DKC3 - Unleashed

Share and discuss DKC ROM hacks

DKC3 - Unleashed

Postby Kingizor » July 30th, 2011, 1:44 am

DKC3 - Unleashed

About:
Since late last year, I've been working on a complete rom hack of DKC3:

"DKC3 Unleashed aims to be the first complete hack of Donkey Kong Country 3. While it contains absolutely no terrain or map edits whatsoever, it demonstrates that these are not necessary for those with a violent, creative streak. This hack is reasonably difficult at times, while not so difficult at others. If you find the original difficult, you will find this even worse!"
Over the past few months I've has less and less time to work on it, so I'm releasing this version, which is far from complete.
Levels are currently hacked from the start up until the end of K3, as well as Riverside Race in KAOS Kore, and Stampede Sprint and Rocket Rush in Krematoa.
The hack is currently fully completable.

To do list:
  • Redo: Tidal Trouble, Bazza's Blockade, Fish Food Frenzy.
  • Razor Ridge (5 levels), KAOS Kore (4 levels), Krematoa (3 Levels) and most Bonuses.

This hack is by no means abandoned, but it may be a while before any more progress is made.

The patch provided is in the UPS format. The reason this was chosen is to prevent people coming along and saying "This patch doesn't work" or something similar. One advantage of UPS is that it can only be applied to the correct (ROM) file, so if it doesn't work you've probably got the wrong rom. This patch is intended for "Donkey Kong Country 3 [U][!]" - CRC32- 448eec19. Trying to patch the incorrect file will fail.

DKC3-Unleashed-Beta1-Kingizor.zip
(14.97 KiB) Downloaded 3267 times
(mirror)

The author of the patch recommends you use one of the following UPS patchers:

NUPS | DKCRE | UPSET
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Re: DKC3 - Unleashed

Postby Krow111 » September 1st, 2011, 1:49 pm

I just downloaded this earlier and it's pretty good. I didn't have many problems aside from a small palette glitch in Lakeside Limbo. Good job! :)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Kingizor » September 2nd, 2011, 1:42 am

Krow111 wrote:a small palette glitch in Lakeside Limbo.
I do know about that; it's an unlucky side effect of having everything so high up. It isn't critical, so I thought it would be fun to leave it as a visual bug.

Krow111 wrote:Good job! :)
:D
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby truteal » December 18th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Sorry to ask you all this, but how do you play this hack?
Newcomer

Postby Kingizor » December 18th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Hi,

The patch is distributed in the ups format, which prevents it from being applied to the wrong rom.

So first, you'll need the correct rom, which is the USA version of Donkey Kong Country 3.

if necessary, the rom should be deinterleaved, and should not have a header. Interleaving is fairly uncommon, whereas the copier header is not. NSRT is a tool that can both deinterleave and remove the header. In NSRT, find the rom on your hard disk, right-click the rom, and select "Deinterleave selected", then "Remove headers from selected".

Once it's done doing that, it should tell you the CRC32 amongst the data in the right pane.

If the rom now has a CRC32 of 448EEC19, your rom is fixed and you can now proceed to patching!
If the CRC32 is not 448EEC19, then you most likely have a damaged or otherwise incorrect rom.

As for patching the rom, you could use any of the three patchers I linked to in the first post. NUPS is very easy to use; just select "Apply an UPS patch to a file", then select the paths to your rom and the UPS file. Finally click "Patch". If it all goes well, then it should say something along the lines of "Patching Successful".

Now you're ready to play. 8-)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby truteal » December 19th, 2011, 8:19 am

Thanks, it worked like a charm, also, did you release the hack where this comes from? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1v-tLLozmE
Newcomer

Postby Kingizor » December 19th, 2011, 10:52 am

Not yet.

I'm planning to release a patch as soon as I've finished Kremwood Forest, not counting Squeals On Wheels or Riverside Race which I want to save for later.

I'm about halfway through Springin' Spiders, and I've not yet looked at Bobbing Barrel Brawl. Arich's Ambush is already done. ;)

I was planning to release a patch every second world or so. I'll see how things go first.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Super_Meat_Boy » June 19th, 2013, 3:21 am

Downloaded 162 times ... And like 2 - 3 feedback :/

People are cheap :shakehead:

Well i played this hack and i completed all the edited level, this is the only DKC3 hack out there and i must admit it was really a good one :)

I will restart it again but this time i'll record and post on youtube so more people can see how great this hack is ! :thumbs:
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby Qyzbud » June 19th, 2013, 9:38 am

Well damn, somehow this project slipped under my radar for what — nearly two years?! :oops:

Checking it out will be the first thing I do when I get home from work today.

Edit: It's a fair hacking effort, to be sure! The new challenges are tough, but fair... but I must confess I've found myself stuck in a loop in Doorstop Dash. :oops:

Next time I get a chance, I'll find my way through. :)

Nice work, Kingizor! :nicework:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby AceDarkStar » October 20th, 2015, 2:57 am

Hey Guys, I know that this is a really old post but just wanted to say that I just recently ran into this hack and have had a fun time playing it. Nice Job, Kingizor. I was also wondering if anyone else knew of any other DKC 3 Rom hacks because this was the only one that I could find.
Newcomer
Bananas received 1

Postby Kingizor » October 20th, 2015, 4:40 am

I'm not aware of any other similar hacks that have been released for DKC3 (yet). I imagine most people wouldn't want to release an incomplete hack, and hacking an entire game is rather time consuming. Even this one didn't quite get finished for various reasons.

This hack only uses basic object modification leaving all the terrain untouched, but a bit of creativity turned it into a completely different experience. Not long after, we found out if was possible to modify the terrain using the utilities available for DKC2. I began making a more advanced hack that took advantage of these findings. Modifying the terrain was even more time consuming and things didn't always go to plan, so the hack also ended up in limbo after the first two worlds. I never did get around to releasing that....until now.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed playing it. Positive feedback is always nice. :dixiehappy:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Cody » October 21st, 2015, 9:30 am

Nice hack so far, Kingizor! It's a pretty out-there experience to play custom DKC3 levels. I'm at Barrel Shield Bust-Up and it's so far been a lot of fun.

A few highlights of the hack to me:

- Kuff 'n' Klouts were an unexpected surprise (and in the 2nd level nonetheless!)
- Oh yeah, that said, Koin's location in one of the lake levels was awesome, where you have to bounce the keg off of the hut. Good idea!
- the white background segments in Skidda's Row are pretty cool-looking. They reminded me of the snow levels in DKL3 which were similar at times.
- Murky Mill was extremely nice, I loved that spontaneous toboggan sequence!

I did have some trouble finding out how to progress through one part of Barrel Shield Bust-Up. I didn't know that you could jump through the "two close-together tree branches platforms" -- from what I can recall, in the original the terrain layouts never had them that close to one another. It's a great idea, though! I would recommend maybe placing a single banana right there so players know they're allowed to jump through them.

Gonna play through through the rest! Thanks again for a great hack, Kingizor!

Edit: the tunnel sequences in Bobbing Barrel Brawl were beautiful!

I was also wondering if anyone else knew of any other DKC 3 Rom hacks because this was the only one that I could find.

When I figure out how to use the map program I'll definitely start working on a hack... DKC3 has always been my favorite of the trilogy and I've been dreaming of making a DKC3 terrain hack for a good chunk of my life now, it's about time I started!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby SpikeEnigmaSlash » October 23rd, 2017, 6:23 am

way super late of six years reply, as I didn't know how to patch things back then but now I do, and I wanted to say I really liked your work! well done with a brand new twist on the game. thank you.
Newcomer

Return to ROM Hacks