Odd behaviours discovered while hacking

Share and discuss all facets of DKC ROM hacking...

Odd behaviours discovered while hacking

Postby mitja » December 27th, 2015, 11:11 pm

This is about DKC2.

So first of all I found a bug/glitch where Cat O' 9 Tails makes you unable to finish the level. http://youtu.be/wZV5Ut1Wvrg
Second of all I found a way to destroy red zingers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0L_1Mi7dio
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Re: Odd behaviours discovered while hacking

Postby Mattrizzle » December 28th, 2015, 1:15 am

The first glitch is due to the way the end of level target is coded. It doesn't disable collision with objects, since the prizes need to remain collectible. The same bug can happen if a Barrel Cannon is placed too close to the target--the Kongs will bounce up into the Barrel Cannon, interrupting the end of level sequence, and the target won't work anymore since it was already hit once. I discovered this while working on Donkey's Kong Quest, as Donkey Kong's hitbox is larger than Diddy or Dixie's.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby mitja » December 28th, 2015, 2:48 am

What about the red zinger one? You don't seem in interesed in that one...
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » December 30th, 2015, 9:40 am

I'm personally quite interested in knowing what it is about Krow's eggs that makes red Zingers vulnerable.

In your video it looks like the Zinger simply disappears when hit with the egg, rather than changing animation and falling off-screen. Have you tried hitting other baddies with eggs? I'm wondering what the disappearance is tied to; red Zingers, anything hit by Krow's eggs, or another factor entirely... :scratch:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » December 30th, 2015, 11:22 am

That's just video record lag, I think.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby mitja » December 30th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Qyzbud wrote:I'm personally quite interested in knowing what it is about Krow's eggs that makes red Zingers vulnerable.

In your video it looks like the Zinger simply disappears when hit with the egg, rather than changing animation and falling off-screen. Have you tried hitting other baddies with eggs? I'm wondering what the disappearance is tied to; red Zingers, anything hit by Krow's eggs, or another factor entirely... :scratch:

Yes I will try that.

Simion32 wrote:That's just video record lag, I think.

It's not lag my ZSNESW doesn't lag.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

How powerful krows eggs really are.

Postby mitja » December 31st, 2015, 5:24 am

Here is a video of me testing krows eggs on different enemies since some of you guys suggested it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQG76Yl5WzQ
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Behaviors of Very Gnawty in Jungle Hijinx

Postby OneOf99 » December 31st, 2015, 7:18 am

So I used DKCRE to replace the first gnawty in the game to Very Gnawty (the boss). I decided to fool around with the game, and discovered some very interesting things... :banana:

Note: I will refer to both DK and Diddy since nothing is changed by who does what. Also, I will refer to Very Gnawty as VG because I don't feel like typing that over and over again.

The first thing I noticed was that a DK barrel appears at exactly DK's height when you approach VG. I would guess that this is because the barrel spawn is scripted together with the VG's spawn, therefore it appears at the exact same time. I would assume this is correct for the other bosses too.

Second, I found that VG does not move, instead he does his jump animation in place. If DK jumps on him, he will bounce as if off of an enemy. This allows for the accumulation of "infinite" lives, so to speak. This is significantly different from the actual boss fight, since there VG will knock DK off when he jumps on him. Rolling into VG bounces you back as if it were rolling into an Army. However, walking/running into VG hurts you, as his hitbox is still active. If you throw a barrel at VG, it doesn't seem to hurt him but he does face the direction it hit him from. If you ride a steel barrel into him, he will be moved a small distance but remain alive.

While testing all of this I found that the camera seems to swerve in his direction, no matter what distance you are from him. You can even finish the level, but the camera will always be showing the left side of DK. Of course, the camera does swerve to the right when to the left of VG, but it is not as noticeable or obstructive because of the small distance there exists for this effect.

If you enter any bonus or the Kong Banana Hoard and exit, VG will be moving! He will be doing very small jumps (phase 1 of the boss battle) but is still invulnerable to your jumps and barrels.

I decided to document this because of the odd nature of his behaviors when not in his natural habitat. If this should go into the DKCRE topic, then a mod will probably move it, but I put it here since it was technically a "Rom Hack". Ok so it was moved :lol:

:very-gnawty-laugh:

Edit: I have attached the ips patch (cause Roms aren't allowed, yes I actually read the rules). The stuff later in the level was for random playing around
Attachments
Very Gnawty.ips
Oh no! Very Gnawty is on the loose and.. not doing anything in Jungle Hijinx! Run for your lives!!!
(623 Bytes) Downloaded 1174 times
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Re: Behaviors of Very Gnawty in Jungle Hijinx

Postby mitja » December 31st, 2015, 7:31 pm

**Quote removed by moderator**

Yes I tested that already and know those things Very Gnawty also behaves like himself in DK Treehouse but he will go off-screen I don't know why it doesn't work in normal level also in DKC2 the bosses also do not work in normal levels.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby OneOf99 » January 1st, 2016, 1:12 am

Actually the post wasn't directed towards you, but I think a mod put my post here because of the topic title... :scratch:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby OneOf99 » January 4th, 2016, 2:56 am

Very interesting stuff! However I have a few questions:

1. Did you try breaking eggs with other eggs? O_o
2. How are you recording this? The screen seems very shaky at times
3. Do you think Krow being damaged by the eggs might be a scripted event? That would explain his weakness to only them.

By the way, I am really digging Diddy's golden boom box :diddyrock:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby mitja » January 5th, 2016, 6:02 am

OneOf99 wrote:Very interesting stuff! However I have a few questions:

1. Did you try breaking eggs with other eggs? O_o
2. How are you recording this? The screen seems very shaky at times
3. Do you think Krow being damaged by the eggs might be a scripted event? That would explain his weakness to only them.

By the way, I am really digging Diddy's golden boom box :diddyrock:

you got me :shakehead:
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby OneOf99 » January 5th, 2016, 8:43 am

Er.. I'm not sure if I understand? :scratch:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby mitja » January 6th, 2016, 4:41 am

OneOf99 wrote:Er.. I'm not sure if I understand? :scratch:

1.I thought that was kinda obvious that they can get destroyed by the other eggs.
2.Bandicam
3.Might be true.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby mitja » January 11th, 2016, 3:12 am

Here a few of glitches I had found not sure if they belong in this topic if they don't move it.

http://youtu.be/67pmle7hrSI
http://youtu.be/AvTu1hmNlLE
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Return to ROM Hacking