The Super Smash Bros. Brawl Topic

Re: The Super Smash Bros. Brawl Topic

Postby Diddy_Gal » April 19th, 2008, 12:35 am

Yeah, me too. I really enjoyed playing as Diddy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
I love his beautiful 3D animated fur, his second idle animation when he scratch his hairy behind while stretching his body and his long tail, (THE CUTENESS! ^_^) the monkey sounds he make when he attacks (His monkey sounds remind me of an Ukki in (Super Mario 64 .) and the Monkey Flip attack.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 1

Postby Kowbrainz » April 25th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Well I finally got a hands-on Brawl experience... it was great fun, but it felt pretty much just like melee with a generous handful of extras sprinkled on top. :?

I love playing as Diddy, though... He's such the awesome.

Mm... nothing will beat my first experiences with melee, honestly (apart from finding out Kirby had been nerfed to hell). Melee was so far ahead of its time. I think Brawl is only really that popular now because of melee's success, which made caused many more people to buy Wii's and Brawl and led to a far larger competitive community than before.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » June 27th, 2008, 9:52 am

Brawl has been released where I live, as of yesterday. I'm off to play my own (shared with brother) copy now; this time a legitimate version!

My brother (Leif, or Leifox here) is insanely good at Melee, but I'm going to aim to be a challenge for him in Brawl. Yeah right... :P Anyone got a couple of tips for me when it comes to facing someone who is incredibly good with Falco, and nearly as good with any other character? I want to play as Diddy (and DK, if I'm in a mood for raw power...), so what can the Kongs do to counter Falco's style?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby CaptainEddie » June 27th, 2008, 9:58 am

You just got it? Dude! I've had it for months! I got it the first day it came out here!(March 9th) We need to have a match sometime. 8-)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Qyzbud » June 27th, 2008, 10:01 am

Where do you live? Here in South Aus we've only just got it... :roll:

I don't have broadband, unfortunately... but if I find a way, online multiplayer would be great!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby CaptainEddie » June 27th, 2008, 10:03 am

I live in south U.S. If you do find a way, give me your Brawl code. Maybe if you got that WiFi USB thing?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Kiddy14 » June 27th, 2008, 10:05 am

Qyzbud wrote:I don't have broadband, unfortunately...

Hehe, funny, I have broadband, but don't have a Wii.

I know, it's a shame! :( :o :cry:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Soniccuz » June 27th, 2008, 10:12 am

Got it yesterday, what'd you think so far? I don't have individual strategy but for most fights Diddy's Banana peels come in handy, don't think there of much use to against an acrobat like Falco though.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby CaptainEddie » June 27th, 2008, 10:16 am

If you press side B, Diddy does this little jump thing in which he clings himself to opponent's faces. Just do that while Falco dances around. 8-)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Soniccuz » June 27th, 2008, 10:22 am

It also makes for a good horizontal recovery.
I've never gotten the edible ammunition thing with the pop guns to work though...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby CaptainEddie » June 27th, 2008, 10:24 am

If you hold B long enough, the gun explodes in your face. :lol:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » June 27th, 2008, 10:56 am

Darn it, Qyz has finally got Brawl, but we both don't have Broadband.

Qyz, you said you share a copy, do you share the system too? If not, I find it a great way to get good by playing through the majority of the game by your self, before you start doing matches. Like the Subspace Emmissary and the Events. It makes you play with tons of different characters, so you get used to different moves and find the character best for you.

My best characters:
Diddy, DK, Meta Knight, Sonic, Bowser, Falco, Fox, Wolf, Mario, Kirby.

I've made like 20 awesome Stages, but I have no way of sharing them!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » June 27th, 2008, 12:20 pm

i've made some stages too, but they're not very well thought out.

My best characters: Link, Zero Suit Samas, Luigi :mrgreen: , diddy, Meta Knight, Sonic, Snake, Marth, and Pit.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Soniccuz » June 27th, 2008, 12:32 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EWxbXzxyc1g
Two of my less thought out stages:

Platform shuffle I saw the Vertical version and though this would be fun.
and the Grit, made completely randomly I love the three levels idea: top Spiked with plats on the sides. Middle narrow tunnel. Bottom tall Pillar stand off.

(Edit): me and Url code, fixed. :oops:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Jomingo » June 28th, 2008, 1:01 am

I've made 4 different Gangplank Galleon stages, and a Krazy Kremland stage. I also made a couple cool King of the Hill type stages.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » June 28th, 2008, 1:05 am

I tried to remake Bomb Omb Battlefeild from Super Mario 64, but it didn't work well due to lack of 3D and chain chomps. It's just so hard to find those these days.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Soniccuz » June 29th, 2008, 12:50 pm

I’m reposting my last message in the E3 topic related to Brawl here. Anyone with the power to do so, remove the original post in E3 if you like. As I can't remove my post if there are posts under it.

I'm an above average casual player and so don't keep up well with completive play beyond learning advanced techs for my favorite brawlers. But, sense the neutral stages are spread thin, I would think a few custom stages could be judged by the competitive smash community as except able and be added to the list; thus filling the list out a little.

Just a thought, and thanks for the list
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 30th, 2008, 12:22 am

See, I'm not a casual gamer at all. I'm as hardcore as hardcore gets, but I can still see why Brawl is such an improvement over its prequels... Stage builder, more charactarz, story mode and improved trophy mode are what really make the game shine for me.

But I guess my kind are a dying breed. :|
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Soniccuz » June 30th, 2008, 8:06 am

Other than Diorama mode I don't see the improvement on trophy mode. It feels like they restricted the zoom feature, which if you’re using the trophies as reference material for drawings, can make it a little harder with trophies like Halberd. But otherwise I agree.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby CaptainEddie » July 2nd, 2008, 6:08 am

Brawl has its improvements, but it also replaced a lot of characters like Mewtwo and Young Link with characters like Lucario and (ugh) Toon Link.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » July 2nd, 2008, 6:34 am

Well, they have to represent each franchise with characters that are relevant to the series now.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » July 2nd, 2008, 10:01 am

Like the Ice Climbers? XD They had what, one game?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Soniccuz » July 2nd, 2008, 12:09 pm

Spoiler!
Mario franchise: 6 (counting Yoshi)
Pokemon: 4 (6 if you count pokemon trainer three times. :shock: )
Zelda: 4 (5 counting sheik)
Kirby: 3
Star Fox: 3
Donkey Kong: 2
Fire Emblem: 2
Mother: 2
Metroid: 1 (2 counting ZSS)
F=Zero: 1
Pikmen: 1
Metal Gear: 1
Sonic: 1
Old Foggy Characters raised from the grave: 4

I personally like the old fogy category.

They should ease up on the Mario and Pokemon they're well represented!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Jomingo » July 2nd, 2008, 12:34 pm

Not only do they have to represent each franchise, but they are trying to represent Nintendo in general, so they have to bring back a few classics like Kid Icarus and Ice Climbers.

I think DK and Metroid specifically are being unrepresented. Is Luigi and Wario really that important to Nintendo's history? Lucario? Toon Link?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Soniccuz » July 2nd, 2008, 12:57 pm

Luigi is very important to Nintendo. I think the original 8 are main stays; including Jigglypuff.

Wario really that important to Nintendo's history? Lucario? Toon Link?

I'm more surprised Olmair made the cut then Wario. Toon and Young Link are almost interchangeable but, I agree. Do we need both young/toon and present versions of the same fighter? Does that make Baby Mario and Bowser eligible? I hope not.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby CaptainEddie » July 2nd, 2008, 1:21 pm

Jomingo wrote: Is Luigi and Wario really that important to Nintendo's history? Lucario? Toon Link?

Well, it's not all about Nintendo's history. Snake had three games for Nintendo. It also has to do with what they think will appeal to the public and who they think the public will enjoy playing as.
;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby CM August » July 2nd, 2008, 6:46 pm

It's just a popularity contest. And the occasional whim of the developer, as the case was with Ice Climbers. Little regard is given to the actual importance and relevence of a given series. Donkey gets screwed for a number of reasons:
1) Nintendo doesn't think he's a high-priority franchise,
2) He hasn't been given much attention for almost ten years (see 1),
3) His new titles since Rare left have either met lukewarm sales or just sucked outright (see 1 and 2)
4) Nintendo appears to consider him little more than a Mario spinoff (which leads to 1).

Aside from the inclusion of Diddy, DK's representation in Brawl is even worse than Melee.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Jomingo » July 3rd, 2008, 1:29 am

DK's Representation in Brawl:
Spoiler!
75m.
Rumble Falls.
Jungle Japes.
DK and Diddy playable.
Diddy's Final Smash.
DK's Final Smash.
Tons of Trophies, including a bunch of Paon characters.
A DKCesque level in SSE.

Thats way more than any of us expected considering Nintendo hates DK.

The only reason Snake is in is because Konami begged Nintendo to put him in. Once they decided to allow 3rd Party characters like Snake, they had to have the original competitor, Sonic.

When coming up with characters, they have to consider four things.
1) Representation of there history. (Ice Climbers)
2) Representation of the Present. (Olimar)
3) Representation of each Franchise. (Replacing Young Link with Toon Link)
4) What the fans want. (Sonic)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 3rd, 2008, 1:41 am

Also, they have to consider what actually makes sense. Had they listened solely to "What the fans want", we would've had freaking Geno playable. It's less about franchise history and representation and more about what works and what doesn't.

And I do agree with Joe Minga in saying that DK's representation in Brawl was vastly superior to Melee's. Come on, we got Diddy! Heck, in the fifth Smash Bros. game we might even get K. Rool.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » July 3rd, 2008, 2:30 am

Are you kidding? Getting Diddy in Brawl wasn't a prize, it was a given. Diddy should've been in Melee, considering Donkey Kong is Nintendo's first series, and like third most profittable. K. Rool will be in Smash 4. It would be stupid of them to not have him playable, considering how well he was voted for on their poll. Hell, Starfox even has three characters, and none of them are as unique as K. Rool! Krystal should've been playable instead of Wolf, K. Rool and Ridley should've been in, and to hell with ROB and Snake.

So yeah, Melee's representation sucked in comparison to Brawl.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » July 3rd, 2008, 2:56 am

Hey, I like playing as Snake.

But the Starfox characters are all stupid repeats. They all have the same moves, and the same Final Smash. It's crap.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby egruntz » July 3rd, 2008, 9:00 am

The Mario and Pokémon franchises get such huge representation because they are most important to Nintendo. Mario, Pokémon, and the Legend of Zelda are the top three franchises in all of Nintendo. Donkey Kong may have been the first game to Nintendo, but currently it's just not comparing to the top-selling games. Diddy Kong should have been in Melee, and King K. Rool should have been in Brawl. Honestly, I think that Mario's franchise should have consisted of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Bowser Junior. Zelda's franchise should have been Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, and Midna. Pokémon is good where it's at.

The character roster is just another disappointment about Brawl. Hopefully in SSB4 they'll have Funky Kong and K. Rool included. That'd make me very happy. ;)
Tourist

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 3rd, 2008, 9:10 am

Are you kidding? Getting Diddy in Brawl wasn't a prize, it was a given. Diddy should've been in Melee, considering Donkey Kong is Nintendo's first series, and like third most profittable

...B-b-but... It's Diddy... :cry:

Hopefully in SSB4 they'll have Funky Kong and K. Rool included.

And you'd take Funky over Dixie? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby CaptainEddie » July 3rd, 2008, 9:15 am

And you'd take Funky over Dixie? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

Exactly! And besides, what moves would he have anyway? Dixie would be a much better addition.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby CM August » July 3rd, 2008, 8:38 pm

Jomingo wrote:Getting Diddy in Brawl wasn't a prize, it was a given.

Every one of your other points were a given too, in that most playable characters got just as many if not more representation than Donkey. It's impressive if one just compares the number of DK features to Melee, but still lousy compared to what other Brawl characters got.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 3rd, 2008, 11:26 pm

When you compare DK to Mario, Zelda, and Kirby, then yeah. We got screwed. But let's take a look at these series, shall we?

1. Ice Climbers- Had no additional characters, only one stage, and a total of three trophies.
2. Gyromite- The most under-represented franchise in Brawl. Got one character, no stages, and its character's trophy was thrown into the "Others" section.
3. Pikmin- One character and stage... Although Olimar's final smash and the sheer ammount of trophies balance this out.
4. F-Zero- One character and not much recognition in the SSE.
5. Game & Watch- One character, two trophies, and a typical "sequel stage" to the first Flat Zone in Melee.

I'd say the Donkey Kong series is about in the middle in terms of representation, with two characters, three stages, a buttload of trophies, awesome final smashes, and an excellent part in the Subspace Emissary. So stop whining.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby CM August » July 3rd, 2008, 11:43 pm

Those are all miniscule or obscure franchises however, rather than giants like Donkey Kong. Then take Kirby, a series on a much lesser tier than DK, and how much exposure that got.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 4th, 2008, 12:00 am

You calling them miniscule and obscure franchises only proves how under-represented they are. All I'm trying to say is, some franchises got much worse treatment than DK, and we should all just be happy with what we have. :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby CM August » July 4th, 2008, 12:31 am

In response to your call to 'stop whining', while it's fine that you have almost no critical opinion whatsoever, there's no justification in deriding people that do. These are resonable points even if they're not flattering.
For the record, none of those franchises had a level of importance comparable to Donkey Kong at any stage, and are arguably more popular now than they've ever been. It's an entirely different scenario.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Jomingo » July 4th, 2008, 3:57 am

Yeah, I agree. DK got better representation then those franchises because he deserved more representation. Seriously, Ice Climbers? They haven't had a game in like 14 years. The only major franchise that got shafted more than DK was Metroid.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 4th, 2008, 5:30 am

Gee, sorry for having a positive outlook on life for a second. I guess I'm just tired of Brawl conversations like "Come on guys, the so and so franchise did pretty well with such and such", and then someone else says "SAKUARI DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THAT FRANCHISE THAT'S WHY WE ONLY GOT TWO CHARACTARZ HAHAHA!", and then the other guy bursts into tears at his computer when he realizes his life is a jumbled mess. Because it is.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby CaptainEddie » July 4th, 2008, 5:58 am

Wow, Tiptup. Intresting example. :lol: Personally, I'd like Dixie in there, but I'm happy with Diddy.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby BlueTronic » July 4th, 2008, 5:59 am

It seems a lot of people either don't have broadband, don't have a Wii, or don't have either! I have both broadband and a Wii. 8-)
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby CaptainEddie » July 4th, 2008, 6:00 am

I have Cox and a Wii. You up for a match sometime?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby CaptainEddie » July 4th, 2008, 6:07 am

Okay. :twisted: How about....now? I'll put your friend code in, you do the same and I'll beat your butt. 8-)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby CaptainEddie » July 4th, 2008, 6:11 am

Ready when you are. :twisted:

EDIT: Victory is mine, ha ha! :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby BlueTronic » July 4th, 2008, 6:25 am

Dammit. I always lose on that stage :evil:

You wouldn't have been so lucky if I chose the stage!
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby CaptainEddie » July 4th, 2008, 6:28 am

Bah, I hate that one too. I picked random. :| Besides, I absolutely suck with Diddy. (Compared to Link, ZS Samus, etc.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

PreviousNext

Return to Super Smash Bros. Series