Geiger's Snes debugger won't run on Windows 10

Share and discuss all facets of DKC ROM hacking...

Geiger's Snes debugger won't run on Windows 10

Postby Cyclone » February 18th, 2022, 4:13 pm

snes9x1.51.ep10r2

This won't run anymore after upgrading to Windows 10...

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect...."

Help Appreciated. Thanks.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Re: Geiger's Snes debugger won't run on Windows 10

Postby Kingizor » February 19th, 2022, 7:25 am

The page for it on rhdn has this note:

Note: If GSD refuses to run, and posts a side-by-side or application “configuration” error, the system can’t find DLLs it needs to run the program. Install the redistributable linked in the release notes.

The readme links to a file on Geiger's site, but his site doesn't seem to be online at the moment. The file you'll need should be on this page here though. Click "Download", then choose "vcredist_x86.exe". They certainly don't make it easy to find these things, but that should hopefully be enough to get it working.

There are also a few other good debuggers available now. bsnes-plus is quite nice, and Mesen-S has a lot of features. There is also NO$SNS which I always liked for things involving graphics.

We're spoiled for choice nowadays! :dixie-tf:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Cyclone » February 19th, 2022, 9:56 am

Thanks Kingizor. I tried that already. Didn't solve the problem.

I am playing around with Mesen-S. Is it any good. does it have problems? It won't display high bits correctly in the Memory viewer. They show up as "."
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Kingizor » February 20th, 2022, 4:01 am

I am not aware of Mesen-S having any considerable problems, but I haven't used it much myself. It might be good to try a few different debuggers. They'll all have different strengths and it wouldn't hurt to get a bit more familiar with some of the different tools.

I had a glance at that memory viewer and it seems fairly normal. On the left you have a typical hex view with each byte being represented as 00-FF. Then the text viewer on the right shows the equivalent ASCII text representation of each byte. Any byte value that doesn't have a valid ASCII representation, which is to say any value from 00..1F or 7F..FF, will get shown as a "." there instead.

There are many different ways to encode text, but ASCII is one of the simplest and most common we would encounter. Some fancy hex viewers or editors will support different encodings which can be useful for specific purposes, but that's not something we would need any time soon.

I was able to reproduce the issue with Geiger's Snes9x on a Windows 7 install, but installing that redistributable was all it took to get it working. Maybe Win10 requires something else, I'm not sure. :huh:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby rainbowsprinklez » February 20th, 2022, 9:35 am

I honestly didn't have that issue on any of my recent pc changes... I think that's because I'm a programmer and already have the necessary configs installed because of Visual Studio :geek:
Kingizor, I use Win 10, so no :P
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby Cyclone » February 20th, 2022, 6:00 pm

I have Visual studio installed as well.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby rainbowsprinklez » February 20th, 2022, 11:31 pm

Hmmm... not sure then. I had the same problem years ago and solved it by reading the documentation and installing the right stuff. Have you read the associated help files?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby rainbowsprinklez » February 22nd, 2022, 1:05 am

If all else fails, I emailed the creator a few years ago and he got back to me! I was legit impressed
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Return to ROM Hacking