DKCRE is amazing

Share and discuss all facets of DKC ROM hacking...

DKCRE is amazing

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 26th, 2020, 3:24 am

Yes, I had trouble with DKCRE in the past. It randomly became mostly responsive, so I assume it was a compatibility issue on Microsoft's end. Meanwhile, I've been working on my own stuff, which includes the custom objects seen in this video.

Thanks to DKCRE, I can use all my custom objects!

Many thanks, Simion, and I apologize for not giving you the credit you deserve for making this in the past. The compatibility issue wasn't your fault!

50% speed because I'm a pleb
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Re: DKCRE is amazing

Postby Cody » February 23rd, 2021, 3:08 am

Nice!

I too love DKCRE and I know for sure I would've already made a full-blown hack as early as 2014, but sadly I keep having this glitch when I select terrain and try to paste it. It doesn't matter which computer I use (I've tried about 3 or 4 throughout the years):

It happens about 80% of the time and requires trial & error clicking to get it to stop. Does that ever happen to you? If needed I can record a video.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Simion32 » February 27th, 2021, 11:02 am

I'm not sure I understand what's going on here. A video would be awesome to show the bug in action.

Is it like, you select some tiles and then try to paste some that you already copied?

I won't be able to fix anything until NitroGUI v3.0 has been implemented and I'm in a position to update DKCRE.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby rainbowsprinklez » March 13th, 2021, 4:33 am

Cody wrote:It happens about 80% of the time and requires trial & error clicking to get it to stop. Does that ever happen to you? If needed I can record a video.

Yes, I find DKCRE to be hella non-responsive, but others don't? I've had that happen. An easy workaround for general unresponsiveness I found, is changing focus i.e. keep notepad open, and if you find DKCRE being buggy, go to notepad, click it, then maximize DKCRE again. I use that method for cut and paste all the time. Without using that method I've had to at least press ctrl+x 40 times. With it, I usually press 3-5 times.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby VideoViking » March 13th, 2021, 7:08 am

What version of Windows are you using?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby rainbowsprinklez » March 17th, 2021, 4:23 am

10, but I had this issue on 8 too. All my friends had similar issues

***EDIT***
I also tried running on all compatibility modes.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby Cody » March 29th, 2023, 6:01 pm

Simion32 wrote:I'm not sure I understand what's going on here. A video would be awesome to show the bug in action.

Is it like, you select some tiles and then try to paste some that you already copied?

I won't be able to fix anything until NitroGUI v3.0 has been implemented and I'm in a position to update DKCRE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T8WBoTNwjI

Here's a video. I apologize for the delay. I grab terrain I want to copy, and I try to paste it. But instead of pasting it, it lets me grab other tiles that are irrelevant. At one point I pasted about 5 different selections at once. Hopefully this video helps explain. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong personally; I've made entire levels constructed of pasting terrain before, unless I am missing something indeed.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Return to ROM Hacking