Dixie Kong Country

Share and discuss DKC ROM hacks

Dixie Kong Country

Postby rainbowsprinklez » September 24th, 2021, 12:19 am

I made this. I put Dixie into dkc1. I essentially overwrote DK. So Dixie jumproll is possible, also sj. This is NOT complete. There are still issues. However, most things should work. Sound effects aren't present. Notable issues are animal buddies + Dixie, swinging rope, mine carts, and some more!

Find the download here :)
https://www.twitch.tv/rainbowsprinklez

EDIT***

This is complete now. I updated :) Here is a playthrough:

Also, instructions on applying Dixie to your mod are in the description of this video!

Download:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7657/
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Re: Dixie Kong Country

Postby VideoViking » September 24th, 2021, 7:54 am

Will her "ledge" animation be included as well? This is where Dixie is at the edge of a platform, and tries to keep herself balance so as to not fall.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby rainbowsprinklez » September 24th, 2021, 8:34 am

I call it the 'teeter' animation :) afaik, she doesn't have an animation for that, but correct me if im wrong! I disabled Diddy and Donkey's teeter
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby rainbowsprinklez » September 28th, 2021, 3:39 am

I have since updated! Still many graphical bugs. Link Removed
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby VideoViking » September 28th, 2021, 7:07 am

It's not working. I just get a black screen after matching the filenames. Also, there are two EXE files in the batch.

I am using SNES9X.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby rainbowsprinklez » September 28th, 2021, 7:33 am

I just downloaded it and things are working perfectly. Are you patching a 1.0 unheadered rom? I should've mentioned that.

I forgot to paste this with my zip! :D
This for anybody who wants them. This folder has 4 files. Dixie Kong Country is a standalone version. Dixie Kong Country - no asm is meant to be used with the other programs. The entrance rando has no limits (at least as far as I can see). The Enemy Rando is older and a bit more buggy. With Dixie Kong Country - no asm, always choose static. However, on vanilla, always choose ultimate.

EDIT
In my defence, I've been hacking dkc so long and the fact that this is the atlas, that I figured 1.0/unheadered was assumed for this site.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby VideoViking » September 28th, 2021, 8:21 am

Yeah, I would recommend including a README.TXT with instructions on how to make the patch work. In the past, I used to have ZSNES as it would allow you to run the IPS directly without having to patch the ROM first, from what as I can remember.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby rainbowsprinklez » October 1st, 2021, 11:51 am

Ok. Last update. There are still some bugs, but this was made as a 'tech demo'/hacking tool. Dixie is intended to be used on my bigger hack :) Link for Dixie Kong Country on my twitch https://www.twitch.tv/rainbowsprinklez
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby Phyreburnz » October 2nd, 2021, 2:53 am

You're absolutely welcome to use my sprites! Here's my Deviant Art page of my Dixie sprites. Just know that if you do want to use them, you have to click the "download" button or else it resizes them and makes them all blurry.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Velocity9x7 » October 3rd, 2021, 9:53 am

I've seen someone make a thread about a rom hack idea similar to this years ago. It was a hack that replaces Dixie with DK in DKC2. If you're looking for rom hack ideas, maybe you could try that?
Newcomer

Postby rainbowsprinklez » October 8th, 2021, 5:34 am

Velocity9x7 wrote:I've seen someone make a thread about a rom hack idea similar to this years ago. It was a hack that replaces Dixie with DK in DKC2. If you're looking for rom hack ideas, maybe you could try that?

That would not be cool, I don't want to steal ideas :) If I ever publically release my tools, many thanks are owed to Simion32 and Mattrizzle. Additionally, last I checked that project wasn't dead. I'm happy with this WIP. Also, I have already made previous hacks.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby Velocity9x7 » October 8th, 2021, 10:56 am

rainbowsprinklez wrote:
Velocity9x7 wrote:I've seen someone make a thread about a rom hack idea similar to this years ago. It was a hack that replaces Dixie with DK in DKC2. If you're looking for rom hack ideas, maybe you could try that?

That would not be cool, I don't want to steal ideas :) If I ever publically release my tools, many thanks are owed to Simion32 and Mattrizzle. Additionally, last I checked that project wasn't dead. I'm happy with this WIP. Also, I have already made previous hacks.

I mean technically it's not stealing ideas because I'm sure other similar rom hacks have been made but I see what you mean. Nonetheless, your hack is an interesting take. I look forward to updates. ^^
Newcomer

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 23rd, 2021, 12:46 am

Phyreburnz wrote:You're absolutely welcome to use my sprites! Here's my Deviant Art page of my Dixie sprites. Just know that if you do want to use them, you have to click the "download" button or else it resizes them and makes them all blurry.

I'm thinking now about using them, most notably the crawling, minecart, and rope swing ones. Thanks again! This is really incredible work.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby Super Luigi! » October 7th, 2022, 9:59 am

This sounds like a dream that someone on the forums has many years ago. Thanks for making this, rainbowsprinklez. I'll be sure to check it out.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 7th, 2022, 10:53 am

This was actually always my favorite DKC1 rom hack! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby rainbowsprinklez » January 29th, 2023, 12:14 pm

I updated :) Here is a playthrough:

Also, instructions on applying Dixie to your mod are in the description of this video!

Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » January 29th, 2023, 1:46 pm

Thanks, Rainbow Sprinklez! I watched your video live and I thought it was entertaining to see how easy Dixie made the platforming! Also, Dixie's spinning animation (shot out of a barrel cannon( is so funny looking! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 25th, 2023, 2:10 am

Cool! Rainbow Sprinklez, I forgot to tell you that I forgot to finish my Dixie Kong Country play through. I stopped at Chimp Caverns, got my first jr in Tanked up Trouble and then went back to mine cart madness to get more. Dixie’s is fun! But I didn’t find more glitches that I didn’t tell you about. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby rainbowsprinklez » March 25th, 2023, 3:38 am

WesternTanager794 wrote:Cool! Rainbow Sprinklez, I forgot to tell you that I forgot to finish my Dixie Kong Country play through.

No biggie! I appreciate the work you did!

WesternTanager794 wrote: got my first jr in Tanked up Trouble

Funny, I got my first in Mine Cart Madness.

WesternTanager794 wrote:Dixie’s is fun! But I didn’t find more glitches that I didn’t tell you about.

*crosses finger* I THINK we flushed them all out. Well, I hope. I'm pretty sure things are still busted on 2p, but who cares? :D
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Return to ROM Hacks