Can you tell me which hack this is ?

Share and discuss DKC ROM hacks

Can you tell me which hack this is ?

Postby ParkerLewis » August 15th, 2015, 9:13 am

Hi guys,

I am asking for your help because I can't manage to find a DKC (1/2/3) version or hack that I have seen a video of a few months, or at most couple years, ago.

The youtube video I had seen :

- it was clearly "snes-based", ie with material (sprites etc) from the SNES DKC series.

- Demoed levels seemed quite challenging.

- Among the memorable things on this video was a level with a ghost theme, with Ghost Ropes, Kloaks, and most notably during which you sometimes were followed by a Kackle - which I believe ensures it must have been a hack as (according to mariowiki) Kackle only appears once in the official games (during a roller coaster-type level in DKC 2, that I perfectly remember). But this was a "regular" platform level.

- In another passage of the video, the player was in a castle-themed environment, with standard Krems like Klomp or Kaboing, and a lot of Kuff n Klout going back and forth during the level, rushing through the screen from one side to the next. Something peculiar about this passage, if I recall correctly, was that at some point the action was happening not in the foreground but in the background (thus with smaller sprites etc).

That is all I can remember for now, and I can't for the life of me find trace of this hack. I was hoping that by asking here, someone would be able to direct me towards that hack (or at least the video I'm thinking of).

Does any of you see which hack I'm talking about ?

Thanks for your help :)
Newcomer

Re: Can you tell me which hack this is ?

Postby VideoViking » August 15th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Couple extra questions:

1. Do you remember seeing sprites appearing magically when the Kongs reach a certain point in the stage?

2. Did the video contain multiple retakes to demonstrate "fundamental" player mistakes and/or the limits of the game's capabilities?

These questions will help me determine if it's a Kaizo game created via DK Edit and Platinum. Most of the DKC2 and 3 demos are done using Japanese DK Editors, as the DKCRE has yet to work with the later sequels.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby ParkerLewis » August 15th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Thanks a lot for your help !

I might be wrong, but none of your two questions rings any bell. As far as I can remember, it was just an 'apparently' normal playthrough. But I dont exclude the possibility of some possible glitches here and there as it would have been expected.

If that helps, after a quick searching, I saw the thread on the doom-based hack, which did ring a bell, as I remember seeing such a video and it might very well have been the one. But unfortunately, said video isn't available anymore (deleted from youtube), and I havent been able to find it anywhere else to check whether it was indeed what I was looking for.
Newcomer

Postby vege » August 16th, 2015, 6:05 am

Hi, it sounds like the Donkey kong project by Doomero: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1738

Maybe he (or youtube) deleted his videos, but you can send a private message to Doomero.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby ParkerLewis » August 16th, 2015, 6:17 am

Yes, that's the thread I had found yesterday. I have tried pming doomero for his videos, let's hope this is indeed what I was looking for ^^
Newcomer

Return to ROM Hacks