Japanese DKC Hackers

Share and discuss all facets of DKC ROM hacking...

Japanese DKC Hackers

Postby The Guy » October 6th, 2009, 9:14 am

I love their crazy hacks. Espicially this one hacker named Prgmdest. He's hacked World 1-1 through World 3-1 of DKC, and is already on level two of world two on his hack of DKC2. Pretty much, that was made today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aoVdIHh ... annel_page
Veteran Venturer

Re: Japanese DKC Hackers

Postby Simion32 » October 7th, 2009, 1:10 am

Where's the DK2Edit, now, I wonder? Hmm.... ;)

I haven't really been keeping tabs on this because I've been a bit busy.

Check DKCRE thread for a critical update on the program's progress.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » October 12th, 2009, 2:35 pm

That example you linked to was one of the most unimpressive hacking and gameplay videos I've ever seen. :lol: It's kind of interesting as a proof-of-concept, but apart from that... *shrug*. Not to sound overly negative, but that hack really didn't seem to have anything going for it. Are there any others that are more worth taking a look at?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Donkey King » October 13th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Hey! I just got the Super Donkey Kong 2 Editor from that guy who uploaded that video! It's sorta hard to use, harder than DKEdit. I'll upload it here soon.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Simion32 » October 14th, 2009, 1:12 am

I have a feeling that the reason it's harder, and also the reason the levels looked not-so-good, was because this program is editing the compressed level structure. Thus you would have a more limited variety of tile "sections" to work with.

Although I'm just a tad bit jealous, I'll throw that feeling out the window before it gets shoved in my face. I'm ready for comparing this to my own upcoming editor GUI to see what "features" I should try to avoid. Once I have the rest of the GUI functioning, progress should take off... hopefully. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » October 14th, 2009, 10:31 pm

Okay... any indication as to how to use the tool? Do you edit the levels with "Platinum" and then run the sdk2_map program?
(the readme.txt does a whole lot when my system does not have support for Japanese characters installed...)

I'm guessing but does their editor only modify the sprites, while Platinum is used to modify the level layouts?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Donkey King » October 15th, 2009, 8:32 am

Simion32 wrote:Okay... any indication as to how to use the tool? Do you edit the levels with "Platinum" and then run the sdk2_map program?
(the readme.txt does a whole lot when my system does not have support for Japanese characters installed...)

I'm guessing but does their editor only modify the sprites, while Platinum is used to modify the level layouts?

Yes.

Yes.
Trainee Trekker

Return to ROM Hacking