Donkey Konga 3?

Discuss the DK bongo games; Donkey Konga and DK Jungle Beat...
They may not capture the DKC spirit, but they have a character or two in common.

Donkey Konga 3?

Postby Jomingo » August 31st, 2008, 9:08 am

Donkey Konga 3 is the third game in the Donkey Konga series, and it was only released in Japan. Considering how there are no good sources on the internet that can tell me much about it, I was hoping some of you knew about it.

Such as:
-What new modes it has.
-Who all is playable?
-Anything else of interest!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: Donkey Konga 3?

Postby The Angry Sun » September 5th, 2008, 8:57 am

Well what about Wiki's playable character list?

DK
Diddy
Dixie
Funky

Or do you mean non-playables?

I heard Cranky appears in the background if you get the beats right.

There's also a free-play mode.
Multiplayer Mini-Games are gone.
Source: Siliconera review.

That good?
or does everyone else know that?
Trainee Trekker

Postby Sean » September 5th, 2008, 3:26 pm

There are perpetual rumours floating around, usually on Wikis like 'pedia and the Mario Wiki, that say that Tiny Kong is playable in the game (in her 64 look, most certainly). I have never seen this verified, largely because Konga 3 media is extraordinarily hard to come by. I'd be willing to dismiss it outright were it not for the fact that I've been wrong about other Wiki-stated character choices in other Japanese-only series before.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Qyzbud » September 5th, 2008, 4:07 pm

I'm quite surprised nobody in our collective contact lists has the game... Surely somebody here, or at the DKU, etc. has an imported (or local, if they're Japanese) copy of Donkey Konga 3... I had actually reserved DKa2 after enjoying the first one, but it wasn't released here (at least that's what I heard), so I never got it. Maybe I (or someone else) could pick up a copy through eBay?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » September 6th, 2008, 7:10 am

Well, I've definately seen Tiny Kong in a screenshot with my own eyes. I can't find a picture any more, as that was a while ago, but I'm sure somebody can find it(or better yet, buy the game!).

The Mario Wiki I think says that there are 6 playable characters, but then lists only DK, Diddy, Dixie, and Funky. I would not be surprised to see 6 playable characters, as Cranky Kong is in the game, and I'm pretty sure Tiny is too.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby NES Boy » March 31st, 2009, 11:39 am

I read that Donkey Konga 3 has the theme from the original Donkey Konga remade as an NES chiptune. Can anyone upload an MP3 of it? Because DKa3 music is hard to come by.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 27th, 2009, 6:32 am

Kay, sorry for bumping this, but I have to for a second.

Because of the whole region-lock thing, I'm wary of buying this from eBay right now; I could, but then I'd have to get a region-mod chip and I really don't feel like screwing up my GameCube right now. But I have been doing a bit of research.

- Apparently the game's plot revolves around raising the wood of the banana rhythm tree (I'm not kidding) and trying to shoot at it with a giant Barrel Cannon.
- The official site (which is all in Japanese) shows Cranky in what appears to be the playable characters section. Maybe he's easily unlockable and Tiny is just really hard to get?
- Funky seems to function like a helper Kong again. A Babelfish-translated block of text from the site states that he dispenses "hints and various informations".
- Apparently the arcade versions of Donkey Kong and Mario play some role in the game . . . not quite sure what. I think they have something to do with unlocking Famicom tunes.
- If you have data from the first two Donkey Kongas on your memory card, you unlock more songs.

Didn't find a picture of Tiny though. Sorry. :P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 27th, 2009, 10:46 am

Gamecubes are a dime a dozen, I say go for it. If something messes up your gamecube you can still play GC games on your Wii.

Anyway, from what I've researched I thought that the rhythm tree "plot" you spoke of was a minigame, and not the central plot to the game. And you don't raise the tree's "wood", you just plain raise the tree. You know, grow it. I'm not positive on that though.

At this point in time it appears the idea of Tiny being in the game has only been supported by articles on various Wikis, all of which easily could be wrong. I really thought I saw a screenshot at one point in time, but it could go either way.

Whether you get the game or not, the researching is appreciated.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 27th, 2009, 1:07 pm

Yeah, the wood-raising thing was from a Babelfish translation of the site. It's hilariously perverted when you read it, but I was just kidding up there. ;)

It'll be a few weeks, but once I get settled into my new house and get some of that moolah back, I think Konga 3 would be a worthy purchase. Also hoping to get a FreeLoader disc so I don't have to put up with all that modding. Now all I have to do is learn Japanese . . . Sweet! :P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 27th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Well the majority of the game should be playable without knowing Japanese. Let's just hope you don't accidentally spend all your coins on some tip from Funky you can't understand. That would suck.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby NES Boy » July 4th, 2009, 12:36 pm

I remember playing the original Donkey Konga very briefly. If you wait on the title screen, a story would come up.

And I would REALLY love to hear a full MP3 of the Famicom-style Donkey Konga theme.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby SSBMaster11 » January 26th, 2011, 1:22 pm

There's a DK3? I only played the first one.
Tourist

Return to DK's Bongo Titles