DKC Text Attributes

Share and discuss all facets of DKC ROM hacking...

DKC Text Attributes

Postby Cyclone » February 27th, 2022, 3:51 pm

Good Day. I am working on a Dialog editor for Donkey Kong Country, Its working good so far but I have a few questions.

1. Speed of text blocks before they switch to the next one.
2. The position of the text on screen
3. Colour of text?

4. How do you add additional text blocks and/ Additional lines of text beyond the default 3 lines.

Thanks in advance.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Re: DKC Text Attributes

Postby rainbowsprinklez » February 28th, 2022, 12:51 am

if I recall correctly, the features you describe are not trivial. The easiest might be color. It's been quite a bit since I researched text though.

Cyclone wrote:1. Speed of text blocks before they switch to the next one.

There are two separate speed values. One if you press a button and one if you don't.

Cyclone wrote:2. The position of the text on screen

if I recall correctly that is hard-coded. Still possible to edit though.

Cyclone wrote:3. Colour of text?

if I recall correctly, text uses palette 0 in this.

Cyclone wrote:4. How do you add additional text blocks and/ Additional lines of text beyond the default 3 lines.

That is a bit tricky. You can add more lines, but the game doesn't like more than 4. You can edit this by editing the text blocks I think in bank $FC. There is a terminating character, 0, that tells the game to stop reading more lines. Also, dkc1 uses sprites for text. That means there's a low cap for the amount of text characters on screen at once. 2/3 avoid this by using bg(2?).

CONCLUSION
All your features are very possible, but not trivial and makes things easy to break.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Return to ROM Hacking