Big Data (de)compressor for DKC2/DKC3

Share and discuss all facets of DKC ROM hacking...

Big Data (de)compressor for DKC2/DKC3

Postby Kingizor » July 18th, 2020, 11:51 am

I've written a new compressor and decompressor for the big data segments in DKC2 and DKC3. I've packaged it as a library, but I've also included standalone command line utilities too.

These might not be too useful on their own, but it might make it a bit easier to do other things. The general process for editing would be:

1) Decompress tileset/tilemap/metatiles
2) Convert the raw data to a format that can be edited
3) Edit data
4) Convert the edited data back to the original format
5) Compress the data and hope it fits

Source is included and license is MIT if anyone is bothered about that sort of thing. If anyone wanted to use it to build an editor or some other tool or utility, then great.

There were a more few things I wanted to try in an attempt to improve the compression ratio, but I'm a but worn out from working on it and suddenly a bit busy too. If I hold off releasing it it might end up never getting released, so here it is.

(bd_comp is deprecated, please use dkcomp for better compression ratios!)
Attachments
bd_comp-bin.zip
(17.52 KiB) Downloaded 761 times
bd_comp-src.zip
(10.92 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Re: Big Data (de)compressor for DKC2/DKC3

Postby rainbowsprinklez » July 19th, 2020, 2:04 pm

Man! You always do GREAT things :D. I'm too focused on dkc1 to dick around on that, but I'll def keep that in mind! Or, you knowm you can remind me when I inevitably forget :D
In fact, I plan on releasing a dkc1 tool shortly :)
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Re: (De)compression utilities for DKC series

Postby Kingizor » October 8th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Small data this time. This is an encoder and decoder for DKC3's tilemap format. It's a bit tricky the way it packs bits, but there is no variable compression going on like with the other schemes.

I was hoping to have a title screen hack or something but that turned out to be more of a headache than I was expecting.

(sd_comp is deprecated, please use dkcomp for better compression ratios!)
Attachments
sd_comp-src.zip
(7.41 KiB) Downloaded 675 times
sd_comp-bin.zip
(12.95 KiB) Downloaded 679 times
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Re: Big Data (de)compressor for DKC2/DKC3

Postby Kingizor » September 16th, 2022, 2:51 am

The versions in this thread are now obsolete. The big data format is now available with improved compression ratios along with other new and exciting formats, see here for more thrilling details!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Return to ROM Hacking