Donkey Kong Country Game Maker (With Download)

Where dead topics hang out.

Donkey Kong Country Game Maker (With Download)

Postby Markster » September 28th, 2010, 11:07 am

Latest Download : http://www.4shared.com/file/ZRFD5zgy/DKCGM_Demo_2.html

Older Versions

EDIT : This is no longer being worked on, sorry...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Re: Top Secret Project

Postby Simion32 » September 28th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Quite ambitious. But I must say you're not going to be able to go too far with Game Maker, at least not in the "hundreds of objects on screen" department. Trust me, I've already tried this in GM6 and even before 100 objects are onscreen the game will slow down.

Plus GM is an interpreted script game engine, which means half your processor time is wasted finding out what to do before even actually doing the operation. Game Maker is really best used as a learning tool, not for a serious project. (This is why the Delta Project is where it's at today - there is no way GM would ever be able to handle the DKCLB's absolutely massive feature list.)

Also in my opinion you need to have a way to deactivate off-screen objects or this won't get anywhere (since all objects in the level get processed by default, it will cause immense slowdown at some point).

Good luck, you'll need it. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Re: Donkey Kong Country Game Maker

Postby Markster » October 5th, 2010, 11:49 am

Wish me luck, because its going to take me months, but it will be done much much quicker than DKCLB.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Re: Donkey Kong Country Game Maker (With Download)

Postby Simion32 » October 8th, 2010, 2:18 pm

Serious Problem: DK will hop up and down if you hold down the jump key. Shouldn't be able to do that.

Also, his walk/run animation is just a bit too slow.

Also, please make a new post when you've updated with a new demo. Otherwise no one will notice!

EDIT: You know you can use the DKCRE v0.0.5.0 release for extracting sprite animations, right? [Warning though, extracting the sprite PNGs is slow and will take up at least 15MB so have some HDD space left, and be ready to wait.]
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » October 22nd, 2010, 1:32 am

I got like 160GB free in my hard drive, so i have plenty.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » November 6th, 2010, 1:21 pm

*UPDATE*

There is a new demo out! :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » December 29th, 2010, 11:25 am

My demo engine sucked, i am going to make a more accurate engine soon.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby VideoViking » December 30th, 2010, 5:11 pm

Please post the keyboard functions - I'm having a very hard time getting past the spikes (but I am impressed at seeing DK finally in a bramble level).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby PipKong » January 5th, 2011, 2:56 pm

@ VideoViking - 'c' is jump and 'space' is run.

@ Markster - I'm not very familiar with GameMaker. From your first post I gathered that this project is a level editor. Is this going to be a stand alone application, or will it be designed to run within GameMaker somehow?

Issues:

• Sometimes DK is stuck in his jumping sprite when you land without moving.
  • Sometimes when you jump while running DK is in his first idle sprite.
  • DK jumps the same height no matter how long you hold down the jump key.
  • Quite a few of the tiles are not lined up correctly.

Simion32 wrote:Also in my opinion you need to have a way to deactivate off-screen objects or this won't get anywhere (since all objects in the level get processed by default, it will cause immense slowdown at some point).

I was playing a custom DKC4 demo made with GameMaker at my cousins house. It is called "Donkey Kong Country 4 - The DK Bay" (The creator did a very good job with the controls). My cousins computer isn't a fast preforming one, yet I was still wondering why the game was lagging so badly. But when I entered the bonus levels, which were no less complicated than the main level, the game ran fine. What Simion wrote explains it, there were no off screen entities in the bonus levels for the game to unnecessarily 'display'. Simions suggestion is a must.
Tourist

Postby Simion32 » January 5th, 2011, 3:35 pm

PipKong wrote:I was playing a custom DKC4 demo made with GameMaker at my cousins house. It is called "Donkey Kong Country 4 - The DK Bay" (The creator did a very good job with the controls).
You know, there's a topic in this forum section (posted by the creator himself) for that very game. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby PipKong » January 6th, 2011, 3:37 am

Oh, thanks. I was directed to the download at the YoYoGames website by Google. I also saw the DKC4 thread before but I didn't make the connection until now. :P
Tourist

Postby A7Penn » January 6th, 2011, 4:39 am

PipKong wrote:I was playing a custom DKC4 demo made with GameMaker at my cousins house. It is called "Donkey Kong Country 4 - The DK Bay" (The creator did a very good job with the controls). My cousins computer isn't a fast preforming one, yet I was still wondering why the game was lagging so badly. But when I entered the bonus levels, which were no less complicated than the main level, the game ran fine. What Simion wrote explains it, there were no off screen entities in the bonus levels for the game to unnecessarily 'display'. Simions suggestion is a must.

Its true. If you use game maker, use deactivating or it WILL lag. Do it to begin with before there is too much to change. I have gotten to the point where I must split up a level into 2 rooms in order for it to run faster. It may not look as good but its neccessary due to lag.
Tourist

Postby CliveKoopa » January 21st, 2011, 6:35 am

Does this work with DKC2 and 3 or is it just for the first one?
Newcomer

Postby Markster » March 5th, 2011, 1:40 pm

CliveKoopa wrote:Does this work with DKC2 and 3 or is it just for the first one?

The first one, but there will be stuff from DKC2 and 3.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » April 28th, 2011, 1:33 am

Donkey Kong Country Game Maker has been CANCELED, there is already a good level editor being made, and thats Simion32's DKC Level Builder, sorry...

Simion32 says: Okeydokey, locked the thread since topic is now useless.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Return to Post Mortuary