DKC easy edition

Share and discuss DKC ROM hacks

DKC easy edition

Postby aperson98 » July 27th, 2010, 5:09 am

In perperation for thinking of ideas to help Scraps69 out with his DKC reloaded hack I made my own little hack as practice it's kind of a parody of all those challenge hacks I found all over youtube and of course here at DKC Atlas. Instead of making the levels harder it makes them so easy a four year old can beat them with no problems at all. Most levels through Kongo Jungle to the end Chimp Caverns have been edited enjoy folks.

General changes-
-Easier and speedier gameplay
-No Armies or Krushas*
-Limited use of Zingers, Klumps, and Klaptraps
-Kritters are VERY common now
-No pitfalls in the Kongo Jungle area
- Rambi can be found in a lot of levels now
- Warps/Shortcuts easier to reach
-No bosses for first 3 areas
-Most bonus rooms are easier to find

You can get the patch here
http://www.mediafire.com/?f51d9thecjhrtj1
Spoiler!
*Army and Krusha appear as an easter egg of sorts in Platform Perils, They cannot harm you.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Re: DKC easy edition

Postby Scraps69 » July 27th, 2010, 9:17 am

Nice! :) I'll give it a play when I load this onto my lappy!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Scraps69 » July 27th, 2010, 10:52 am

I played up to Poison Pond and I'll finish it sometime later but I'm impressed! Even though it's an easy edition I still died haha.

I like your use of barrels. I struggle with those things but it looks like you've nailed it!

Also, there was a level where there was a whole bunch of gnawty's and you travelled very far - was very fun.

Also, Torchlight trouble? It was interesting to see Squwak's torchlight falter as our favourite buddy nails multiple enemies.

But that was cool and it looks like you're way past ready. Hell, you even edited water stages!

The tool in this thread: http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopi ... =37&t=1005 is legit by the way. It's the latest version od DKEDit and It's in english and You can use the mouse to change sprites using the pencil icon. I'll be using it from now on.

EDIT: I really like what you did with platform perils by the way!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby aperson98 » July 30th, 2010, 3:52 am

Thanks Scraps69 for both your input and link to the new DK edit I've tried it yesterday and I love the new interface it's so much easier to click and drag stuff then to type in coordinates all the time. I think I might do revision of this hack soon to fix bugs and make the tiles look better, but for right now I'm going to pour all of my energy into helping you with DKC reloaded.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby alapl051 » July 30th, 2010, 12:36 pm

You've made something really great here, aperson98. My mom loves it!
Newcomer

Postby Jomingo » July 30th, 2010, 1:15 pm

Look, I don't want to appear stupid, but I've never patched one of these ROM hacks before. Can somebody explain to me how to do it? I have an emu and a rom, which is Donkey Kong Country (E) (V1.1)[!].smc
If that's the correct version than somebody just explain how I apply this patch so I can start playing all the hacks I read about on here all the time.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » July 30th, 2010, 2:07 pm

As with most patches on here, you'll need Donkey Kong Country (U) (V1.0) [!].smc.

Spoiler!
The DKC Reloaded FAQ wrote:Q: I'm excited already!!! How do I play?????????
A: 1) Download an emulator, if you don't already have one. (I recommend ZSNES http://www.zsnes.com)
2) Download a DKC ROM (Must be United States version v 1.0). It is against the rules of this forum to directly link you to a ROM.
3) Download 'Lunar IPS' http://www.zophar.net/download_file/14069, which is used to apply a 'patch' (a file that puts a hack on a ROM).
4) Download and open a patch from this thread.
5) It will tell you to select the ROM you want to patch.
6) Apply the .IPS file downloaded from this site and apply it to that ROM (remember to keep a backup of the original ROM).

Alternatively, you can place the .IPS (but must rename the .ips name exactly the same as your DKC .smc ROM name) into the same folder as the original DONKEY KONG COUNTRY ROM and the ZSNES program will automatically patch it for you (though not permanently).

Q: The patch is messed up once applied.
A: There are various solutions to this problem.
1. Check to see what version of Donkey Kong Country you have. It should be Donkey Kong Country (U) (V1.0) [!].
Not (U) (V1.1) [!] Not (E) (V1.0) [!] Not (J) (V1.0) [!] — Just (U) (V1.0) [!].
You can check by looking at the name of the DKC rom. Alternatively :ugeek: you can use NRST to verify that the checksum is 0xC946DCA0 (which is the correct CRC32 for DKC U v1.0) or you could also try 0059a of the DKCRE by Simion32 (it will throw a warning if you have something other than the correct version of DKC).

If the rom is verified as (U) (V1.0) [!] with a CRC32 of 0xC946DCA0 and you still have problems then:
2a.use SNES-Tool (another program - ask the members in this forum) to remove the header.
---OR---
2b. Download the SNES9x Debugger at http://geigercount.net/crypt/
3b. Open the ROM file in this version of SNES9x
4b. It should complain about the header and ask you to remove it. Click yes.
---OR---
Just download a new copy of Donkey Kong Country (U) (V1.0) [!] from elsewhere in the world wide interwebs.

I haven't tried this patch yet, but will do so shortly.

EDIT: What version are you supposed to use?! It's not US v1.0, because I get corrupted sound after playing Jungle Hijinxs. :|
Everything patches right in-level, but the music and SFX screw up. Trying to patch a headered ROM just completely breaks, so it's not a header problem.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Scraps69 » July 31st, 2010, 1:18 pm

aperson98 wrote:Thanks Scraps69 for both your input and link to the new DK edit I've tried it yesterday and I love the new interface it's so much easier to click and drag stuff then to type in coordinates all the time. I think I might do revision of this hack soon to fix bugs and make the tiles look better, but for right now I'm going to pour all of my energy into helping you with DKC reloaded.

Heh, aright. But I won't push you if you want to go back to work on DKC easy ed :mrgreen: . This hack is a good way of getting less skilled people interested in DKC or making hacks as well!

Just post which level you want to do in the DKC Reloaded thread. Simion32 is doing snow barrel blast. I'm doing Forest Frenzy though I havn't started yet so you can take this level if you desire it. The new system of editing is making a single level hack using a fresh rom etc etc.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » July 31st, 2010, 2:15 pm

I played it the whole way through. It was pretty cool. :)

The concept you used for Platform Perils was good. And you missed an opportunity for some cool auto-barrel blasting in Snow Barrel Blast [you had a massive 40+ objects to work with!].
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby DK4Ever » July 31st, 2010, 3:02 pm

Hmm, I think I got US V 1.0 (The one you listed, Simion) but I'm having a problem, I can't seem to walk through bonus doors or exits.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Simion32 » July 31st, 2010, 3:04 pm

You've got a ROM that has a header then. I noticed that when trying out the patch on a headered ROM.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby aperson98 » August 3rd, 2010, 4:51 pm

Simion32 wrote:The concept you used for Platform Perils was good. And you missed an opportunity for some cool auto-barrel blasting in Snow Barrel Blast [you had a massive 40+ objects to work with!].

Yeah I should have edited that part a bit better maybe when I do a revision I could make the second half of Snow Barrel Blast a little more exciting.

Simion32 wrote:EDIT: What version are you supposed to use?! It's not US v1.0, because I get corrupted sound after playing Jungle Hijinxs.
Everything patches right in-level, but the music and SFX screw up. Trying to patch a headered ROM just completely breaks, so it's not a header problem.

It's patching right it's just a bug in my hack, sadly editing some objects or putting in too many save barrel sparkle objects causes this I believe. I really should have said something in the first post about that. :roll:
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby aperson98 » August 27th, 2010, 11:46 am

Hey folks I'm back again and I have updated DKC easy edition you can get the patch here.

DKC easy edition V2 download
http://www.mediafire.com/?a68mvcebit1b4xi

-Changes from first version-
-All known sound bugs are fixed. (Some objects had to be restored to their default coding to do this. If you find any please let me know.)
-All water levels and Slipslide Ride are now edited to be easier.
-You can now ride Rambi in Gangplank Galleon
- In Snow Barrel Blast you can now chose between the shortcut to the exit or a new extra lives rotating barrel course near the end of the level.
- you face Master Necky 2 times now.
-Some tiles fixed up to look nicer.
-Special warp barrels are added that warp you up one world of the game. (No I'm not telling you where they are.)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Return to ROM Hacks