vSNES

Share and discuss all facets of DKC ROM hacking...

vSNES

Postby Markster » June 30th, 2014, 2:09 pm

I found this back a few years ago, vSNES is a great save state hacking tool for SNES games, what you do is save a SNES save state and then open it, you can see the memory addresses, graphics, and some of the ASM data being executed in the CPU during that save state moment, it could be useful for hacking or even finding more beta stuff.

It's a little bit old, but it works just fine.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/274/
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Re: vSNES

Postby Mattrizzle » June 30th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Over the past several years, I've used vSNES very frequently while hacking. It has really come in handy testing out custom palettes, sprites, and tilemaps before inserting them into the ROM. Being able to view all of the registers can also help when you're trying to pinpoint the location of a specific screen's code (though I mostly use the BSNES Debugger for this purpose now).
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Re: vSNES

Postby Qyzbud » July 3rd, 2014, 1:19 am

A fine tool indeed for investigating the inner workings of SNES savestates, etc.

I've made many mentions of vSNES in the past, and I still use it fairly often for various mapping-related tasks.

Fun fact: Early in the development of DKC Atlas (before its 2008 launch) vSNES creator creaothceann and I chatted a fair bit about various hacking matters; he even made some improvements to vSNES based on suggestions I made. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to ROM Hacking