline to contradict this, right? So let's say that Junglebeat told the story of how Cranky traveled to a new land, saved the white monkeys, and created a settlement on the island. He dubbed it DK Island, and overtime the civilisation has blossomed and the habitat has changed drastically because of it. Also, the white monkeys carved Cranky's face into the mountain to honor him.

Next, the problem of Baby DK. Baby DK is said to be Donkey Kong, but we've already seen what Donkey Kong looks like as a baby (Donkey Kong JR). Now, either Baby DK is a younger version of DKJr, or he's a different character altogether. I say the latter, and that he's actually Cranky Kong as a child.

Finally, in order to solve the question of Cranky aging and Mario not, here's my theory: The apes on DK Island age twice as fast as humans. This isn't a new theory, but if they aged exactly twice as much, it would all work out wonderfully, as illustrated by this time line below:

Yoshi's Island DS- Cranky, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Wario as babies.
Donkey Kong Junglebeat- takes place around ten years later(making Cranky actually aged to 20).
Donkey Kong (arcade)- takes place another ten years later. This is when Mario travels to DK Island for the first time, and Cranky not liking the human habitation of his island tries to stop him. Cranky's son is already born, and Cranky would be around 40, and Mario around 20.
Donkey Kong Jr. - Takes place right after DKA.
Donkey Kong 1994- I'm not really sure what happens with this one, but I think it's a rehash of the original, but it's a unique game. Anybody else have more info?
Super Mario Kart- DKJr tries to follow Mario off of DK Island, and goes through a warp pipe and competes in Mario's first racing event.
20 years later.....

This leads us up to the current events. In the current games, I'd say that Mario is around 40, and since Cranky ages twice as fast, he's around 80. DKJr(or the current DK) is around 40.
I'm not really sure that Donkey Kong Country should start the current timeline, because we aren't sure if Donkey Kong had ever visited the Mushroom Kingdom before this(other than SMK). It's possible that Mario Golf for example, took place before DKC, but there's really no way of knowing.

Also, I'd place the Konga Trilogy in between DKLIII and DK64. Reasons:
-All the elements of the Northern Kremisphere(Ellie, Banana Birds, Barnacle Bear, etc.)
-DK mentions that he had never seen bongos before. But he played bongos in DK64. Hmmmm.....
-The appearance of Tiny Kong, in her original un-aged form!
-Also, it would explain what DK was doing all that time before DK64.

There are probably discrepancies that I am unaware of in my timeline. If anybody knows something I don't know, please say so.

EDIT: Just so you know, there was a "Queen Kong". There was even a baby Kong, he was covered in white fur. I can't remember if they had names.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Gnawzooka » August 22nd, 2008, 5:22 pm

Well, I just think it's a video game and doesn't really have an accurate chronological order, and that you're all trying too hard to think this out...
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Jomingo » August 23rd, 2008, 1:23 am

Well, I just think it's a video game that this entire site is centered around, and does really have an accurate chronological order, and that people who dismiss the timeline without even trying to figure it out are lazy, and that some of the people here spend all of there time thinking about stuff like this so you should just shut up and let us!

Jesus, I hate when people do stuff like this. If you don't think there's a proper timeline, than stay away from this thread. You don't need to waste our time with your negativity.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » August 23rd, 2008, 6:37 am

It's not negativity, is an "opinion".
Even Rareware has stated it sometimes: "It's a game, it doesn't have to be logical".
I really don't see an accurate timeline in the games. And all of the info there ^ is mere speculation :D
You can say the same with Tiny. Did she entered some kind of aging machine? xD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » August 23rd, 2008, 8:22 am

Well, OK, it could be that she entered an aging machine, or you know she might have just aged. I think it's safe to say that for the most part the games take place during the time of release(other than a few). DKC definately takes place in 1994, and Donkey Kong definately takes place in 1983. DKC2 is definately 1995, DKC3 is 1996 and DK64 is definately 1999. The rest of them don't state for sure, but we do know that DKRDS does take place 10 years after the original DKR. I'm not sure if the original DKR for sure takes place in 1997, but there's really no reason to believe it doesn't. Thus Tiny Kong simply aged 8 years from her first appearance in DK64.That is another reason why I don't think the DKa series takes place in the release time.

Konga was released in 2004, and it was the first time DK and Diddy had ever seen or heard of Bongos, so that means it chronologically takes place before Konga 2(this also means it must be before DK64). Konga 2 features Dixie's first time handling the bongos, so it must take place before Konga 3 in which she was already familiar with them. Konga 3 features Tiny Kong in her original un-aged form.

This is why I think that the Konga trilogy takes place before DK64, and after DKC3. Perhaps DK found the bongos in the Northern Kremisphere after being rescued by Dixie, and thus started his bongo practicing with Diddy. Then in 1997, Dixie joined them and they went on tour. There's not much information about Konga 3, as it was released only in Japan. But I would assume this takes place very close to DK64, as it features Tiny's unaged form.

A wierd thing is that Funky is also in DKa3, and he's in his mechanic clothing. He used this in DKC3, but he is different in DK64. When do we see him return to this clothing? Kos?
So Konga 3 either takes place close to DK64 but before Funky changed clothing, or sometime after it but before Tiny changed appearance. I'm going with before, because I do not think Funky changed back so quickly.

Another thing, I don't know if we'll even count DoKR, but I'm going to talk about it anyway. It was going to feature Tiny Kong in her unaged form, and also Kiddy Kong unaged. It also featured Taj the Genie, so I think it took place around DKR in 1997 or 1998. It must be before Kiddy aged, and Tiny probably didn't look much younger a couple years before DK64. Also, Taj still is in touch with Diddy apparantly, so it could be right after DKR.
Hmmm... yeah, that's where I'm going to place it in my timeline of events.

Also, can somebody fill me in on the storylines and events of Kos and JC? I'm not sure if these should be placed during there release times or if there's a better placement.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Jomingo » August 27th, 2008, 11:52 am

Okay, more ideas:
Donkey Kong Jungle Fever and Donkey Kong Banana Kingdom(Japan only Arcade games based off of Junglebeat) both take place (you guessed it) around Jungle Beat, which according to my theory is during Cranky's golden days.
The DK Arcade line of events goes like this:
First is Donkey Kong Circus (game & watch). This game depicts Donkey Kong (Cranky) in a circus juggling objects while riding on a barrel. I'm gonna say that he was kidnapped by humans and forced to play in a circus (the humans also stole his family tie). This is why he has a vendetta against humans. Then in Donkey Kong (Arcade) when Mario and others try to colonize Big Ape City, Cranky decides to kidnap Pauline, and Mario thwarts him. Then in Donkey Kong JR. Mario kidnaps Cranky, and DK saves him. Then DK (AKA DKJr.) follows Mario back through a warp pipe to compete in Super Mario Kart. After DK comes in last place he is angry, so he challenges Mario to a game of tennis (This part is Mario's Tennis for the Virtual Boy, not to be confused with Mario Tennis for N64 and GBC). DKJr loses, and humiliated he decides to go home, but accidentally goes through a wrong warp pipe that takes him to the future, where he plays tennis again alongside his future self in Mario Tennis N64. He then finds his way back home. While he was doing Super Mario Kart, Cranky decided to infiltrate Stanley the Exterminator's Greenhouse (because he hates humans), and he is defeated. Then, while DK is stuck in the future he is angry with Mario and wants to know where his son is, so he challenges him to a game of hockey in Donkey Kong Hockey(game & watch). He wins, and sends Mario home. Also, sometime before DK Jr returns he has another son, and he finds his family tie. Then, once DK returns from the future Cranky decides he is kinda stupid, so he tries to teach DK Jr and his other son (I'm not sure who; could be Funky or Swanky) how to do math in Donkey Kong Jr. Math.
Afterwards Cranky and DKJr decide to seek revenge on Mario one last time, and thus Cranky Kidnaps Pauline again in Donkey Kong '94.

Now, for the DKC Timeline:
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Donkey Kong Land III
Diddy Kong Racing
After Diddy returns from helping his friend Timber he and DK discover a pair of Bongos, and start practicing with them. (Donkey Konga).
Then Dixie and them go on tour (Donkey Konga 2).
Then Tiny and Funky get in on the bongo action in Donkey Konga 3.
Then Donkey Kong Racing would take place, and very soon after this would be Donkey Kong 64.

Now that's all I can put in order, the rest I'll need more info about before I can theorize.
I do know that DKRDS definately takes place in 2007, and Donkey Kong 64 is definately 1999. So that's a big gap of what I'm not sure about.
We do know that Jungle Climber definately takes place after King of Swing, because K. Rool is using the K. Kruizer IV instead of III in DKJC.
And we do know that Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2 takes place after MVDK1.
The only problem is, we don't know where any of these go in order of the timeline. It's very possible that DKBB takes place before DKRDS, and I'm not sure if there's any way of knowing.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 27th, 2008, 12:30 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Is DK any relation to the original Kong (of the movie King Kong)? Really I'm wondering if 'King' Kong might loosely be a part of this timeline. Loosely.

I came up with that exact same idea one time! I mean... He is a Kong. So logically, yeah.

And at one point in time, saying Donkey Kong wasn't similar to King Kong made people stare at you like this: :|

EDIT:

Diddy and Dixie are a bit more like real names, but I think they both mean 'small'.

I'm not sure if Australians are familiar with the term, but "Dixie" is the nickname applied to the Southern states of America. I think Rare was trying to push her "Southern-ness" with that name, while still trying to keep it unique and realistic.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » August 27th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Ah, yeah I've heard that use of the term before... but seriously... you think Rare was trying to push her "Southern-ness"?

Did I miss something? What does Dixie Kong have to do with the southern states of America... :?:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » August 27th, 2008, 10:45 pm

Well, Dixie is a name often applied to southern women, but not always. I doubt Rare would be trying to make Dixie into a southern girl.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 28th, 2008, 1:07 am

Qyzbud wrote:Ah, yeah I've heard that use of the term before... but seriously... you think Rare was trying to push her "Southern-ness"?

Did I miss something? What does Dixie Kong have to do with the southern states of America... :?:

Well... I don't know. She just seems Southern at times, but that doesn't mean she is! And it's not necessarily a bad thing, you know. :roll: 8-)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » August 28th, 2008, 2:17 am

Well, it may not be a bad thing, but it still doesn't make an ounce of sense.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby whitepony » August 28th, 2008, 2:37 am

yeah, i always thought dixie was supposed to be southern too. i know theres no proof but that just how i always imagined it
Newcomer

Postby Jomingo » August 28th, 2008, 2:59 am

Welcome to the DKC Atlas, WhitePony, please read the rules before you post again.

EDIT: Also, I have another theory. In DKC3 K. Rool mentions having a wife. Well, I think that the Kremlings are similar to bees, in that they have one queen and no other females. We already know that the Kremlings don't reproduce, all the kremlings come out of the Kremling source power (in DKC2) completely up to age and everything. So how do you explain Kip and Kass? Well, I think that only K. Rool and the other "royal family" members have the ability to reproduce, and that Kalypso is K. Rool's wife. See, only K. Rool and Kalypso can make children, and the entire rest of the Kremling race are born fully aged warriors through the Kremling source power. So Kip, Kass, and Kalypso each actually have the Rool surname.
Another thing, in order to continue my timeline, I'm going to need some other people to help me work on the placement of the Sports titles. Most of them are hard to place, so we need to pay attention to the character placements, dialougue and story in order to come up with a rough placement.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » August 28th, 2008, 5:33 am

Jomingo wrote:We already know that the Kremlings don't reproduce, all the kremlings come out of the Kremling source power (in DKC2) completely up to age and everything.

I'm confused :| I thought that source power was just that, a source power for K. Rool... not spawning kremlings? :?: Do you know where this is documented? It's not in the game nor the manual...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » August 28th, 2008, 6:01 am

I don't remember where I heard this, but I know that it's true. The Kremling Source Power is the source of energy that creates all the kremlings.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Gnawzooka » August 28th, 2008, 5:44 pm

I've never heard of that either. :|
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby CM August » August 28th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Jomingo is stretching the truth: the game's manual - for that's where the info comes from, at least in the PAL version - simply states that the Lost World is the rumored 'source' of the Kremlings. Unless it was elaborated on further in the official strategy guides.

Rare's explained in Scribes that there are certainly Kremling women and children abound; we just don't see them since they stay at home while the husband/father goes hunting (and banana-stealing).

But props to Jomingo for creating some of the silliest and most convoluted DK fanwank in the thread.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Jomingo » August 28th, 2008, 11:34 pm

Ah, perhaps I learned some of my "information" at the DKU. With all of my knowledge of the series I can never be sure whether what I think I know is true or not anymore...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » August 29th, 2008, 12:24 am

CM August wrote:props to Jomingo for creating some of the silliest and most convoluted DK fanwank in the thread.

As a rule, I don't laugh when reading stuff on the internet... however, I certainly got a chuckle from that. ^

Funny how you were the only one who had this amazing 'knowledge', Jomingo... I fear the DKU is a dangerous place for impressionable minds. :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » August 29th, 2008, 12:30 am

Hmmm... if only Sean were here right now, because I think he used to say stuff about the Kremling Power source sometimes.

I'm sure if we were arguing about this at the DKU we would already have several people posting essay long posts about the Kremling Power source, citing tons of sources too.

So nobody else seems to have heard any information about how all the kremlings are spawned by the KPS, and stuff like that? Tarter sauce. I guess it was just another fanwank at the DKU. :cry:

Also, my fanwanks aren't that silly or convoluted. I mean, apart from the Jungle beat DK being Cranky, pretty much everything I've said makes a lot of sense.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » August 29th, 2008, 12:45 am

Actually, I thought your Cranky/DK Jungle Beat idea was one of the best JB concept explanations I've ever heard.

However, I have been an avid fan of the DKC series for over a decade now, and this whole Kremling Power Source thing is something I've always thought people misunderstood. I'm not claiming that I know exactly what the 'source of the Kremlings' means, exactly... but my guess would be that they received their anthropomorphic orientation and above-average (for lizards) intelligence from the mysterious energy. As for the origin of their very lives? Well, crocodiles hatch from crocodile eggs, dear Jomingo.

;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » August 29th, 2008, 12:51 am

Well, even I am starting to doubt my Cranky in Jungle Beat theory. It would be fine if it weren't for the growing evidence that Kremlings once ruled DK Island. There are Kremling temples and there's Kremlantis, and this would lead me to believe that the Kremlings ruled DK Island, which is why K. Rool is always fighting with the Kongs. I guess that Cranky could still be the DK in Jungle beat, but I don't think that Jungle Beat is about him taking over DK Island, as I believe that the Kongs took the island from the kremlings a long time ago.

Another piece of evidence: There is a sphinx with a Kong head in DKBB. This would imply that the Kongs have been there for a long time. Perhaps Cranky is the DK in Jungle Beat, but it's about him liberating the Kong inhabitants of a nearby island, not him taking over and claiming the Island as DK Island.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » August 29th, 2008, 1:08 am

Hmmm, are we accepting Paon's contributions to the series as valid back-story 'truths'? I'm dubious about that...

Anyhow, that sphinx (which I haven't seen, by the way) could have been crafted as decoration for the racetrack, perhaps?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » August 29th, 2008, 1:26 am

Perhaps.

I'll try to find a picture of it later.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 29th, 2008, 2:05 am

I gawts mahself a pitchur.

I have a theory I've wanted to put out for a while:

After the events of Donkey Kong Jr., our current DK (Junior) got separated from the rest of his family and was forced to live on his own. One day, he wanted to find his parents again, but he was ashamed because he thought he could never livedup to his father's previous adventures. So, to prove himself, he set out to become the ruler of the jungle lands. After this, while sitting atop his banana-filled throne, he saw the ads for the Mini Mario and, wanting to get back at Mario after all he did to DK's family, he stole all of his products and tried to kill him with a gigantic robot death machine. Unfortunately, he was defeated, but was asked to join the Mario Toy Company as a full-time employee. At the televised broadcast of Super Mini Mario World's opening, DK tried to capture Pauline and bring her back to his father, because he now wanted to further redeem himself for helping Mario.

Cranky saw the whole thing and went to the theme park to stop his son. He apologized to Pauline and told her why DK was doing what he was doing, so after that Pauline forgave Donkey Kong and the ape was taken back to his home on Donkey Kong Island, where he met the rest of the Kong family and was declared rightful heir to the island after his first defeat of K. Rool.

Ayup. Makes perfect sense.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » August 29th, 2008, 2:55 am

Well, since according to my theory the Kongas take place in between DKC3 and DK64, and Junglebeat takes place before the arcade, I would think that DK decided to steal the Mini Marios out of boredom, as there was a 5 year gap between DK64 and Mario VS. DK. Though, your idea does make a little sense, especially since Funky Kong had to introduce himself to DK during DKC. But then if DKC takes place right after MVDK2, then when does he become close friends with DIddy, and more importantly when does he start dating Candy?

Though, I kinda like your idea. It explains why Pauline is in it, you know, because this would be between the Arcades and DKC. If I put that during that part of the time line, this is how I would say it:
After the DK arcade era (which, according to my timeline, ended with DK'94), and shortly before DKC, DK was still angry with Mario and decides to steal his Mini Mario toys, and then later kidnap Pauline. But sometime after DKC DK started competing in the Mario sports games, and with each game he did it less and less for revenge, and more and more for fun. And now they live in harmony and what not.

Two more things: DK'94, in my timeline, does not take place in 1994, as that's the same year DKC takes place, and in DK'94 DKJR is not grown up yet. The second thing, I forgot a game on my Arcade era Timeline: Donkey Kong II. It's very similar to DKJr, but different, so I'm gonna say it takes place after DKJr. Let's say Mario decided to kidnap Cranky again right after he was rescued in DKJr.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CM August » August 29th, 2008, 5:35 pm

Jomingo wrote:It would be fine if it weren't for the growing evidence that Kremlings once ruled DK Island. There are Kremling temples and there's Kremlantis, and this would lead me to believe that the Kremlings ruled DK Island...

Er... yeah dude, Rare answered that one in Scribes too. They did in fact rule the island as part of a vast Kremling empire, but it eventually fell into civil war and was reduced to ruin. In the same response that talked about women and children, no less...

Incidentally, almost all of the major DKU fanwank came straight from Chad or Slush, including that 'Kremling Force' story. Other fun ones were "Dixie is a monkey like Diddy, but hides her tail underneath her shirt" and "Diddy aquired prosthetic fingers and toes to improve his Golfing prowess for Toadstool Tour, and has worn them ever since".
Jungle Explorer

Postby Gnawzooka » August 29th, 2008, 5:39 pm

Hang on, what the hell is Kremlantis?
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby CM August » August 29th, 2008, 6:01 pm

An overworld of partially-submerged ruins in the game Donkey Kong Land.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Gnawzooka » August 29th, 2008, 6:39 pm

Ah, Donkey Kong Land. That's why i'd never heard of it. I had no idea DKL was so different from DKC. :shock:
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Jomingo » August 30th, 2008, 12:47 am

CM August wrote:Other fun ones were "Dixie is a monkey like Diddy, but hides her tail underneath her shirt" and "Diddy aquired prosthetic fingers and toes to improve his Golfing prowess for Toadstool Tour, and has worn them ever since".

Well, the prosthetic fingers one makes sense, how else does he go from four to five fingers? And Chad and Slush didn't come up with the Dixie is a monkey one(or at least, they aren't the only ones), I'm pretty sure that's a popular theory with a lot of fans.

In fact, most of Chad and Slush's theories make a lot of sense, the only one I don't agree with is how they say Kiddy is Chunky's adopted brother, and that he's a baboon.

Perhaps this "Kremling Empire" you speak of fell during the Kremean War?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » August 30th, 2008, 5:08 am

Jomingo wrote:Well, the prosthetic fingers one makes sense, how else does he go from four to five fingers?

That's a problem when developers change. In Japan, 4 fingers isn't treated well; they just gave them one more finger, but without thinking of an actual story of why they had more; developers don't really care.
Completely un-relevant example but with something in common: In the Jimmy Timmy Power Hour, when Timmy is in Jimmy's universe he has 5 fingers, since all the DNA models have 5. The same with Jimmy in Dimmsdale, he has 4 fingers. But no explanation for that.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby FunkyKong » August 30th, 2008, 8:03 am

On the DonkeyKong arcade game, that was Cranky Kong
Trainee Trekker

Postby CM August » August 30th, 2008, 9:17 am

Yeah, Japan his this stigma attached to 'toon' hands, as they believe it's a reference to Yakuza (Japanese mafia) who were infamous for cutting off fingers. It's a ridiculous notion, on multiple levels. As for how it applies to Donkey Kong, it's small potatos compared to what else they've done with the character designs.

The Kremean War occured less than 20 years before DKC3, which is hardly enough time. Aside from that, the ruins are obviously meant to be ancient, and way more elegant than anything the Kremlings threw together in modern times.
Jungle Explorer

Next

Return to Storyline/Continuity