Could be references......

Talk about other games developed by the creators of Donkey Kong Country.

Could be references......

Postby Jomingo » October 23rd, 2008, 8:15 am

Well, while playing through B-K for the first time in 8 years, I have found several spots that could have easily been references to other games.

For instance, the Freezeezy Peak level contains several snowmans with cannons. Bleak anyone?
The walrus in that level looks just like Bluey from DKR.

So...this is where we can talk about things in Rare games that could've references to other games.

Kay?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: Could be references......

Postby The Guy » October 23rd, 2008, 8:37 am

'K

Don't forget the several Killer Instinct refrences that can be found in...

*The Monkey Muesuem.
*The second half of Krazy Kremland's map, with a sign saying "KI Here". (Credit to the DKU.)
*A level named "Miller Instinct" in DKL3.
Veteran Venturer

Postby Qyzbud » October 23rd, 2008, 8:57 am

Yeah, those B-K snowmen (called Sir Slush) are very Bleak... I don't remember them having cannons, but throwing snowballs is certainly a common trait. The hat and laugh are both extremely alike, too.

On the topic of Banjo-Kazooie, I always thought of DK and Diddy when I saw Conga and Chimpy in Mumbo's Mountain. Not exactly a direct reference, but it was nice to see some primates in the game.

I think the Kosha fellows in DK64 were a bit of a reference to DKC2's Kutlass. Little crocs with big striking weapons. One was a viking, one was a pirate... both are feared, sea-faring warrior races/classes. Hey, they could even be the same guys, just with updated outfits and weaponry.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Swing King » October 23rd, 2008, 9:43 am

Well in Banjo-Tooie one of Bottles's kids had a DK Doll.

Anyone else notice the resemblence between Angry Aztec? Both large temple worlds where you must go in a main temple.

Jungle Japes is ridicuously similar to Mumbo's Mountain.

Mr. Vile and Croctus look remarkably like Klaptraps.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » October 24th, 2008, 6:46 am

Just so you know, my idea when starting this topic was that these things should have been those characters.... For instance, the bee in Conker's Bad Fur day should have been King Zing, and his wife should've been Queen B.

That Bear in Freezeezy peak (Buzza?) should have been Blizzard bear, exploring the polar regions of Banjo's World(I always thought that Banjo was a member of the Brother's Bear anyway).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Angry Sun » October 24th, 2008, 8:04 am

Jomingo wrote:Just so you know, my idea when starting this topic was that these things should have been those characters.... For instance, the bee in Conker's Bad Fur day should have been King Zing, and his wife should've been Queen B.

That Bear in Freezeezy peak (Buzza?)should have been Blizzard bear, exploring the polar regions of Banjo's World(I always thought that Banjo was a member of the Brother's Bear anyway).

Boggy.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Kowbrainz » October 26th, 2008, 5:42 pm

Well, Gregg Mayles designed both Banjo-Kazooie and a large portion of the DKC trilogy so it's no real surprise. I think the similarities between characters are just because of the same character artists - it's like how all those knowledge-deprived people on youtube and the like will start talking about the similarities between the music of DK64 and BK, when in reality they were done by the same person so the music's bound to have the same style.

I find a lot of levels in DK64 don't really remind me of BK levels, but instead they're a lot like the original areas of DKC translated into 3D. Jungle Hijinx is Jungle Japes. Angry Aztec represents the old Aztec levels. Gloomy Galleon is a mix of the pirate themed areas you'd see in DKC2 with some added themes. Creepy Castle is like the castle themed areas in DKC2. Crystal Caves is like the indoor ice areas of DKC, or the ones in DKC2 to an extent. Fungi Forest is a bit like the Forest areas in DKC, etc etc. Of course, there are a few similarities between DK64 and BK, mainly because a lot of the ideas which couldn't be used in BK were later used in DK64 and BT (prime examples: Hailfire Peaks, Glitter Gulch Mine, Witchyworld and Fungi Forest).

I think it wasn't until the N64 days that Rare really started putting references to their other games all over the place. Especially in BT. But then, if you've played Grabbed by the Ghoulies, you'll know that game is just one big Rare reference. I don't think there's a single room in GBTG that doesn't have a reference of some sort.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Return to Rare Games