Super Mario Galaxy 2

Any games which star Mario can be discussed here; including, but not limited to the Super Smash Bros. games, and other cross-over games featuring both Mario and DK.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 6th, 2010, 8:06 am

Yet another new topic in the Mario section. So...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Re: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby Scraps69 » May 6th, 2010, 9:42 am

Rosalina's quite pretty. She and luigi should be an item!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby The Guy » May 6th, 2010, 9:42 am

To be honest, I'm not hyped up much at all.
Veteran Venturer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 7th, 2010, 12:36 pm

@Scraps: Maybe she and Tiptup Jr. should be an item!

@Guy: Yes you are.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Simion32 » May 7th, 2010, 2:46 pm

I'm just wondering whether this game will actually Brick hacked Wiis with a "required" Nintendo update. They have done this in the past, where the "required" update cannot be bypassed if you want to play the game, yet the updated modules are not used by said game for basic operation. Rather, they are quite fear-driven attempts to block homebrew applications (which is ultimately futile IMHO).

Why is this relevant to me, you ask? I finally got sick of Nintendo's bull**** a few months ago and I decided to soft-mod my Wii. The only thing I wanted to do was use some "Action Replay" codes on Wii games. That's it. I never play online anyways, so it matters little. And no, I didn't cheat to get infinite money, etc. as I never save the game with codes on... THAT would be risky.

Anyhow, I'll probably purchase this game outright and then wait for the hacking community to bypass any given forced-updates, if there are any to begin with (I'm guessing there HAS been a new System Menu version made by now).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Scraps69 » May 7th, 2010, 3:14 pm

mm, I have the same sort of problem. Though I havn't updated my wii or homebrew for a *very* long time.

I'm using Homebrew v 1.0.3
10S36 v 12.18 (yeah i wrote this down ages ago so it doesn't make sense to me atm) using the twilight hack.

And I have ver 3.4E of the wii.

I'm a bit worried about the bricking though I havn't played new games on the wii for ages (generally I play DKC1,2,3 (via homebrew apps), f-zero, brawl and sometimes wind waker) on it. Actually, I've also force-dumped a brawl save file (wiiload) in there as well.

Do you reckon my wii's going to brick up? i dont mind losing the homebrew data. Though i'm also planning on chip modding my wii soon as well. Though i hear that's risky as well.

EDIT: hmmm, really keen on playing muramasa: demond blade, super mario bros and galaxy 2! Maybe no more heroes as well.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » May 7th, 2010, 5:02 pm

If your Wii is bricked, then it is functionally equivalent to a very expensive brick.
WiiBrew wrote:To brick a Wii is to damage the console beyond repair - as in 'A bricked Wii has all the electronic functionality of a brick'. To put it simply, fully bricked Wii consoles do absolutely nothing. The term is often used in situations where modifying a system's firmware (without necessarily making any alterations to the machine's hardware) has caused it to become inoperable.

A Wii brick means you cannot do anything with that Wii. Nothing.

And chances are that even if you have BootMii installed like I do, the next Nintendo update could overwrite that; then, if the update decides to brick the Wii (yes they CAN do that) you will have ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of recovering the system AT ALL.

by the way / Technical: Newer Wiis have an updated boot1 which removes the ability to install BootMii, which resides in boot2.
Boot1 unfortunately cannot be hacked because, the boot1 is checked/verified by boot0 using a hard-coded hash that goes along with the boot1 area. If you were to modify boot1, then that Wii is BRICKED.

</thread-hijack>
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Scraps69 » May 7th, 2010, 8:13 pm

omg! the wii64 beta app I just d/l'ed is amazing! the N64 games run smoothly now (at least the starfox. going to test dk64 and b-k and b-t)!!!! I want to keep the home brew now :) Need to figure out how to upgrade both the wii system and the homebrew without faults and use bannerbomb hack.

EDIT: the non-expansion N64 games work 80-95% of the framerate (such as majoras mask, b-k, and star fox), but the DK64 and banjo-tooie (expansion) stuffed up. In Banjo tooie the whole world was white while playing 8| . DK the introductory cinematic (where K rool bumps into dk island) just stuffed up. THough it was still cool to get them started!

EDIT2: Gah! they made it 1000x more complicated to update it now. gosh, update my IOS36? I don't even have wi-fi on my wii to do that. bleurgh. Gah, maybe I'll just bite and let 4.2 clear it all :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » May 8th, 2010, 8:39 am

Now, I'm no expert, but as far as I'm aware the only modding you've done to your console is software based and thus easily removable, and if Nintendo were to update with a menu that would look for these homebrews and then brick your Wii you should be safe if you just remove all the homebrew software. Then you buy the game and wait for the homebrews to be updated to get around these updates. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like a pretty simple bypass.

Anyway, I'm only moderately excited for this for the sole fact that it looks so much like Super Mario World, but in space. The Yoshi elements seem to add a ton of depth to an already deep concept, although I still think it's too soon. This could've been a system seller on the next console. I mean, if they waited for the next console and made this with HD graphics, and took a couple more years to pack a ton more content into it (which they could easily do considering the next console could use blu-ray disks and thus fit a ton more on it) then I wouldn't complain. Heck, if they would've done that in the first place then the first SMG would've had all this stuff in it in the first place and they wouldn't've needed a sequel.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Scraps69 » May 8th, 2010, 9:06 am

Hmmm that's clever!

I checked the wiihacks forum on how to 'not brick your wii' and uninstalling the twilight hack outright (and subsequently that shouild uninstall homebrew) doesn't seem to be in there (http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faq ... er-do.html) . that's a smart move :) I'll probably have to utilise the twilight hack again and then uninstall.

Or I could do the 4.1 upgrade which i just found on wiihacks for when I have time.

I played DK64 last night (removed story and changed some graphic stuff) using wii64 beta and defeated the boss of the first world and freed diddy. It ran 70-90% of the normal speed. I loved the sound effects that make DK sound tough. Though it was too much of a b-k and b-t world/design. I always thought and still think that DK64 should have been designed after a crash bandicoot model with changing 3d and 2d views depending on the circumstance. and god, I remember getting annoyed and still getting annoyed for having to change kongs for different coloured bananas/banana coin. Too many kongs. Gah. Game got too complex for its own good.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 9th, 2010, 4:01 am

See, yeah, I'm not much of a hacking person. My Wii is messed up for the more simple reason of "falling off a big-ass bookshelf". It's been incapable of playing any new games I've bought this year, so if I do end up getting Galaxy 2 I'll probably buy a black Wii to go with it... which I was gonna do anyway. Errr. :oops:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Scraps69 » May 13th, 2010, 1:07 am

gah, probably because it doesn't register updates or something. Maybe you can manually install the update from the system menu instead of from the cd. I'm not sure if that's possible because I've never tried heh :mrgreen:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 21st, 2010, 9:43 pm

Alright, I'm sure it's great and all, but... perfect tens across the board? Really?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » May 22nd, 2010, 8:11 am

This is the only thing about the game that soils it for me, and it's the same reason the first game was soiled for me too. I played SMG. And I liked it. A lot. But it was definitely not on my list of best game of the decade or anywhere close. It wasn't my favorite game of that year, it wasn't my favorite Wii game, and it wasn't my favorite Mario game. It was a very good game, but not to the extent that it is exaggerated. And although I'm sure the sequel will bring just as much new to the table as the first, I'm not impressed, especially not to the point some people are. We didn't need another Mario, if the first one was as good as people say then we wouldn't need another this soon. They are simply running out of ideas, and so they are just making more Mario platformers, and although they are good ones that doesn't mean all I want to play is Mario platformers. Also, I was extremely disappointed with NSMBWii.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » June 12th, 2010, 7:32 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Alright, I'm sure it's great and all, but... perfect tens across the board? Really?
Yes, really. Now that I've completed the entire game, I can say that it at least surpasses the original game in replay value, not to mention that SMG2 has a lot more variety than the original.

But on an overall perspective, each game has its strong suits:
SMG1: Storyline, Epicness, several huge galaxies.
SMG2: More small - but varied - galaxies, lots of nostalgia, and better unlock-ables. Also more difficult.

As for SMG2's soundtrack; it weighs in at just as much as the original, minus the bucketload of EPIC that Nintendo poured into SMG1.

I definitely think this game deserves the perfect ten it got. I don care if it's a "repeat" of the same series... the effort they put into this game actually shows.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jomingo » June 13th, 2010, 10:50 am

Simion, you're telling me that you would give the game a 10 out of 10 in every category including Presentation, Sound, Graphics, Gameplay, and Lasting Appeal? I've yet to play the game, but I can't imagine that is absolutely perfect in every category. Perhaps it's the storyline crazed part of me that can't find the appeal in Mario's soulless games but I can't find a game that takes little to no effort whatsoever to incorporate a storyline or motivation, and in fact intentionally removes such a "luxury" as perfect. Sure, I bet it is a great game, considering it's improved on Galaxy which I already will admit is great, but perfect? I don't think I can agree with you on this one.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Scraps69 » June 13th, 2010, 11:47 am

good to hear. I'm now keen to play both New Mario Bros. Wii and SMG2 when I get all this stuff out of the way.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » June 13th, 2010, 1:34 pm

Jomingo wrote:...
Hmm... fair enough. Maybe I misconstrued the perfect 10/10 as being absolutely perfect, but that's not what I meant. A "Total Perfection" rating to me would be something like 11.5/10 on IGN's scale. I just think it deserved the score of 10/10. That doesn't necessarily mean I think it's absolutely perfect.

I couldn't really say where the designers might have failed in this game, as I wasn't looking for bad/negative points. Nothing really "bad" stood out in my opinion. But I can definitely say I liked it much more than the original (SMG1 left me gravely disappointed when I beat the game fully... and the end part of the storyline struck me as being quite odd too).

Scraps69 wrote:I'm now keen to play both New Mario Bros. Wii and SMG2 when I get all this stuff out of the way.
NSMBWii isn't as good of a game as Nintendo suggests, and despite its sales I still think it falls short of either Galaxy title.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 13th, 2010, 4:06 pm

crap. I had a whooole motherflipping review for this crap typed out, and then my phone deleted it. Imma get it to you guys in the morning, but mostly it just had to do with Galaxy 2 not being the absolute holy grail of gaming, and stuff being wayyy better in the `90s... so. Yeah.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Tiptup Jr. » January 5th, 2011, 5:06 am

Kay so:
Spoiler!
I haven't started a file yet, but my brother beat Bowser and after you do Rosalina pops up and there's a whole world full of Galaxy 1 bosses. :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Return to Mario Games