Banjo-Kazooie: Face off

Talk about other games developed by the creators of Donkey Kong Country.

Banjo-Kazooie: Face off

Postby Kowbrainz » June 3rd, 2008, 8:07 pm

For any of the overly avid Banjo-Kazooie fans out there, this weekend is for you. Even if you were a bit disappointed by the big reveal from Rare last month, you shouldn't be so sad this time. Marathongamer.com is holding a Banjo-Kazooie face off on Saturday, 7th of June at 3 am Grenwich Mean Time (check the countdown below or go to some timezone conversion site if you don't know when this is for you).

If you don't know exactly what this means, basically this is a grand duel between several Banjo-Kazooie fans, both players looking to beat the game again just for fun and those who are going for the top times possible. Each player will have their run broadcasted live on marathongamer's homepage, with a chat feature there for anyone who wishes to watch.

Since my speedrunning friend isn't able to make it, I'm going to try to take up the task of using some of his (and marshmallow's) routes, slightly modified, in order to achieve the best time possible. I'm expecting to come second, probably ten or so minutes behind the leader whose last time was 3.08.48, but we'll have to wait and see; anything could happen on the day.

Hope to see some of you guys down there on the day. Might be able to chat to you before and/or after the run if I'm lucky.

Time until face off:
[countdown=6/07/2008 3:00 AM UTC]Concluded.[/countdown]
Last edited by Qyzbud on June 8th, 2008, 2:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Countdown added
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Re: Banjo-Kazooie: Face off

Postby CM August » June 3rd, 2008, 11:15 pm

Sounds excellent. I loved watching that Banjo-Kazooie run on SDA. Best of luck to you!
Jungle Explorer

Postby Qyzbud » June 4th, 2008, 1:13 am

Hey, that's really cool... I never knew such a thing existed! How does it all work? Video streaming via webcam? Can anyone join in... ? I had a quick look at Marathongamer.com but I'm still pretty hazy on the details.
EDIT: This link pretty much answers all my questions... never mind. ;)

I bet you're capable of top spot; don't aim for second best!

I know you'll do us proud. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » June 4th, 2008, 7:37 am

Yeah, you got this in the bag. Your gonna kick major ace.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kowbrainz » June 4th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Lol, I'm definitely capable; it's just very unlikely. My best time at the moment is 3.23 which is over 15 minutes behind his time of 3:07. He's been slowly improving his individual level times at the same time I have been, so the only way I can really beat him is if he loses on the Mr Vile game several times in a row or dies; which isn't something I'm going to rely on, lol.

The only real reliable way for me to win is to keep my eyes on the run and keep going like that, while he takes small breaks to see what people are talking about in the chatroom or something (this is an assumption, it might not happen) since the comp organisers are basing it on who finishes first, not the best time. But I'm still not sure. I'll give him a run for his money, at the very least. :P

Thanks again, though. Glad to have the support. :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Tompa » June 5th, 2008, 1:02 am

Things like this are always nice. I haven't played through Banjo Kazooie enough times to be able to make a decent speedrun of it. Playing the game on PC sucks and the analog stick for the N64 sucks even worse.

I wonder if Sami shall try, Kowbrainz :D.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Qyzbud » June 5th, 2008, 11:07 am

Mr Vile always gives me trouble. How do you go against him, Kowz?

In other news; I have added a countdown timer to Kowz' first post here, so anyone can work out how long it is until the face off.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » June 5th, 2008, 5:46 pm

Hmm, I think you may have put the timer up wrong, Qyz; it's on Saturday for us Aussies.... 10am for me (perth time); 1130 for Adelaide and 12 for eastern states. EDIT: No, my mistake. I mucked up the times in the first post; sorry guys... :cry:

I won't post about this anywhere else for fear of Coolboyman (the other guy running sub330 times) seeing and practicing to make sure he beats me, but I just did a full run through of the game and got 3.10.28 as a final time - this is after missing a honeycomb piece and having to go back for it in Gobi's Valley, mind you. So yeah, if you hang around for the entire duration, it should be close. His last time was... 3.08.48. 1.40 between us. :?

Tompa: I've told Sami about it; not sure if he's going to be watching or not but I'm trying to incorporate a few of his tricks from the TAS run into my game. Some are easy, others are... not so easy. I'll see what I can do, but if I end up not being able to use a trick before the day, I'll just revert to the old strats.

Mr Vile is a real pain. I've had runs where he's added 20 minutes to my time from the amount of times I lost against him and had to go looking for extra honeycombs. Thankfully I only lost once in this most recent run.

Gah... I feel a lot more tense now knowing that it's going to be that close than I did before, lol.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Kowbrainz » June 8th, 2008, 12:56 am

Lol, I don't suppose anybody got to watch it. Ah well.

I ended up placing second, but it was weird: I beat the guy who I was fearing of losing to, but some random guy came up and beat us both by almost 10 minutes. It was really scary, lol.

It was a great success, though; I reckon Qyz should contact the folks at Marathongamer.com and see if they can organise a DKC face off, since that would be a lot better for people to watch time-wise etc; easy for people to complete in one sitting and all. Plus you could organise with George Kelion, Rare's community manager, about perhaps getting some sort of DKC related prize signed by Gregg Mayles and maybe some other team members who are still working for rare. Or we could host it ourselves; get the word out to a few more DKC fans... I mean, Tompa would almost definitely take home the gold, lol, but advertising is always cool, right?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Stone » June 8th, 2008, 1:05 am

Damn, I missed it! (due to a friend that was visiting me)
But congratulation for the second place, well done mate!

A DKC event would definately be cool to watch and Tompa deserves at least platinum ;)
And maybe all DKC's should be played. It is not quite a marathon playing the first DKC alone, is it? :mrgreen:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Kowbrainz » June 8th, 2008, 1:26 am

The only problem with that is that people tend to lose interest over a long period of time. Only four people actually finished the marathon today; 3 of which in under 3 hours 10 minutes, the other guy kept playing for another 5 hours when most people had already left.

You could do the subsequent titles in separate competitions, but doing them all in one and having several people complete is just going to make people drop out.

DKC's a perfect game, as it's relatively short and fairly simple, too. Not many people would drop out either way because the game isn't too long and you'll never have a huge way to go like in BK, where people ended up dropping out around the halfway mark.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » June 8th, 2008, 2:43 am

Kowz, I'm sorry to have missed your run. Well done though; you managed an excellent time, I wish I could have seen it. Congratulations for surpassing your close rival, too. It's a shame for you that an unexpected BK champ took the competition by storm... but hey, to come second only to someone who beats the game in a sub 3 hour time? Well that's nothing to be ashamed of!

My apologies to anyone who missed the face off due to my countdown timer; at least it said the event was earlier rather than later. :roll:

As for contacting the MG fellows re: a DKC marathon - sounds like a nice idea, maybe I can organise this sometime down the track.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » June 8th, 2008, 2:23 pm

I think it would be great for us to host an annual DKC competition. I don't know what the prize could be, but it would definately be fun to watch.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rodent » August 2nd, 2008, 12:01 pm

Jomingo wrote:I think it would be great for us to host an annual DKC competition. I don't know what the prize could be, but it would definately be fun to watch.

Ranks? :D I'd lose though...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Return to Rare Games