Pre E3 2008 Discussion/Predictions

Where dead topics hang out.

Pre E3 2008 Discussion/Predictions

Postby Jomingo » June 26th, 2008, 4:34 am

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only 19 days left until the biggest video game show of the year. So, of course, there's going to be lots of speculation about what will be unvieled, and this is the topic to do it in.

GO!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: Pre E3 2008 Discussion/Predictions

Postby Soniccuz » June 26th, 2008, 5:03 am

Games I'm looking to hear more about:

Kirby Wii
Any Donkey Kong games
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Chronicles
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Jomingo » June 26th, 2008, 6:58 am

I'm just hoping we hear about this DK game they're supposedly making.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » June 26th, 2008, 8:45 am

I could go for a new Zelda game. But they don't make them very often. Takes a few years to make a GOOD game.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » June 26th, 2008, 9:36 am

Yeah, I don't think we'll see another Zelda this year. Maybe next year, and if not then definately the year after that.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » June 26th, 2008, 9:42 am

Hmmm, yes, most likely. I just hope they get this DK game right.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » June 26th, 2008, 9:47 am

Yeah, me too.

We'll see some stuff from Gears 2 and Banjo for Microsoft. I don't know about Sony or Nintendo though.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » June 26th, 2008, 9:50 am

Oh yes. Rare had better get the new Banjo game right. It sounds a little risky to the franchise...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » June 26th, 2008, 9:51 am

Yeah, it's not really Banjo anymore, but it will be an amazing game nonetheless.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » June 26th, 2008, 10:04 am

One question, though....why does Mumbo look like a model in overalls? Have you SEEN his new character design?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby CM August » June 26th, 2008, 5:25 pm

I just want to know about the next Donkey Kong game. I will bet cash money they'll use those horrible redesigns.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 27th, 2008, 1:05 am

Um... are you talking about the Paon designs? If so, you better get used to them. From the looks of it, they're not going anywhere.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Soniccuz » June 27th, 2008, 1:15 am

The Simplistic Paon designs I can get use to but, I wish they could get the kongs personalities right.

Cranky: mister instruction manual with a tendency to yell saying like "Tar-nation!" Not the Cranky I know!

Other instances that show Paon's writers are sub-par: Diddy's dialog all though in character is completely generic and predictable.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Jomingo » June 27th, 2008, 1:45 am

Yeah, Cranky's the only one I have a problem with.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » June 27th, 2008, 2:05 am

I don't think I've seen that....
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Soniccuz » June 27th, 2008, 3:20 am

I don't mean to spiral us out of topic but, Barrel Blast and Jungle Climber use Cranky to explain the controls and it reads like notes from a excessively dry video game lecture.

Anyway, I hope that for a Donkey Kong Wii Dixie will be playable.

And if a new Kirby game is in the works Gooey form Dreamland 2-3 comes back.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby CM August » June 27th, 2008, 6:51 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Um... are you talking about the Paon designs? If so, you better get used to them. From the looks of it, they're not going anywhere.

Better yet, I'll continue pointing out how crap they are. You don't simply embrace a problem if they're not going to correct it.
The Simplistic Paon designs I can get use to but, I wish they could get the kongs personalities right.

K. Rool is worse. His dialogue sounds like it was written for Bowser, complete with 'Gwa ha ha!'. What happened to his stately mannerisms in DK64? He just sounds like a big thug now. In fact, his little posse in the game is simply referred to as the 'Kremling Gang'. Yeah, that's a welcome departure from 'vast Kremling army'. Not to mention his stupid voice, animation, and yes, the character design, which is easily the worst change out of all the characters. I'd elaborate further by posting comparisons, but that would be a waste of time, wouldn't it.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 28th, 2008, 12:06 am

I don't see what the big problem is with the new designs. Yes, K. Rool's personality is a little off and Dixie's face looks like a coconut, but seriously. They really don't bother me much.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby CM August » June 28th, 2008, 7:50 am

That's nice and all, but they're still changes for the worse whether you care about it or not. Personally it kills my enthusiasm for the series because the characters don't look or act the way they should; whereas other people such as yourself would be merely content with their presence.

Anyway, I've been thinking over E3 for a while now. Besides Donkey Kong, I'm interested in seeing any games we don't know about yet.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 28th, 2008, 11:56 pm

CM August wrote:...whereas other people such as yourself would be merely content with their presence.

Wow... you know, I never really thought about it like that, but I guess that's what my problem is. As long is someone is in a game, I'm perfectly happy, regardless of their design. Of course, I still know an awesome character design if I see one. ;)

Probably because the helper Kongs in the DKCs changed their outfits every game, so I stopped caring a long time ago.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby egruntz » June 29th, 2008, 5:22 am

Super Smash Bros. 4, because Brawl was such a huge disappointment. I'm mostly interested in the new Donkey Kong game that everyone is so hyped about. I hope that they have 3-D models in a 2-D world (like the adventure mode in Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl). But don't make the controls the same, keep the good-ol' Donkey Kong Country feel to it. That is, if it's even going to be Donkey Kong Country 4. The most recent Donkey Kong games have been more or less of a failure.

I hope that Reggie is the host for Nintendo again. ;)
Tourist

Postby Soniccuz » June 29th, 2008, 6:11 am

What made Brawl a disappointment to you? To me it's an improvement.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby egruntz » June 29th, 2008, 7:54 am

Wel,l I'm taking the view of a competitive player. I've been playing Smash Bros. competitively since Super Smash Bros. 64. Super Smash Bros. Brawl got rid of everything competitive: l-canceling, wavedashing, ledge teching, and a lot of other advanced techniques. Plus, they added a random tripping function (which is the most stupid part), which really makes the game arbitrary. The hit-stun time makes it so that combos are nearly impossible to pull off (and I'm talking about actual combos here, not the predicting-tech-chasing that is so common in Brawl), and the gravity is floaty and slow. The stages are a huge disappointment (there's only about five neutral stages), and the story mode wasn't very fun at all.

I only play Brawl because of the new characters and the online capabilities (which is also a huge disappointment compared to Mario Kart Wii and other online games). For all of the time they worked on Brawl--through all of those extensions and delays--the game really didn't live up to its hype. I honestly play Melee and 64 more than I do Brawl. Heck, I've been playing Mario Kart Wii more than Brawl, as of late.
Tourist

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 29th, 2008, 9:32 am

...Brawl was awesome. You, sir, must be delirious and are in serious need of bed rest.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Soniccuz » June 29th, 2008, 9:43 am

In my opinion, online play however lacking it may be in options. Makes Brawl a much more competitive game then the last. Stage builder, with some standard ground rules set in place, should open the door to better stages. At least there is a story to adventure mode this time around. Tripping as well as the tweaked physics and removed advanced techs I don't have a counter argument for, and agree that tripping is the stupidest thing ever brought into Smash.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby egruntz » June 29th, 2008, 10:22 am

TipTup Jr. wrote:...Brawl was awesome. You, sir, must be delirious and are in serious need of bed rest.

Let's not bring blind-opinions into this conversation. As I've said, this is coming from a competitive standpoint. I'm a member of plenty different Smash Bros. communities, including smashboards.com, allisbrawl.com, and brawlcentral.com. The majority of the entire Smash community agrees that Brawl is a let-down compared to the previous two games.

Soniccuz wrote:In my opinion, online play however lacking it may be in options. Makes Brawl a much more competitive game then the last. Stage builder, with some standard ground rules set in place, should open the door to better stages. At least there is a story to adventure mode this time around. Tripping as well as the tweaked physics and removed advanced techs I don't have a counter argument for, and agree that tripping is the stupidest thing ever brought into Smash.

In Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl, there's an additional feature where you can select which stages will be picked when the random stage selection is chosen. In Brawl, you cannot control the custom stages specifically. You can either turn custom stages on or off as a whole. People have brought up that you could just delete all of the custom stages that aren't competitively neutral from that Wii, but they're forgetting about the three sample stages (which are very unfair and cannot be deleted).

Casually, Brawl is a great game. The items, stages, and characters really bring fun to the game. But if you're coming from a competitive view on the franchise: Brawl could have been made much, much better.
Tourist

Postby Soniccuz » June 29th, 2008, 10:42 am

they're forgetting about the three sample stages (which are very unfair and cannot be deleted).

That's strange I had no problems deleting the sample stages on my game.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby egruntz » June 29th, 2008, 11:00 am

Soniccuz wrote:That's strange I had no problems deleting the sample stages on my game.

Ah. I just double-checked, and it appears that you are right. I was thinking of the special stages that you receive daily from Nintendo Wi-Fi. Even so, there has not yet been a tournament that had included custom stages into their list of neutral and counter-pick legal stages. Usually in tournaments/Smash-fests, more than one Wii are used. To transfer the data of the stages from SD Card to each Wii is a real pain. Beyond that, the stage builder is rather of a let-down as well. You cannot select the starting points for each character, you cannot connect terrain to the very bottom of the map, and you cannot create walk-off stages. What's worse is the amount of space that some of the objects take up. Is it really necessary to cover five tiles vertically when the object itself only covers two or three?

Using custom stages for competitive play has already been discouraged by the "officials" and "elites" of the Smash community. Custom stages haven't been used in tournament play until now, and that's most likely never going to change. In case you're curious, the list of stage legality is the following:

Neutral:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter-pick Legal:

Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Frigate Orpheon
Battleship Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Jungle Japes (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)
Brinstar (Melee)
Pokémon Stadium (Melee)

Of course, any tournament host is welcome to personally select what is legal and what is not in their own tournament, but this list is what is commonly accepted throughout the Smash community. But hey, I think I'm getting a little too off-topic here. I'd be glad to talk with you more about this in the stickied Super Smash Bros. Brawl thread, or you can just PM me.
Tourist

Postby Soniccuz » June 29th, 2008, 11:19 am

I'm an above average casual player and so don't keep up well with completive play beyond learning advanced techs for my favorite brawlers. But, sense the neutral stages are spread thin, I would think a few custom stages could be judged by the competitive smash community as expectable and be added to the list; thus filling the list out a little.

Just a thought, and thanks for the list.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Jomingo » June 29th, 2008, 11:39 am

Way off topic, we have topics to discuss Brawl.
But since I'm here:
If you compare Brawl to the previous installments, it's not really an improvement, but it's still really good. I can see how it can be a dissapointment from a competitive standpoint, but I still think it's a great game.

Now enough off topicitude.

Question: Did we ever hear anymore about that 360 wii mote? If not, we might see that at E3, or it's just a really fake rumor.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Soniccuz » June 29th, 2008, 11:50 am

Figured I was, it seems to me Nintendo has kept a tight lid on their E3 stuff.

Is there an article or something I haven’t headed of this 360 Wii mote (or 360 Mote rather).
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Jomingo » June 29th, 2008, 11:56 am

Well, there was a rumor that Rare was developing a Wii mote like controller for the 360.

It was pretty big news for a while, and then it kinda died down. It still hasn't been confirmed.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Soniccuz » June 29th, 2008, 12:35 pm

One of the comments provided a smaller article that lists a price range a picture and say's to expect it in a year or so. But, that one sounds like a definite rumor.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Jomingo » June 30th, 2008, 6:34 am

Well we were told we would either see it at that event where they unveiled all the Banjo 3 news, or if not then we'd see it at E3. But after we heard all about the new Banjo everyone kinda forgot about this.

I doubt it's true.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 14th, 2008, 6:12 am

Games I'm hoping for: Pikmin 3, Animal Crossing Wii, Paper mario 4 (RPG please), another Donkey Kong 2-D adventure (maybe Donkey Konga Country?), and maybe another cool mario game. I wonder what the "Big game" is going to be.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 15th, 2008, 6:38 am

Well, there was no mention of a motion controller for 360, so I'm officially calling that rumor a dud. How dissapointing.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Jomingo » July 17th, 2008, 7:27 am

Well, since E3 has already commenced and is nearly over, this topic no longer has a purpose.

Locked.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Return to Post Mortuary