Need Some ASM Hacking Programs

Share and discuss all facets of DKC ROM hacking...

Need Some ASM Hacking Programs

Postby Markster » September 8th, 2010, 1:05 am

I heard that ASM hacking is the most powerful way of hacking SNES games, and the most hard, i'm going to try to learn about it, but the only problem is that i can't find a ASM program for SNES games, if you know some ASM programs for SNES games then give me the name of it, i would like to know.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Re: Need Some ASM Hacking Programs

Postby Simion32 » September 8th, 2010, 2:48 am

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but it's not as easy as just downloading a program and having it do the ASM for you.

ASM stands for Assembly Code, in this case for the 65c816 processor (the SNES). You'll need to understand each and every instruction relatively well, and know how the processor responds to them.

There are two general ways to program ASM into the game, and you've still got to know what you're doing:
(1) Use an ASM compiler such as xkas (v0.06 I think?) to compile your code into SNES instructions, and then use a hex editor to insert the byte code.
(2) Use a reference file with the ASM instructions/bytes and manually type the bytes into a hex editor, and save to a file which can then be copied into the game using the hex editor. Or, if wanted/needed, you can type the bytes directly into the game using the reference, but this is the most difficult way.

I usually end up doing step #2 with a few variations on the process. There are some instances where you must manually type in bytes into the ROM, especially when hacking existing routines. I had to do that in the Zero-Speed patch.

Note: I'm in a hurry and I can't make a fully detailed response.
Maybe Mattrizzle could provide some insight if he shows up.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » April 28th, 2011, 1:37 am

I am already starting to learn ASM :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » April 28th, 2011, 6:13 am

If you need any help feel free to ask, but I'm not sure there's much to help on. I may not reply immediately though (if you do require help).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » April 28th, 2011, 9:46 pm

First of all how do you make an ASM code that does actions during a level, you know when you go to a point in the level it does an action, like changes music.

EDIT : i am pretty sure about coding in ASM, i am wondering there do you place it mainly.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Return to ROM Hacking