27%
Super Smash Bros. Melee
18%
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
55%

Total votes : 11

Favorite Smash Bros. game?

Postby DK4Ever » September 5th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Just wondering which game each of you guys preferred? The young, fun, unassuming Smash 64? The quick, tech-filled Melee? Or the "balanced", shiny, feature-packed Brawl?

Personally, I have to vote Melee, I love the speed, I love the amount of things in there, and I love Mewtwo, and a good Captain Falcon.

I do like Brawl though, I like the huge roster, Lucario, Diddy, new and improved DK, Olimar, and all the great stages (Although, Melee had FoD, I love that place)

What about you guys?
Treasure Hunter

Re: Favorite of the 3?

Postby Qyzbud » September 5th, 2008, 2:33 pm

As slow as the gameplay is, and despite the primitive (even for its time) graphics, I've cast my vote for the original.

I liked the fact that it was simplistic, yet wildly entertaining and conceptually ground breaking. The slow game speed worked in my favour, as I could keep track of the action considerably easier than with the GCN and Wii sequels (I typically find myself disorientated in the newer SSB titles). Besides that, it's the only competitive game in existence (other than DKR) that I have a chance with when taking on my gamer brothers! I tend to get the crap kicked out of me in Melee and Brawl... the gameplay's just a leeetle too frantic for me. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby DK4Ever » September 5th, 2008, 2:51 pm

Hehehe. Yeah, good times to be had with the original, that's for sure.

Man, Kirby was a POWERHOUSE in that game, he was so awesome. Ness too.

And did you know, that Bowser, King Dedede, Mewtwo, and Marth, were originally planned for the original? I definitely wish they'd been in the game, I'd have liked to see how they played.

Oh well, that's life.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Qyzbud » September 5th, 2008, 3:57 pm

I didn't know that... I must say the balance would have been off a bit if Dedede and Mewtwo had been in SSB64 - series-wise, I mean. Marth would have been 'just another Link', probably... but Bowser? Yeah, that could have been very cool. I was quite surprised that he didn't get in there, actually. It would have been a good way to keep DK from being the undisputed powerhouse (if Falcon wasn't enough, that is), but I must say I liked that nothing could match Donkey Kong's lethal wind-up punch. That thing was killer as a well-timed jump attack. :D

I like the way the developers managed to weave more and more retro references into each SSB game. Brawl's DKC series tributes are what makes it almost tied for first place in this poll, for me. So DK's final smash was a bit of a kick in the pants, but oh well. You can't win 'em all...
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Favorite Smash Bros. game?

Postby Gnawzooka » September 5th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Well, I'm not exactly sure what else they could've done with his final smash.
Anyway, I voted for Brawl, although I never played the original. I love Smash balls, and they have a huge soundtrack (did melee? I didn't actually play it that much, I haven't even owned a Nintendo console since the SNES...) and the SSE is pretty cool (Needed more kremlings though :x ). I kinda miss Mewtwo though, he's cooler than Lucario (if not as effective).
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby The Angry Sun » September 5th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Oh!
Why do you make me choose?

I would favor the original because it was back in a time where there was no fighting over teirs or which characters get in.
But Brawl has DIDDY KONG! and MASTERPIECES.

ARGH!

Gnawzooka,
Throw barrels left and right DKC style?
Trainee Trekker

Postby Rodent » September 5th, 2008, 10:33 pm

I voted for Brawl, just because of the content level.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Gnawzooka » September 5th, 2008, 10:46 pm

Argh! You killed it Rodent! They were all tied before! :P
The Angry Sun wrote:Gnawzooka,

Awah? What exactly do you mean?
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby The Angry Sun » September 6th, 2008, 4:18 am

Gnawzooka wrote:Argh! You killed it Rodent! They were all tied before! :P
The Angry Sun wrote:Gnawzooka,

Awah? What exactly do you mean?

Well Visualize if you will.

DK grabs the Smash Ball.
Then he just starts tossing Barrels at people.
Then a Giant one comes down and he tosses it and it's a One Hit-KO for everyone.

And by DKC-Style I mean he throws them over his head.
As opposed to in the Arcade games where Cranky just rolls them.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » September 6th, 2008, 7:33 am

Angry_Sun, please do not quote the entire post right above you. Just say what you have to say.

And that Avatar is already taken(by a mod even), so please change it. You won't have any luck in our gallery, as pretty much everything in there is taken. You're better off uploading your own.

As for the topic, I vote for the original. Nothing can beat memories of better days....

About DK's final smash, I would have a Rambi crate drop down, and DK get's on it and kicks everyone elses ass with nearly KO hits.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Swing King » September 6th, 2008, 7:56 am

Brawl for, Diddy, Diddy, Xananab Trophy, Bramble Blast as music, Pikmin, Wario, and Diddy.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Gnawzooka » September 6th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Swing King wrote:Bramble Blast as music

I find the Brawl Version to be quite horrible. :|
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby DK4Ever » September 7th, 2008, 2:44 am

Indeed, the Brawl Version wasn't orchestrated correctly. The beginning was done...oddly. I'd have much preferred the use of the original track, but hey, to each his own.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Diddy_Gal » September 7th, 2008, 4:39 am

I'd rather go with Super Smash Bros Brawl. Just for Diddy as a playable newcomer and the new Bramble Blast song. (IT ROCKS!)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 1

Return to Super Smash Bros. Series