Grant Kirkhope left Rare

Talk about other games developed by the creators of Donkey Kong Country.

Grant Kirkhope left Rare

Postby Blaziken257 » August 2nd, 2008, 6:05 am

Here's an article about it:

http://www.dkvine.com/?p=528

What are your thoughts? Personally, I don't really like the thought of this, because I liked the music from the N64 Rareware games. I wonder who will take his position? And I hope the music in the next Banjo game is good...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: Grant Kirkhope left Rare

Postby CaptainEddie » August 2nd, 2008, 6:28 am

Hmmm...Let's hope they can find a worthy succesor.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Kiddy14 » August 2nd, 2008, 6:28 am

He's looking for better horizons. It's kind of sad, but people go on, and if he wants to go on by leaving his 13 year old work, and starting again, then it's ok to me.
I don't think anybody would take his place in the company, and am sure the new music for the usual games he worked for will be as good as his.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » August 2nd, 2008, 6:35 am

I'm sure will get on without him. As longs as David Wise is still around....
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » August 2nd, 2008, 7:27 am

That's funny, Jomingo. I was just reding a part in Scribes about him.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Qyzbud » August 2nd, 2008, 4:24 pm

Sad news for many, but I'm not too upset. Grant K. was the man behind the music of GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, the Banjo series, DK64, and a few of Rare's newer (Xbox) games which I haven't yet played. I did enjoy much of his work (Banjo-Kazooie's soundtrack, especially), but as a retro-gamer (and especially a DKC fanatic), I must say I'm not all that concerned about his music's inevitable absence from future Rare titles.

At any rate, I will remember him for his Banjo-Kazooie compositions, and I wish him well in the future.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » August 2nd, 2008, 9:23 pm

From what I recall Grant only played a small part in Goldeneye's music; most of it was done by Graham Norgate. Newer titles included Ghoulies and Viva Pinata, the latter of which contained arguably the best music he has composed during the course of his entire career.

All the same, he did play a huge part in creating the atmosphere for a lot of Rare's games, so it's no doubt that he'll be sorely missed by many a fan.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Return to Rare Games