DKC Trilogy True 16:9 Widescreen

Share and discuss all facets of DKC ROM hacking...

DKC Trilogy True 16:9 Widescreen

Postby Cosmicman » September 29th, 2020, 5:08 am

I recently found out about the BSnesHD and its widescreen options so decided to try it with the DKC trilogy, it didn't work as it should, widescreen area graphics pop in and out, but it gave me a preview of what it could look like if done properly and is amazing, imagine been able to see about 40% more of the stage at all times and enemies in the distance, I would love if someone could try to get this to work properly in the future, I don't know anything about rom hacking but is it really that hard to get this to work? I see someone already did it with Super Mario World and is almost perfect.

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Re: DKC Trilogy True 16:9 Widescreen

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 6th, 2022, 2:40 am

It would take extra effort but not impossible. I was planning to make a DKC4 Fangame and I was considering using DKCRE since DKCLB doesn’t seem to be coming out anytime soon. When DKCRE comes out with the new features ability to edit vertical levels and the ability to incorporate the whole trilogy’s sprites for one rom I’ll do it. But your idea would be a good one for it. What you would have to do is easy to do, you have to change the camera angles to 40% longer, there will be some exceptions, but that is mainly what you would do. I might not use DKCRE and instead program it from C++ and use the DELTA game engine but that would take a very long time so with the new features I might use DKCRE. I do need help with that project though and if you wanted to help that would be great! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby rainbowsprinklez » October 7th, 2022, 4:57 am

I don't know anything about rom hacking but is it really that hard to get this to work?

Pretty hard, but I might be overcomplicating it. There are A LOT of little things to do, at least from a DKC1 perspective. if I recall correctly, the objects that spawned are hard-coded. Also, vram management could be tricky. Because the screen is larger and sprites must be drawn longer, there is always a chance that things aren't spawned because too much exists.
Also, idk but I think tilemaps are hard-coded to 256px wide, but that might be the easier of the evils.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 7th, 2022, 5:10 am

I forgot about hard coded spawns! I’m have decided that I am going to start making a rom hack that is specifically just widescreen! I am updating my profile to include that in my projects. This topic was a great idea! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Return to ROM Hacking