Donkey Kong Jungle Beat's Story

A place for discussion of storyline facts and ponderings regarding the DKC trilogy (and beyond, where relevant).
Any facets of Kong and Kremling history - or other similar topics - can be discussed here.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat's Story

Postby Jomingo » July 27th, 2008, 12:50 pm

We all know of Donkey Kong Junglebeat's infamous story, or lack thereof. In case you forgot, it goes something like:

Donkey Kong must collect his bananas and become King of the Jungle.

Or something like that. So, I was wondering if any of you can come up with a better story explaining the games strange new enemies and locations. Of course, you're story cannot contradict anything that actually happens in game, so come up with a story without changing any actualy in game events.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat's Story

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 27th, 2008, 2:05 pm

They should have a Donkey Kong Jungle Beat topic in the other Donkey Kong games topic for this thread, since this game involves Donkey kong. Same with the Donkey Kongas. Back on-topic, the story could also be that the knights (the cactus knight, and the other knight) stole all his bananas, and he needs to get them back through his adventure, and get rid of the knights and their minions so they don't end up doing a bunch of evil sceams like K. Rool. did.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby CM August » July 27th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Donkey Kong, apon eating some suspect bananas, trips out. The entire game is a hallucination as Donkey endures his nightmarish subconsious.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Jomingo » July 28th, 2008, 1:06 am

Hahaha, yeah that would make sense. GamerBoy, I already asked Qyzbud about that, he did make a DKR section, and combined KoS and JC into Peg Swingers. Also, I told him if he didn't think that the bongo games were "DKC" enough, then he could just open up the Other DKC Games discussion so that you don't have to post in the subforums, that way we could put any other Other DKC Games that don't deserve there own subforum(DK Arcades, Mario VS. Donkey Kong, Kongas, JungleBeat), plus we could put any topics that deal with all Other DKC Related Games as a whole.

Um... anyway, I've got a few ideas as to how Jungle Beat could've gone.
1) The Fruit Kingdoms are in Mario's World. Think about it, Banana Kingdom, Durian Kingdom, Mango Kingdom, Mushroom Kingdom. This would explain all the strange enemies and environments. Perhaps these Kiss Kongs moved there through the warp pipe located on DK Island(the one he uses to go to all those Mario sport outings, and how Mario got to Big Ape City).
2) Karate Kong was exiled from DK Island, or perhaps he just left because he didn't like how Cranky ruled things, and he moved to the Fruit Kingdoms. He had three sons. A strange being fell from space and hypnotised all for of them. He took over this island, and split it into 18 kingdoms, 4 ruled by his Kong minions, 4 by his pet birds the Rocs, 4 ruled by his mechanical Tusks he built, and then the other 4 were left in control of the most aggressive species on the Island, the Hogs. The hogs are like the Kremlings of this game, as the majority of the enemies are hog-based. And then the last 2 were ruled by Ghastly King himself, though the first time he doens't show his true form. DK gets a distress call from the Gibbons, who are peaceful creatures caught in the middle of all this confusion, and he is told by Cranky the origin of these relatives. He decides to go and help his long lost cousins and liberate the Gibbons. Also, the Ninjapes are just Gibbons who voluntarily joined the evil side. After defeating all the Islands evil rulers, Ghastly King is destroyed and DK's Cousins are free of his evil magic. DK claims the Fruit Island as a protected region of the DK Isles, and leaves Karate Kong in charge of the islands safety.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 28th, 2008, 12:20 pm

My Jungle Beat story goes beyond the realms of any other explanation given on the internet.

This is hard for me to say in front of DK's most hardcore fans, but here goes... I believe that Donkey Kong is a big, strong, and emotionally unbalanced gorilla who isn't capable of rational human thought and enjoys mindlessly pummeling the literal crap out of any living thing he comes across for the simple pleasure of knowing he is the strongest being in the known multiverse. To prove this point, he traversed unknown lands in search of an opponent worthy to fight him, and when he suceeded in defeating said opponent, he claimed the title of King. And thus the story ends.

I like to think of it as DK's journey to self-awareness. We lowly mortals should not question such things.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » July 28th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Gasp! Tiptup, how could you say such things about the greatest video game hero of all time! He is not a barbarian, he is a saviour!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 28th, 2008, 12:25 pm

I... I'm sorry. I still love the big guy, but my opinions drastically differ from that of a normal fan on whether he's "on the same plane" as other video game heroes. Again, I apologize. But my thoughts needed to come out one way or another.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » July 28th, 2008, 12:43 pm

Well, I can't blame you for voicing your thoughts, but we can change them! :twisted:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » July 28th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Haha, nice perspective, Tiptup. :lol: I always figured he was in it for the bananas. I mean, giant fruit that hold hundreds of bananas upon draining them? That's amazing!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » July 28th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Come on guys, have you no faith in DK's moral consciense?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CM August » July 28th, 2008, 6:28 pm

Well I certainly have no faith in Tiptup's common sense.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 28th, 2008, 10:49 pm

Okay, very funny. I suppose I'll just head to the brainwashing room now. :P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » July 29th, 2008, 12:09 am

Yes, lifes easier that way; never having to think for yourself, being blissfully unaware of your own oppinions, it's actually a much happier life. :twisted:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DK4Ever » July 29th, 2008, 9:31 am

CM August wrote:Donkey Kong, apon eating some suspect bananas, trips out. The entire game is a hallucination as Donkey endures his nightmarish subconsious.

Amazing. I ♥ this explanation.

Although you know, I'll say it was something along the lines of the story Super Mario Bros 2 had (Not the actual SMB 2, the one with Wart etc.

Donkey Kong is dreaming, and ends up trapped in his dreams by King K. Rool, so that Donkey Kong can no longer thwart his schemes. Donkey Kong realizes this, and must collect all of his bananas and defeat the enemies within this strange dreamworld to escape and thwart K. Rool once again.
Treasure Hunter

Postby JadeRoseofChaos » June 19th, 2009, 3:42 pm

I heard somewhere on this website that the 4 monkey kings stole the bananas from the litte white monkeys and DK wanted to get them back (In the article section, I believe)...

The idea of the entire game plot revolving around DK's journey of self awareness amuses me though! Originally, that was one of my first impressions...

Regardless of what ideas come about, I still wish that there was more of a plot...
Tourist

Postby Jomingo » June 20th, 2009, 3:02 am

Well surprisingly, Jungle Beat's remake for the Wii has given it an actual plot, which essentially revolves around the evil Kongs stealing DK's bananas. It's not nearly on par with what Rare used to do as far as storyline, but hey, at least it gives a reason for DK beating the crap out of everything.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Darth » June 20th, 2009, 1:08 pm

But he didn't do much to the Kremlings in DKC or DK64. Just jumped on their heads or punched them once. In Jungle Beat, he jumps on top of the deranged enemies, and proceeds to pummel them like a savage just because they work for the ones the stile his bananas. I could understand if they kidnapped a bunch of his friends as well, but just bananas?
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » June 20th, 2009, 2:16 pm

Yeah, but that's just a gameplay element, it's not so much related to the story. Besides, DK64 had guns. At least his behavior in Jungle beat is somewhat realistic for a gorilla...

EDIT: OK, I've finally completed the game 100%. As far as the story goes, here it is:
Spoiler!
Basically, it seems Ghastly King has taken the Party Monkeys bananas and is wreaking havoc on the kingdoms. DK has set out to help them. Also, Ghastly King wants to destroy the world. They hint at the fact that the Kiss Kongs and the Ninjapes were actually hypnotized(or forced in some other way) to be evil. I'm pretty sure that Ghastly King is an alien, for the following reasons:
-There are Space levels in the game.
-He looks so damn weird.
-The level you fight him in looks like nothing of this Earth.
-He may have hypnotized the others(something very alienish)
-Why would he want to destroy the world if he lived in it?
-He looks so damn weird.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rare Lover » June 27th, 2009, 2:00 pm

So I just got the Wii version today and plot-wise I have some things to say. I just beat Cactus King and have yet to go back and obtain all the crests and truly beat the game.

First off, given the fact that you go into space just outside the planet's atmosphere and there are dozens of small planets/moons, is it safe to assume that this takes place in the Mushroom Universe unlike the DK Isle' which I assumed took place on our world judging by the planet earth in Barrel Blast. Or perhaps it could take place in its own universe if Super Mario Galaxy screws over that idea. So could one assume that perhaps this is an alternate universe's equivalent to DK Isle', the Fruit Kingdoms, which is a giant chain of islands consisting of many different kingdoms? That's the impression it gave me. Anyways, so DK gets word of the Gibbons stolen bananas (perhaps from the specific Gibbon that tells you information in the orange bushes, does he have a fan or actual name?) and he sets off to save the day. Later in Cactus King's lair the Gibbon says that he heard him say "I will destroy the world!" or something to that effect. So Cactus King came to the island chain, stole the bananas, and is trying to destroy the world? I suppose this could be a Kirby plot, get back something simple at first until it turns out some evil force is trying to take over the world. The idea of him being an alien seems to make sense, considering his looks (especially his face), and that would explain why he wants to destroy the world rather than take it over (unless I am incorrectly remembering what the gibbon said).

What still boggles my mind is why DK acts so barbaric. Perhaps the Kingdom is infected with some kind of drug that makes animals violent (thus explaining why everything sans the Gibbons wants to mutilate you).

Most of this is just fan speculation, I might be grabbing at straws, but I figured I would throw my opinion out there.

A little bit off topic, but is it me, or is DK's ducking animation taken straight from DKC?
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » June 28th, 2009, 12:35 am

Rare Lover wrote:Anyways, so DK gets word of the Gibbons stolen bananas (perhaps from the specific Gibbon that tells you information in the orange bushes, does he have a fan or actual name?) and he sets off to save the day.

Well, the Gibbons are actually called Party Monkeys, so the "fan" name I've given him is Smarty Monkey.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rare Lover » June 28th, 2009, 4:43 am

Smarty Kong works for me, for the sake of it I suppose he is the only significant Party Monkey in the game, and the only one of him.

So I figured I'd bust out the Manual and see if it had a story, and it did, under prologue it says,

One day, the peace of the jungle was disrupted by a rampaging pack of wild baddies who wreaked havoc on the residents of the jungle.

Not only that, but they laid claim to every kingdom and stole each one's precious bananas!

"This calls for the one and only Donkey Kong!"

Join forces with your jungle buddies to face an array of powerful enemies and restore peace to the jungle!

The manual seems to suggest that the Rocs, Hogs, Turrets, and Kongs are not actually brain washed, but part of Cactus King's army as well as perhaps the Ninjapes and maybe all the enemies. This would make sense why Cactus King has Gale Hawgs and so do the Ninjapes if that is the case.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » June 29th, 2009, 5:26 am

Well, the Kongs and Ninjapes all join you after you defeat Ghastly King, so they may have been hypnotized.

Oh, and there are two "Smarty Monkeys" in the final level right next to each other(at the end of Banana Banquet).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rare Lover » June 29th, 2009, 6:30 am

I don't know, they still look pissed off. Maybe it's a respect thing, you beat them in fair combat so they have the uttermost respect for you or some crap like that.

As for the two Smarty Kongs, could one be Smarty and the other be the Check Point one (Cheppy for the sake of discussion). I honestly don't remember, but I thought Smarty and Cheppy looked exactly the same.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » June 30th, 2009, 2:55 am

No, the Checkpoint one is a generic white monkey in a blue bush, where as Smarty has glasses and is in a brown bush. And there are two of them right next to eachother.

I don't see a need to consider them separate characters. Smarty Monkeys are just Party Monkeys that guide you throughout the game, and the Checkpoint Monkeys are just Party Monkeys that act as a midway in some levels.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rare Lover » June 30th, 2009, 4:10 am

I like the idea of individual monkeys, guess this game does not offer that, still is a hell of a lot better than the original (not to get off topic).
Trainee Trekker

Return to Storyline/Continuity