Differences between SNES versions? (input very welcome)

Where dead topics hang out.

Differences between SNES versions? (input very welcome)

Postby Qyzbud » February 19th, 2008, 1:02 pm

I'm beginning to look into the differences that exist between different versions of DKC for SNES. I'm aware that there are at least three different regions for which this game was adapted, so there are PAL, NTSC and JAP (perhaps more...?). There are also numerous revisions that were released for each region, I think they would be primarily bug fixes.

If anyone has a full list of releases and revisions, that would be very helpful.

I'm also very curious which version(s) the Wii's VC system uses. That curiousity is a big part of my reason for starting this thread. From lots of observation and record keeping, I've come to think that the PAL release(s) may include text that the NTSC version(s) may not have. Cranky seems to use phrases in my PAL game that don't appear (at least I don't think they do) in my emulated NTSC 'v1.2' game.

Also, it seems that if you pause the game while swinging on a rope/vine, you will have continued to swing, just not visibly. When the game is unpaused, your position and the rope/vine's might be instantly 'teleported' to match where you would have been by then, had you not paused it. This seems to only happen on NTSC, because it doesn't happen on my PAL game.

Any thoughts or contributions are appreciated!

Note: If people have knowledge regarding DKC2 and DKC3 versions, please start new topics on the applicable boards. Thanks.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Differences between SNES versions? (input very welcome)

Postby The Kirby » February 23rd, 2008, 7:53 am

I've been taking an interest in the differences between the game versions as well, and have already posted two videos which show version-dependant glitches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMJ2g9ZG6w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV23LreFTeU

As I posted under the description for my "Over the Ice" glitch:

"To my knowledge, there are a total of three versions of the game: the American (3 revisions, plus the Competition Cartridge,) the European (2 revisions,) and the Japanese version (2 revisions.)"

That makes a total of eight different revisions for the SNES alone! Yikes! :shock:

There are a couple other version dependent glitches I could post about, but it'd probably be better if I created individual topics, huh? ;)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 5

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 23rd, 2008, 8:48 am

The Virtual Console version for each game is the same as it's original release in your territory. For example, I'm from North America, so the North American version is on my VC. If you're in a PAL territory, then that's the version you get, so on and so forth.

The only time this rule doesn't apply is, obviously, when a Japan-only game is released in another territory. Then it's the same version throughout the world... I think.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » February 23rd, 2008, 9:24 am

Things that don't work on newer versions:
Glitch: DK Barrel imprinted on Dumb Drum (Giving him white eyes)
Glitch: Trade an animal buddy for Rambi
Game Genie/PAR codes.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Return to Post Mortuary