How introduce purple squawks in others levels?

Share and discuss all facets of DKC ROM hacking...

How introduce purple squawks in others levels?

Postby CygnusBlizzard » January 29th, 2015, 5:18 am

Hi, I'm new in the forum, I enjoyed the projects developed here, congratulations to everyone involved in this work.
Well, my question is about the "purple squawks", I can't put him others stages using the SDK3 Editor, I suppose it has a connection involving the parrot and the level. Anyone know a program or other method that makes this possible?

Note: sorry for my bad english :shakehead:
Newcomer

Re: How introduce purple squawks in others levels?

Postby Kingizor » January 29th, 2015, 5:51 am

In DKC2, both types of Squawks are different objects and can be placed together in the same level. Whereas In DKC3, there is a flag that determines whether a level will have the ordinary green Squawks or purple Squawks.

Every level/area has a "header" of sorts that contains several bytes that affect things such as the palette, music, entry positions and so on. There are also six miscellaneous parameter bytes in each header that affect other things. Part of the fifth parameter byte determines whether a level will use normal Squawks or purple Squawks. Setting or clearing bit 0x10 of this byte will enable or disable purple Squawks in that particular level.

Refer to this document. It contains offsets for the headers of most levels, descriptions of most of the used values and a few other things.

Use a hex editor. The provided offsets should be correct for the USA version of the game; other versions may be slightly different.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby CygnusBlizzard » January 29th, 2015, 10:17 am

Thanks for your help Kingizor! However, I have difficulty in the hex editors. I can find the address of specific stage, but, i can't find and edit X parameter.
Newcomer

Postby Kingizor » January 29th, 2015, 2:44 pm

The values found for Lakeside Limbo are present in the top of the document as an example.

Start at the offset address for a particular level (0x3D06AF), then count up to "parameter 5" which in ordinary levels is the 13th value. For Lakeside Limbo, this should be 0x0A at 0x3D06BC.

Setting the correct bit here will enable purple Squawks:

0x0A = 00001010 - Off
0x1A = 00011010 - On
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby CygnusBlizzard » January 30th, 2015, 6:42 am

I did it! =D. Thank so much for your help (and patience)
Newcomer

Return to ROM Hacking