DKC's 20th Anniversary Hack

Where dead topics hang out.

DKC's 20th Anniversary Hack

Postby Cody » September 2nd, 2014, 9:29 pm

Lately I've been working solidly on a Donkey Kong Country hack that aims to completely revamp the majority of the game. My goal is to create a hack that I personally feel is true to the original game's unique feel and rhythm. I intend to engage the player with a hack that is not only challenging, but hopefully refreshing. I want to make a hack that I feel any DKC fan would play through. Hopefully my efforts point to nothing but success. :thumbs:

I'm working really hard to release the hack by November 21, 2014, the 20th anniversary of DKC's original SNES release date. I'm currently finishing a full level every 1-2 days, and I've already got substantial progress.

I don't want to release too much at the moment, just the notion that this hack exists, but I'll share with you video footage of Jungle Hijinxs and a little snippet of Tree Top Town so you can get a general feel of where I might be going with this:

1-1 - Jungle Hijinxs (sneak peak)

3-2 - Tree Top Town (bonus clip)

Every so often I'll update the thread with clips of various levels... About a month before release-time, I'll post a trailer! :kiddycool:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Re: DKC's 20th Anniversary Hack

Postby Qyzbud » September 2nd, 2014, 10:00 pm

Looks very playable and polished so far, Cody — keep up the good work! :nicework:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » September 2nd, 2014, 11:37 pm

Please note that you should re-download DKCRE if you didn't catch the bug fixes update.
(I silently re-uploaded it on a few occasions to fix a few saveout and key assignment errors.)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Super Luigi! » September 4th, 2014, 12:53 pm

I can't say much, but I do appreciate your efforts, Cody, and wish you the best of luck! :dixiehappy: From what I've seen so far, you're hack is definitely not some cheap tile moved or Kaizo hack. :rant: You have my support! :banana:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Cody » September 4th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Thanks! :D

I'll upload footage of Ropey Rampage later tonight...stay tuned!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Super Luigi! » September 4th, 2014, 1:11 pm

You're welcome, and I shall remain here on the Atlas for a few hours. Remember, if you ever need moral support, you know where to find me. I'd love to speak for everyone else at the Atlas, since I'm sure they severely appreciate your efforts as well, but that would be rude of me to do so. Regardless, keep going strong!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Cody » September 5th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Ropey Rampage is live!

I'm actually particularly fond of this level, and it took me quite a lot of time to get it right. TONS of experimenting, but the end result was hopefully worth it! I also really hope this video showcases how creative I intend to get with this hack.

As for full video footage, I really shouldn't spoil much more so soon, as much as it's tempting!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Qyzbud » September 5th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Ah, very nice indeed!

One aspect in particular was a highlight for me, as simple as it was (spoilered just in case):
Spoiler!
Seeing flying Neckies in a jungle setting. I know — not that big a deal, but it just felt right. :D

Another lovely design that hits the right marks for challenge, presentation and flow.

Keep it up! :thumbs:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cody » September 5th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Spoiler!
That's precisely why I did it - I figured they'd make for a pleasant surprise, especially in the way I used them (at first they provide more of an aesthetic purpose and gradually become more useful as the level progresses). I do that every so often in the hack. My all-time favorite example is probably Tree Top Town; as you can tell in the video clip, the level contains multiple pathways....but what you don't see is that not all of them are for you! During a barrel blast segment, there are some platforms actually quite a bit above you, and a lone Gnawty passes a Kritter on the bridge... it's actually pretty neat, and I couldn't be more satisfied with how DKCRE was able to bring my idea to life.

In general, my goal with every single level is to experiment with terrain/enemy/object combinations in ways the original trilogy didn't. I want to make a hack that I would love playing through for fun just as much as I'd play the original trilogy.

So far, and genuinely, I feel like I'm succeeding. I have over half of the game's levels finished* and I honestly wish this project would never end. Can't wait to do the water levels/Slipslide Ride & eventually DKC2 and DKC3. DKC hacking is EXTREMELY entertaining.

*does not include last-minute changes and touch-ups.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Cody » September 6th, 2014, 11:20 pm

This is Reptile Rumble. I figured that since these level clips are essentially spoilers, it wouldn't hurt. I think I might just upload videos of every level of the first three stages as time progresses.

All I can say is that out of all of the level archetypes out there, caves are some of the hardest to get right. Tile alignment is difficult enough, let alone ensuring the camera boundaries aren't off. Then you have to worry about making sure the level flows well with enemy/objects in the proper spots. It's really quite a task.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Cody » September 29th, 2014, 4:43 am

So due to a pile of unfortunancies (USB corruption being the main culprit), I lost most of my work. I've spent so much time on this hack it's unbelievable and now it's all gone. Fortunately I was able to locate a relatively substantial back-up of the hack (I'd tested the hack out on my Wii and left that particular version there) but everything from Orang-Utan Gang - end of the game = gone.

For the moment I'm putting this project on hold, quite possibly until the next edition of DKCRE is released. Sorry to everyone looking forward to it. I suppose I can upload post an .ips of my back-up, but I'd rather polish the levels first to ensure they're 100% bug-free. I'm just burnt out because I spent SO MUCH TIME on this hack, particularly with some of the more complex terrain layouts corresponding with my gameplay ideas.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Simion32 » September 29th, 2014, 4:44 am

The next version of DKCRE won't be that substantial in regards to DKC1 editing, and will take a long time to arrive, so you might want to reconsider that wait period. :P

Sorry to hear about your loss of progress. :facepalm:

EDIT: Try running Piriform Recuva on your USB flash drive, if it's not totally fried. You MIGHT be able to recover something. The more you mess with files the more likely they are to get deleted by overwrites from new files.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cody » September 29th, 2014, 5:55 am

It's definitely totally fried. Not only is it unrecognizable by any computers but it's beginning to get dangerously hot (enough so where I had to drop it reflexively when I ejected it). I'll try the program but I've just about given up hope.

In any case, thanks for the awesome DKC editor, Simion. I might not have my hack anymore, but the memories of making it will always be there.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Qyzbud » September 29th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Massive condolences, Cody... that's something that would really get to me. You're doing really well to not go completely insane, I think.

I suppose it really helps to remember that the process was rewarding and enjoyable, so even if progress is lost, the time spent wasn't wasted.

Also, this cautionary tale can serve as a reminder to all of us; never rely on a single device/data storage location to keep a project safe!

*Backs up all of the things*
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Scraps69 » October 4th, 2014, 12:19 am

Ah that's no good lad :(. Personally I've found that backing up your stuff through a cloud is the best way to make sure nothing gets lost!

Google virtually offers unlimited space for free, so why not just tap into that good old Google Drive?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Return to Post Mortuary