RUMOR : Nintendo buying back Rare from Microsoft

Talk about other games developed by the creators of Donkey Kong Country.

Re: RUMOR : Nintendo buying back Rare from Microsoft

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 2nd, 2012, 3:51 pm

Oh Lordy, oh Lordy, or Lordy... when I read the topic name I literally *GASPED* out loud :o

Please, Lord, let it not be a lie!

EDIT: Microsoft is pure evil, destroying the greatest of all video-game relationships. I've read some of the attached links and I'm a little worried; is it true that Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Donkey Kong 64? Is it also true that most of the original or "good" staff have already left Rare?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Mr.Diddy » August 3rd, 2012, 12:04 am

Katastrophe Kong wrote:Oh Lordy, oh Lordy, or Lordy... when I read the topic name I literally *GASPED* out loud :o

Please, Lord, let it not be a lie!

EDIT: Microsoft is pure evil, destroying the greatest of all video-game relationships. I've read some of the attached links and I'm a little worried; is it true that Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Donkey Kong 64? Is it also true that most of the original or "good" staff have already left Rare?

Yea, I heard that the person who founded Rare left a couple of years after Rare was with Microsoft. I just wonder If Rare ditched Nintendo, or If Ninteno sold Rare to Microsoft. If they did sell Rare, it wouldn't be their first big mistake though. "the whole playstation thing"
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 3rd, 2012, 12:09 am

Mr.Diddy wrote:it wouldn't be their first big mistake though. "the whole playstation thing"

Nintendo doesn't screw up often, but when they do: THEY SCREW UP BAD.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Gaz » August 3rd, 2012, 1:50 am

If it happens, then we waited ten years. I really hope it isn't a LIE!
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Markster » August 3rd, 2012, 2:10 am

I think we all want this to happen, all we can do at the moment is believe, and maybe it will come true, and if it don't, I will take a crap on a picture of Bill Gates face. (Only joking)
----------
Windows 8 is a huge hunk of junk and a waste of space, so bad, I would not even use it as a coaster, my drink would turn to urine.
----------
If it happens, this is the games I want.
The TRUE Donkey Kong Country 4
The TRUE Banjo Threeie
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Gaz » August 3rd, 2012, 2:27 am

If they come back, I DEMAND a Diddy Kong Pilot for the 3DS (I'd party for two nights straight if it happened).
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Gaz » August 3rd, 2012, 2:28 am

Markster wrote:I think we all want this to happen, all we can do at the moment is believe, and maybe it will come true, and if it don't, I will take a crap on a picture of Bill Gates face. (Only joking)
----------
Windows 8 is a huge hunk of junk and a waste of space, so bad, I would not even use it as a coaster, my drink would turn to urine.
----------
If it happens, this is the games I want.
The TRUE Donkey Kong Country 4
The TRUE Banjo Threeie

Wait, why is Windows 8 so bad?
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Markster » August 3rd, 2012, 2:40 am

Just see it, there forcing people to have tablet interfaces on computers, it's much slower, more incompatible, etc., I hate it. :x

There is no functionality in the damn thing.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Phyreburnz » August 3rd, 2012, 2:55 am

I totally agree with Katastrophy Kong! ♥ XP!

I totally hope that Nintendo does buy back Rare! I hope they do!!!!! I really hope they let them make more Donkey Kong games! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » August 4th, 2012, 7:15 am

Micro$oft has been controlling Rare to much, it's not Rare's fault that Banjo N&B was bad, it's Micro$oft's fault, hope this happens.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Phyreburnz » August 4th, 2012, 7:32 am

It would still kinda suck, though... I mean, Chris and Tim Stamper aren't involved in Rare anymore, are they? It would be amazing if Chris and Tim would return, too.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Blaziken257 » August 4th, 2012, 2:12 pm

It was only a matter of time before this was mentioned in this forum... anyway, I doubt it will happen. For starters, just who is this anonymous tipster anyway? He could easily be a troll who's just trying to get everybody's hopes up high. Anybody can come up with rumors like that; I bet if I were to come up with something crazy (like Nintendo discontinuing all their hardware, or selling their franchises to a rival company) and announced it on every site known to man, people would believe it despite the lack of evidence just because one person started the rumor.

Also, what does Rareware have going for it anymore? Some causal Kinect games that are ripoffs of a certain launch title for the Wii (which I haven't even played in years)? No thanks. Even before that, they lost their magic years ago with all the GBA games that they made, which were all subpar compared to anything before it (the SNES versions of the DKC games were better, and if you want good Banjo games, get an N64). (Unfortunately, I don't have an Xbox so I can't say how those games are... but BK:N&B was nowhere near as popular as the N64 games, and I'm not surprised.) It's a zombie company where lots of people left, like the Stamper brothers, Dave Wise, Grant Kirkhope, and lots of other people I can't think of at the moment. The current Rare is the same as the SNES/GB/N64-era Rare in name only! I lost my confidence in Rare since 2005, and I haven't gotten any new games from them ever since then (and this will probably be the case forever for me).

So even if Nintendo were to buy back Rare, what good would it do for them? Not much. As much as people want it to happen, they're not going to make ground-breaking games like they used to. Sorry. So buying Rare is pretty much like buying a bad stock whose price keeps declining. It doesn't make sense.

So, until there's an official announcement on the matter, I refuse to believe it. Keep dreaming, everybody...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Markster » August 5th, 2012, 4:32 am

Like I said, it's 99.9% chance this won't happen.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » August 12th, 2012, 12:50 pm

So far, it's not happening, I don't think this will actually happen, ah well, at-least we got Retro Studios... :kiddysad:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Mr.Diddy » August 23rd, 2012, 2:28 pm

Markster wrote:Like I said, it's 99.9% chance this won't happen.

I did the math, there's a 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% chance it won't happen. :nicework:
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Return to Rare Games