Japanese DKC ROM Editor

Share and discuss all facets of DKC ROM hacking...

Re: Japanese DKC Editor

Postby Simion32 » July 1st, 2008, 9:11 am

AH HA!! So this is what those Japanese have been using to edit DKC... very interesting indeed. I'll try to figure out how this thing works... beings everything is in Japanese. I can't make any sense of the source code yet either.

Also, I assume this will need a Japanese DKC ROM to work.

Very nice discovery eladriano!

The DKC Level Builder is still not canceled because of this, nor is my own ROM editor. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby eladriano » July 1st, 2008, 9:14 am

Simion32 wrote:The DKC Level Builder is still not canceled because of this, nor is my own ROM editor. ;)

Excellent, I'm super excited for DKCLB! :D
Newcomer

Postby Simion32 » July 1st, 2008, 9:20 am

This does remind me though, that when I make my ROM editor I will have to support Japanese ROM versions... :x

I wonder if that "Death on collection of K" is a feature of the editor?

I simply must take some time off of hacking to give this a try! :mrgreen:

EDIT: This thing is **** impossible to operate because all of the text appears as ?'s. :evil:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » July 1st, 2008, 9:39 am

This looks soooooo awesome, but it's in japanese and I can't read it.

Still gonna try it. :P
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » July 1st, 2008, 9:52 am

The Kremling button loads a level... It would be much easier if I could read it. I suppose you could use Gain's documents as a reference for that.

Also, I notice that it displays everything by using external graphics. The equivalent of tile set extractions would be in the data folder. The whole bank of tiles is duplicated with flipped versions. The flipped parts are a bad (but functional) use of images if you ask me.

Looking at the file size (Yikes those BMP's take up way to much memory), I have decided to have my editor just display everything on the fly, with nothing but the editor required.

It's amazing the kind of stuff that goes on in Japan, that we don't find out about it until it's practically plastered all over the internet. :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jomingo » July 1st, 2008, 9:53 am

We usually discourage people from advertising other forums, but this I will make an exception because Simion seems so excited about it. :D

Qyz says: Uh, there was absolutely nothing wrong with linking like that, Jomingo. Besides, he was pointing out a very useful DKC tool, not advertising another forum. Seemed very clear to me...

Jomingo Says: Little late to respond to this post, eh? Yeah, looking back I see it wasn't really advertising at all. Sorry, won't happen again.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » July 1st, 2008, 9:56 am

Jomingo wrote:We usually discourage people from advertising other forums, but this I will make an exception because Simion seems so excited about it. :D
Thank you for the exception, Jomingo. (I don't consider it advertising anyway.)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jomingo » July 1st, 2008, 10:00 am

Well, I'm not sure exactly what our policy is, since I never addressed it in the rules, but since this is not that much like advertising I let it go. Not like that Robot Rage thing, which was advertising plain and obvious.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby eladriano » July 1st, 2008, 10:01 am

Jomingo wrote:We usually discourage people from advertising other forums, but this I will make an exception because Simion seems so excited about it.

I never intended it to be advertising, I don't even have an account there :lol: By all means remove the link. I don't care ;)
Newcomer

Postby Kiddy14 » July 1st, 2008, 10:15 am

This is awesome. I can see it's kinda obvious since DKC is really popular in Japan.
I suspect there must be some kind of "English version", or at least a tutorial...
Maybe you can use the program's code as help for the LB Simion :D
Spoiler!
eladriano wrote:I saw this on some other forums today. Check it out: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=thread&id=8740

Jomingo wrote:We usually discourage people from advertising other forums, but this I will make an exception because Simion seems so excited about it. :D

He wasn't advertising, he just said he read about a program in other forums and posted a link to the program, and the forums to where he read it. I would consider advertising: "Hey guys, I found this site, is awesome! And I found this... blah blah". Besides, if Qyzbud likes DKC Atlas to be advertised, why other forums can't in DKC Atlas'? :?:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » July 1st, 2008, 10:25 am

Kiddy14 wrote:Maybe you can use the program's code as help for the LB Simion
Nah, especially since even though the code is commented the comments are in Japanese as well. XD I'd have no idea what the heck all the code meant.

I'm better of just using my own code, since I understand how it all works. I mean, I did the resource extractor, so I've done everything graphical that this editor has. Except that the resource editor cannot yet actually edit sprites, bananas, tiles and the like.

It's really just a matter of understanding how everything works. Once you understand the game (and the SNES of course), it's not difficult to make an editor at all. But it is time-consuming. ;)

You could possibly make a translation, since the source code is provided.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » July 1st, 2008, 12:02 pm

Haha, nice one.

The boundaries on the tiles are hard to match up, it would take a considerable amount of time to hack a full level. :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cyclone » July 1st, 2008, 12:42 pm

Finally a DKC level editor… but I’m still looking forward to Simion’s resource editor. It will also to support DKC2 + 3 right? :D

Here is the site to the Jap DKC editor. There are a bunch of other DKC tools on there to.
http://mudlava90.hp.infoseek.co.jp/dk/
http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... l=ja&tl=en

Translated faq
http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... l=ja&tl=en

I tried a few of the tools. Some actually worked with the Donkey Kong Country (U) (V1.0) [!].smc rom.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » July 1st, 2008, 1:17 pm

I see that the author(s) of the tool used Gain's documents.

Heh, trying to read that Google-Translated Japanese is really hard. You just barely get the general idea of what is being said... :?

I'm checking out the other tools/hacks now. Interesting, they're trying to make one for DKC2 as well...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cosmicman » July 1st, 2008, 3:13 pm

Great find, the editor looked great as far as I could get by just clicking random stuff, too bad I don't speak Japanese. :cry:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby BlueTronic » July 1st, 2008, 3:30 pm

I finally figured out how to change an object into a different object.

Spoiler!
I turned a banana bunch into Dumb Drum, and when I got it, It gave me bananas, but it never stopped! :lol: It just kept giving me more and more bananas! XD
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Raccoon Sam » July 1st, 2008, 4:44 pm

:?: What was this all about? Elitism?

Either way, it's a cool editor. Tried it out and works wonders.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Simion32 » July 2nd, 2008, 12:10 am

Yeah, this is an overall great editor by the looks of it. I wish I could find a way to translate a .txt file to English, because a lot of the text is stored in those .ini files and the C++ files. If only I could find a way to translate & clean those up.

My only gripe other than language is that you have to manually match up the tiles.

I noticed that the application is last dated May 11th. So all of this went on while I had been dealing with errors trying to get the Windows GUI to work in both DELTA and DKCRE. :roll:
Spoiler!
Judging by how fast this editor came out of the woodwork, I'd say that both of the DKCLB projects are going way too slow. I think it is about time I kick it up a notch and quit messing around. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Goe » July 2nd, 2008, 4:48 am

i downloaded it and i haven't got any idea about how to use. To be sincere, i don't understand how could Kong-Fu edit the game

In any case, using that tool would be great, but i think the level builder would be better
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » July 2nd, 2008, 6:04 am

Well, here's everything I know:

It's easy to use the tile editor: just click the piece of ground at the top to open the tile list, click the tile you want, and click anywhere in the level to place the selected tile there.

Click the Kritter head to load a level and match the 2 hexadecimals at the beginning of each item in the list with the hexadecimals at the beginning of the Level Modifier to see what each level is.

Red squares are objects and The 4 hexadecimals inside them tell you what object it is. Look up the object in a sprite list and click the Gnawty to open the level's list of objects. The 4 hexes after the "-" of each item says what the object currently is. In the text box that says "0x(then the object's hex)": change it to the hex of a different object. To change position, edit the "X??" and "Y??" coordinates. Click the "??(U)" button to apply changes

Note: The Jungle Hijinx level that opens up when you load the ROM has Reptile Rumble's object map: No changes will take place if you edit it (At least not in Jungle Hijinx :roll:).
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Cyclone » July 2nd, 2008, 8:36 am

Simion32 wrote:My only gripe other than language is that you have to manually match up the tiles.

Yea it makes this editor very time consuming to use. How are you going to solve this in your editor? Make tile 'elements' or 'macros' ? Even with that it seems like it would still be tricky to align the elements together. By elements I mean platforms, trees, paths etc.

I also wish this editor would allow you to move objects with your mouse rather then type in x/y values and it seems your limited to the objects and tiles that are already in the level? I also don't see a banana editor.

Simion32 wrote:Judging by how fast this editor came out of the woodwork, I'd say that both of the DKCLB projects are going way too slow. I think it is about time I kick it up a notch and quit messing around. ;)

hehe do I sense some freindly competition going on between the two editors? ;)

by the way I would be willing to give up a few minutes of my time each week to help speed things up if you want. Maybe you could put together a list of things that need to be done and the DKC community could help you out?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » July 2nd, 2008, 12:13 pm

Cyclone wrote:How are you going to solve this in your editor? Make tile 'elements' or 'macros' ? Even with that it seems like it would still be tricky to align the elements together.
Yeah, that's how I plan to solve that problem. However, I'm unaware as to how willing CFH will be to implement it in the level builder.
Cyclone wrote:hehe do I sense some freindly competition going on between the two editors? ;)
Yeah, I'm a bit competitive. But I'll keep my cool, because I'm doing a ROM editor as well as DELTA, which I think is on a much larger scale than a ROM-only editor. DELTA is basically the effect of porting all 3 games into something that works on Windows and stripping it of all copyrighted data.

No thanks, I don't need any help (yet).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jomingo » July 2nd, 2008, 12:40 pm

I understand, this is your project and you want to do it, but if you ever want help from this community do not be afraid to ask. I'm sure everybody would do what they can to speed it up.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » July 4th, 2008, 8:50 am

Donkey Kong shot a Klaptrap tremite gun on K. Rool's ship while he wasn't looking and removed a section of the ship! :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby DKCplayer » July 4th, 2008, 1:20 pm

*Notices topic and download link*
This I gotta try... Japanese or not, I'm gonna try to make at least ONE LEVEL!! :D :!:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby cfh » July 5th, 2008, 3:16 am

Oh my, everything always happens when I'm gone.

This is awesome. I got the crazy idea that we could have Jeremy from Smashed Update post on the forum and ask for an English translation... maybe we could do that!

While this is a great editor, the Level Builder is very different. Since it will not be an editor for the ROM but an engine imitating it, it will be much easier to use, user friendly, and more flexible.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » July 5th, 2008, 4:45 am

This editor, even though I've learned how edit the game with it, is anything but easy to use. I was thinking of the Level Builder to be a little more PC Game-ish, more like the Age of Empires Scenario Builder than a simple ROM Editor.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby DKCplayer » July 5th, 2008, 6:46 pm

:shock: Uh... on this site:
http://mudlava90.hp.infoseek.co.jp/dk/
After the bunch of link of FAQ's there are IPS patches! Including what I suspect is the Fear of K hack!
THAT'S WHERE THEY GET EM! :D :D
I can't believe I didn't notice that!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Simion32 » July 5th, 2008, 7:05 pm

DKCplayer wrote:After the bunch of link of FAQ's there are IPS patches!
I've tried them, one is the Fear of K hack, one patches only the K death effect (not any levels or anything else) and then there's another patch which is a normal test hack. There's a DKC2 patch as well.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » July 6th, 2008, 5:19 am

I already knew about that site. It's what I used as reference to make the Resource Editor able to extract graphics from the ROM.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cody » August 4th, 2008, 6:50 am

In the editor, how do you move/delete single bananas?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Simion32 » August 4th, 2008, 7:05 am

You can't, I'm afraid. The bananas are made up of groups. You can only change the groups of bananas to another group or move them around.

I don't know how to move the bananas in the editor anyway. I haven't tried to edit them with this tool, I've only done it via hex editing so far.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » August 4th, 2008, 8:08 am

Cody wrote:In the editor, how do you move/delete single bananas?

You can move them, but you can't delete them.

1. Click the banana button at the top of the screen to open the banana editor.
2. Use the "X??" and "Y??" feild to edit where the bananas appear.

I don't edit the bannas, I just leave them like they are. But I imagine it would be very hard trying to get them where you want. You can't see them in Dkedit , so you'll have to look at them on an emulator after you edit them just to see where you put them.

@Simion: I think in DKedit you can change what group a banana is in. In the banana editor, the "??" field is that single banana's group number. Maybe you can edit the groups and move single bananas that way.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Re: Japanese DKC ROM Editor

Postby Ribo Zurai » August 11th, 2008, 10:13 am

It´s too hard too use:

1. The level have to be made TILE BY TILE, it takes a loooooong time to make a level in the size of the original used level.
2. You must place the X and Y position manually, in many editors you can place it in the screen and move it with the mouse.
3. WHAT SPRITE IS I PLACING HERE?!? O.o
4. Quite hard to understant all the "?????"...

New versions are going to be released, the link below is for the 2nd version of the editor.

http://mudlava90.hp.infoseek.co.jp/dk/dkEdit02.zip
Newcomer

Postby Raccoon Sam » August 11th, 2008, 3:09 pm

Ribo Zurai wrote:1. The level have to be made TILE BY TILE, it takes a loooooong time to make a level in the size of the original used level.

Would you rather edit the levels with a Hex editor, byte by byte?
Ribo Zurai wrote:4. Quite hard to understant all the "?????"...

That's a problem on your end. Try to enable Japanese encoding.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Gabriel » August 12th, 2008, 8:34 am

I am currently making a rom editor (~%80 done ) which is a little easier to use. Objects and bananas can be moved with the mouse, but to change them, you have to type in the object short. As for tile editing, there is no easy way to do it. I would suggest that the first level you change be something like Winky's Walkway, or Oil Drumb Ally. Jungle levels have the largest tileset in the game, (585 tiles), so they are very hard to use.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby asmodeus » October 4th, 2008, 11:36 am

That Editor is very cool!

The c++ source is included, so I would like to translate some things from japanense into english, those words, where I can guess what it means (e.g. 'open', 'save' or 'exit').
There is only one problem for me: I need to have the header file "vcl.h", does anybody know where I can get it?
Trainee Trekker

Postby BlueTronic » October 4th, 2008, 11:57 am

Someone else from Youtube told me they were translating it, too.

EDIT: Also, Dkedit version 0.03 is out.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby asmodeus » October 4th, 2008, 11:13 pm

Kong-Fu wrote:EDIT: Also, Dkedit version 0.03 is out.

I already have the latest version :P

I'm currently trying to understand the camera thing, but it's quite difficult...

And anyhow I can't open the water and ice cave levels anylonger. That was already before I downloaded version 0.03, so it's not because of that.
I could that before, but anything happened so that I can't it now... with any rom (E, U, or J version) :cry:
I just have a blank space, where I can only scroll...
Does that happened to anybody else, too?
Trainee Trekker

Postby BlueTronic » October 4th, 2008, 11:33 pm

Yeah.

Dkedit probably can't open it because the levels are too big.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby asmodeus » October 4th, 2008, 11:39 pm

Kong-Fu wrote:Yeah.

Dkedit probably can't open it because the levels are too big.

I think I was able to open them before...
Trainee Trekker

Postby asmodeus » October 5th, 2008, 12:43 am

All levels and some sprites are translated into english!
Download the attached zip file and copy the included ini them into the Data folder of DK Edit, overwrite the japanense files.
Attachments
english.zip
offsets.ini and sprite.ini
(10.14 KiB) Downloaded 740 times
Trainee Trekker

Postby asmodeus » October 5th, 2008, 1:16 am

Kong-Fu wrote:Dkedit probably can't open it because the levels are too big.

Ha! I CAN view the ice cave levels(or at least the maps only)!
Open on the panel ????(S) -> ???????(C) or press F12, and there appears a window:
Set FG to "8D66:..." to see the ice cave levels and bonuses! You can also set FG to something for water, but there is still the same problem.
Trainee Trekker

Postby BlueTronic » October 5th, 2008, 3:03 am

asmodeus wrote:All levels and some sprites are translated into english!
Download the attached zip file and copy the included ini them into the Data folder of DK Edit, overwrite the japanense files.

I didn't think it was that easy. :?

I looked at some of the hexes in the sprite file and put them into the game, and I found a hex for Expresso with no crate. :mrgreen:

...by the way, when is a golden Kritter ever used in the game? :|
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby asmodeus » October 5th, 2008, 3:08 am

Kong-Fu wrote:I didn't think it was that easy. :?

Each level and sprite has got its own number, I have looked them up. It wasn't really difficult.

Kong-Fu wrote:...by the way, when is a golden Kritter ever used in the game? :|

I have tried to place the golden Kritter in a level, but instead of him there was nothing.
I've completed DKC 101%, and I haven't seen a golden Kritter anywhere.
Trainee Trekker

Postby BlueTronic » October 5th, 2008, 3:14 am

asmodeus wrote:Each level and sprite has got its own number, I have looked them up. It wasn't really difficult.

I meant I didn't think you could change the names just by editing the sprite file.

I have tried to place the golden Kritter in a level, but instead of him there was nothing.
I've completed DKC 101%, and I haven't seen a golden Kritter anywhere.

Try putting 9B7F in A level.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Next

Return to ROM Hacking