CD rom drive

Where dead topics hang out.

CD rom drive

Postby mamamami » April 20th, 2011, 6:22 pm

How can I load a program on a mini notebook computer if there is no CD rom drive? I am looking into a mini-notebook, and as I understand they will run any program, but I wonder how I can load a program on it that comes on a CD rom if there is no CD rom drive? Do I have to attach the CD Rom drive externally?

Re: CD rom drive

Postby Qyzbud » April 20th, 2011, 8:36 pm

An external CD ROM drive is certainly an option (probably a good idea if you think it'll come in handy), but there are other ways to install such software. There's a good chance the programs you'll want to install are available online - and that way you get the most up to date version - so downloading from the internet is a good alternative... but if that doesn't suit you for whatever reason, and you have another computer (with a CD drive) handy, you can make a 'CD image' (Wikipedia link) without too much fuss. This 'image' is a single file that contains all of the data found on the installation disc, and can be 'mounted' on another computer (your mini notebook) using a piece of image mounting software that emulates a CD drive.

You have plenty of options - I hope this helps. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to Post Mortuary