DKC2 GBA, with the Second Player's Colors!

Share and discuss DKC ROM hacks

DKC2 GBA, with the Second Player's Colors!

Postby Kiddy14 » January 1st, 2009, 5:55 am

I liked Blaziken257's idea of making the Kongs in DKC3 have the original colors of the SNES version of the game, plus them being those of the Second Player. So I tried the same thing with DKC2, and it worked!

So this is our patch, made by Blaziken257 and me, Kiddy14!

He told me how to do the hacks, and he (literally) gave me the offsets for Diddy's palette, and he sent me snapshots of the SNES game! I did the rest!

Comparison Snapshots:
New ColorsOriginal Colors
Spoiler!
Image Image
Image Image

And here are the offsets for the palettes:

American
Dixie: 000E7C5C
Diddy: 000E7C1C
Dixie Face: 000E7FDC
Dixie Invensible: 000E7CDC
Diddy Invensible: 000E7CBC

European
Dixie: 000E8AA0
Diddy: 000E8A60
Dixie Face: 000E8E20
Dixie Invensible: 000E8B20
Diddy Invensible: 000E8B00

The patch is now available for the American and European versions.

Click here for the Newer V1.2 Revisions!

DKC2s Second Player Colors (U).ips
American Version
(84 Bytes) Downloaded 943 times

DKC2s Second Player Colors (E).ips
European Version
(84 Bytes) Downloaded 893 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Re: DKC2 GBA, with the Second Player's Colors!

Postby Blaziken257 » January 1st, 2009, 6:31 am

Looks nice! Dixie looks awesome, and Diddy looks good too. Diddy could use a bit more work, though, particularly on the browns. But nice job anyways! I'll try it out!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Kiddy14 » January 1st, 2009, 7:25 am

The problem with Diddy is that Rareware kind of made him a big ball of shades of red and brown, so the light brown parts in his fur are also used for the light red shades of his clothes.

Thanks, by the way =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » January 1st, 2009, 3:41 pm

Nice work, mate. Looks like a good job to me. I imagine it's tricky working with limited palettes when similarly coloured areas share colour values... That's why the inside of Diddy's mouth is blue in DKC2's 2-player contest. :lol:

Could you maybe edit in some 'before' shots for a direct comparison? That would help us appreciate the work you've done even more, I'd say.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » January 2nd, 2009, 12:02 pm

Thanks a lot =P

It was tricky working with Diddy, the red-brown tones in his fur are really similar. I don't really get why Rareware changed the sprites and repositioned colors (does SNES uses more colors per palette than GBA?).

Also, I noticed the invincibility flashes use another palette, I didn't change that however because the original SNES also uses the normal palette for the flashes (I still don't know how Diddy hasn't caused any epileptic attack XD); but I've just noticed the obscured kongs in the map (when you get under something) use also another palette (I thought it was just a layer thing), so I'll have to change those anyway. If you like, I can also change the flashing palette...

I'll add the pictures in a few minutes!

EDIT: I added the pictures...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby DKCplayer » January 3rd, 2009, 9:18 am

They're blue! (Da ba de da ba die) :D
This is neat! I tried to find a code to make 1 player blue on the SNES version, but I couldn't.
Nice work Kiddy14!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Kiddy14 » January 3rd, 2009, 9:46 am

Thanks DKCp =P But half of this work couldn't have been possible without Blaziken257's help!

I actually was thinking of something like that, a PAR Code; perhaps, if a PAR code isn't possible (which I doubt =P), a patch for the SNES version can be done =P

I've finished changing the palettes for the flashing invinsible kongs, but I couldn't find the offsets for the shaded kongs on maps, sadly. So these new patches only add the flashing blue, purple and red colors, but this way, it is less possible for you to have an epileptic attack because of Diddy XD

DKC2s Second Player Colors (U) V1.2.ips
American Version
(112 Bytes) Downloaded 889 times

DKC2s Second Player Colors (E) V1.2.ips
European Version
(112 Bytes) Downloaded 860 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Return to ROM Hacks