yrtnuoC gnoK yeknoD

Share and discuss DKC ROM hacks

yrtnuoC gnoK yeknoD

Postby Raccoon Sam » May 3rd, 2017, 4:42 pm

this is a cross-post from romhacking.net forums

Download here: ckd.ips
The patch is for an unheadered US 1.0 ROM.

I was greatly inspired by SMILEuser96's Super Metroid Rotation and I've been working on this for some time now. In a nutshell, this hack flips all the levels in Donkey Kong Country horizontally*.
I wrote a set of Python scripts that flip the level layout horizontally, then mirror the camera focal coordinates, then flip the sprite order (excluding the level exit sprite) and subtract their x position values from the level width, and do the same to the levels' banana maps. I had to do some manual work with DKCRE, dkedit and a hex editor... some small parts of the level layouts had to be fixed by hand to make them actually beatable, but otherwise they're pretty much 1:1. What's most affected are the Warp barrels, a few bonus barrels, some ropes and the layout and shooting direction of certain barrels.

I am no longer interested in working on this hack, so if anyone wants to continue, be my guest! As far as I'm aware, only things that aren't done are:
• Map wrap-around isn't working
• Trick Track Trek and Tanked up Trouble are unbeatable
• Temple Tempest Gnawties don't start homing you
• The sprites for bonus walls aren't flipped
• Water levels and Slipslide Ride are unflipped

Sorry for the huge screenshots.

*) Bonus levels have been left as they were.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Re: yrtnuoC gnoK yeknoD

Postby Cody » May 4th, 2017, 8:16 am

"Scratchpad File does not exist! ID# 6586 is invalid!"

:(

I somewhat attempted this a few years ago but gave up once I realized how much effort it'd take to accomplish even changing Jungle Hijinxs.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Raccoon Sam » May 4th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Cody wrote:I somewhat attempted this a few years ago but gave up once I realized how much effort it'd take to accomplish even changing Jungle Hijinxs.

Doing the scripts wasn't particularly difficult, so much of the heavy lifting was automatic. I can imagine how painful it could be if you tried to do it by hand, though! A lot of manual after-work was needed in DKCRE, though.

Cody wrote:"Scratchpad File does not exist! ID# 6586 is invalid!"

Ah, jeez.. Now that I actually read the terms and conditions of the RHDN Scratchpad, it appears that it was only available for 24 hours anyway. Welp, re-uploading to dropbox or something as soon as I can.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Cody » May 5th, 2017, 10:13 am

Awesome! I'd appreciate it.

It's a little unrelated, but this thread reminded me that one time a friend of mine said he once played a SNES emulator for Xbox that has "mirror mode," which basically flips the image and controls for every game, similar to your photos (minus the text, of course). Do you know of any emulators for PC that do have that ability?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Raccoon Sam » May 7th, 2017, 3:42 am

The link has now been fixed!

Cody wrote:"mirror mode"

It's very possible such an emulator exists, although I haven't heard about it.. I might be remembering things wrong, but isn't there a keyboard command in Windows to flip the display horizontally? That could work, haha
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Return to ROM Hacks