General DKC Atlas Queries and Troubleshooting

Feedback, suggestions and content submissions for the DKC Atlas website and forum can be posted here.

Re: General DKC Atlas Queries and Troubleshooting

Postby Jomingo » July 28th, 2008, 12:41 pm

As with most of the problems around here, I think this is exclusive to IE. We won't make you have to download Firefox, I don't even have Firefox. That would probably alienate people. Qyz is working on how to fix this. In the mean time, anytime this happens to you try this: After the new "Page can't be displayed" page pops up, click back on your toolbar. You should go back to the main page and then the whole problem might happen again. Just keep going back, and eventually it should load fine.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 28th, 2008, 12:45 pm

That's pretty much what I do, when the page takes too long to load, I just go on to another site, click a few pages, then come back here to see if it will work. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I live in the United States, and Qyzbud, the creator of this site, is in Australia, they're very far apart, does this have anything to do with it?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 28th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Okay, wierdest (probably unintentional) double post ever.

Anyway, I don't think that would make any difference, this isn't Brawl's Online mode, this is the internet. It's most likely you're browser(IE).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 28th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Sorry about that, I was half-asleep, and hit "quote" instead of "edit", because I wanted to change one of the words, "to" to "too", that's all. Anyways, I don't think it's IE, because I have heard of some people where it works fine when they use IE, and some people have trouble when using FF, so I don't know.

EDIT: Another big problem, I just went to look at the first updates for the website, and it wouldn't even load that.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 28th, 2008, 12:55 pm

The only problems I remember with FF was because the switch to FF3.0 caused a few problems, but they are pretty much fixed now I think. I think that this problem doesn't have anything to do with FF, as you and I both don't use FF. I'm almost positive this is because of IE.

I'd like to hear from other IE users on here, but of course not a lot of people are online right now.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 28th, 2008, 12:59 pm

The most users we have had on in the last 5 and a half months were 28 members, this site doesn't have very many members. We need to think of a way to get more. If you go on other sites that allow it, you can put dkc-atlas.com in your signature, (that's what Kowbrainz did).
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 28th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Indeed, but that's a discussion for another topic.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 28th, 2008, 1:04 pm

Congrats on reaching 1000 posts! You're the 2nd member to do so! Back on-topic, do we have a thread for that yet? If not, we should probably start a new one.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » July 28th, 2008, 2:18 pm

The problem loadin pages also happens to me, but in a different way:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=261#p6479
Firefox starts loading the page, then nothing happens, and the page finishes throwing that error. Maybe the site's traffic is too much for it, it only throws me the error when a lot of people are browsing it.

EDIT: The same error on IE, notice the image it was trying to load:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » July 29th, 2008, 12:17 am

@GamerBoy: Then go ahead and start it.

@Kiddy14: Thanks for doing so much to try and figure this out.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » July 30th, 2008, 9:40 am

Well, very frequently I try looking at a page on the site or forums and it takes a long time, and the just kinda gives up, giving me a "cannot be displayed" message. It's not a big problem though, because all I need to do is click refresh and it loads fine.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » July 30th, 2008, 9:49 am

Trust me, that's your internet connection.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » July 30th, 2008, 9:54 am

Really? That's probably it, I'm in the farthest point from the modem in my house but....for some reason it only does it for this site. With no obvious pattern either. But if no one else is experiencing it, then I guess it must be my connection...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Kiddy14 » July 30th, 2008, 12:34 pm

The same thing happens to me too, I re-click the link and nothing happens, until the Cannot Display the Webpage appears there's when I refresh and works.
Sometimes when I re-click it the page actually appears, but with no format, all the text is in Times New Roman.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Kiddy14 » August 12th, 2008, 1:59 pm

I think the server needs indeed some maintenance Qyz... this happened today a few moments ago... :roll:

Spoiler!
¡Error en el servidor!

El servidor encontro un error interno y fue imposible completar su solicitud.

Mensaje de error:
Premature end of script headers: ucp.php

Por favor contacte con el webmaster en caso de que usted crea que existe un error en el servidor.
Error 500
http://www.dkc-atlas.com
Tue Aug 12 04:25:31 2008
Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) mod_auth_pgsql/2.0.2b1 mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7e

If those are normal and not harming then ignore this :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » August 12th, 2008, 2:52 pm

Oh no, my server has turned Spanish!

Hmm, so this happened while you were accessing your User Control Panel? That might have been due to me tinkering with some files... hopefully that's all it is. If you get the message again, please let me know. Thanks matey!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby CaptainEddie » August 13th, 2008, 5:28 am

Hey, Qyz...
Spoiler!
DKC Atlas Server Error.jpg
DKC Atlas Server Error.jpg (80.05 KiB) Viewed 106814 times

This happened upon trying to enter the forum. Then I tried getting to the site itself, with the same result. This went on for about a minute, and then it worked.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 13th, 2008, 5:30 am

Wow, I really hope I won't have to download firefox, :cry: .

EDIT: Also, I viewed a screenshot, and on one of them I was able to see who took the screenshot, only on one picture though.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby CaptainEddie » August 13th, 2008, 5:31 am

But Kiddy uses Firefox, and he got the same error.

EDIT: I found another glitch!

Spoiler!
ropeyrampageglitch.jpg
ropeyrampageglitch.jpg (118.32 KiB) Viewed 106788 times

I was looking at Ropey Rampage's map and noticed this discolored barrel!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Simion32 » August 13th, 2008, 8:13 am

CaptainEddie wrote:discolored barrel
Actually, it's like that in-game. So it's a game glitch (the barrel uses the wrong palette) not a website glitch.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby CaptainEddie » August 13th, 2008, 9:56 am

Oh, really? Sorry, my bad. Now I've got to go see it for my self.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Qyzbud » August 13th, 2008, 11:57 am

To help me keep things organised, any comments to do with the formatting/display of the maps themselves ought to be posted here, thanks.

As for the ongoing site loading issues; I think we have at least two separate problems here... Internet Explorer is causing a few problems when trying to handle certain data, and it does appear that my server/host is not 100% reliable at the moment, too.

To help me understand the IE issue, I'll create a series of test pages for you guys to view. Hopefully you will be able to let me know which ones give errors.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 13th, 2008, 1:27 pm

GOOD NEWS: I clicked on Previous Updates, and it succesfully loaded the page without the error message. I think the problem is solved, (for me at least).
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 13th, 2008, 2:43 pm

Okay, I've prepared a set of test pages.

Original Page (Orang-utan Gang Level Info page)

Test A - Code that enables 'At a glance' info has been removed.
Test B - Templating system has been simplified (but is less efficient)
Test C - Templating has been dropped completely (far less efficient)

Please access each page, and let me know if you experience any errors. (please be specific about which page gives what errors)

Thanks to everyone who is willing to help test this out.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 13th, 2008, 2:48 pm

I tested all of them, and they were all fine. However, whenever I click the arrows to go from level to level, on rare occasions, I sometimes get the error that says IE can't open the page, but I click the back arrow, and I can continue through the maps.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » August 13th, 2008, 3:01 pm

I tested each page in IE7 and Firefox 3. No errors were displayed at all on those four pages. I don't know what on earth could be wrong...

But, when I click the Previous Updates link on the front page (http://www.dkc-atlas.com/dkc/updates) with IE7 it says exactly this:

"Windows Internet Explorer"
"Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://www.dkc-atlas.com/dkc/updates.

Operation aborted"

...and the text and the background color are loaded, but nothing else. EDIT: If I leave it alone the rest of the page will load while the error is being displayed. EDIT AGAIN: I clicked the back button and it worked. Do you suppose it works because the page is already cached? EDIT: Nope, I did a hard-refresh (Ctrl+F5) and it still worked. What is going on here?

That doesn't happen with Firefox 3.

Strange, notice that internet is capitalized, and there is no period after the second sentence. And it provides no reason whatsoever as to why it can't access the page. Shame on you, Microsoft!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 13th, 2008, 3:11 pm

That's odd, it doesn't do that to me when I view previous updates. Something is starting to tell me it's a different problem.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 13th, 2008, 3:41 pm

Thanks guys, it's all quite puzzling. I actually got the Previous Updates error myself for the first time, just then, using IE6...

I wonder if the Level Info page errors are only apparent for those who navigate between them with the arrows... :?: As soon as you click one of the arrows on a test page, it will take you to a non-modified page, so I would expect you to receive an error when doing that, if ever you would get one. I just wish I had access to a workstation on which these errors occurred... It's really hard to fix something that's not broken at your end! :roll:

I'd like to hear from anyone else, Kiddy and Jomingo especially.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » August 14th, 2008, 12:21 am

Alright, now I'm even more confused. The only thing these "tests" seem to prove is that on my end, it happens almost randomly.

When I clicked the Original page, absolutely nothing went wrong. I clicked it several times and it worked fine. Then I went up to the top bar, went to level info pages, and clicked on Orangutan Gang to see what would happen when loaded that way, and the Operation Aborted error happened. No matter how many times I clicked back it wouldn't work.

Then I clicked on Test A, and the operation aborted error happened. I clicked back about 10 times and it worked.

Then I clicked Test B, and it loaded fine the first try, but when I clicked it again the error happened.

Then I clicked Test C, and it worked fine.

Another thing: When I clicked on Test B, it said Test "C" underneath the Level Title. When I clicked Test C, it said Test "B" under it. There was nothing labelled under Test A.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » August 14th, 2008, 3:30 am

Test A worked the first 3 times, then the Error appeared and didn't cease appearing.

Test B and Test C worked fine. No error appeared and the page loaded fine.

I was pretty sure it had something to do with scripts.
Though I think the tests I did are not really reliable. Today, my internet provider (Prodigy Infinitum) decided to be lazy and my download speed connection isn't more fast than 1.08 kb/s, so a full DKC Atlas page takes 5 minutes to start showing the images and 3 minutes more to show completely :|
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » August 14th, 2008, 7:56 am

I also am thinking that it has something to do with JavaScript. In particular, I think something in switchcontent.js is probably causing the error, from what I've read on other sites (specifically here and here). The thing that's causing IE to throw an error seems to be that you're putting this line
<script type="text/javascript" src="/scripts/switchcontent.js"></script>
before whatever code the script is used in has a chance to load. Firefox won't complain but IE 6/7 does. It has "window.addEventListener" (I saved the Previous Updates page to disk then did a text search on the .js files) which seems similar to the stuff on the page in that first link. No other javascript you use has that.

From what I can gather, IE complains because you shouldn't be able to modify something before it's loaded. Which is also why the error is so random - it depends on your connection speed. If the page tends to load too slow, it will probably throw the error. But if it's faster, it might not.

I'm not completely sure if that's the problem, but I'm posting it anyway just in case.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Qyzbud » August 14th, 2008, 9:55 am

Jomingo wrote:When I clicked on Test B, it said Test "C" underneath the Level Title. When I clicked Test C, it said Test "B" under it.

Good observation. I switched the order of the tests, and forgot to edit those labels. :?

Simion, good suggestion; I've given it a go...

Test C - Same as before; no templating, but all JavaScripts are active
Test D - Same as Test C, but switchcontent.js has been disabled
Test E - SwitchContent and Lightbox (snapshot viewer) scripts disabled

If you could all try accessing those pages, and let me know if problems occur, that would be great. If SwitchContent (which allows for site content to be expanded and contracted, like the Spoilers here) is causing the errors, I think I'll be able to fix things up without too much difficulty.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 14th, 2008, 10:09 am

I tried each page about 5 times or so. They all went okay, but the first 2 times I tired test E, it wouldn't load the page, but after that it loaded fine. Test C and D worked fine, but 1 or 2 times the page took a little longer to load.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby CaptainEddie » August 14th, 2008, 10:47 am

I tried each page three times. Test C worked fine on all three, Test D and E wouldn't load the first time, but loaded on the second and third time.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Simion32 » August 14th, 2008, 10:54 am

C = no errors, it loaded fine 5 times. I loaded the page consecutively using Ctrl+F5.
D = Same result as C, but the sixth time I loaded the page, the background/border didn't appear. Slightly slow.
E = Tried hard refreshing more than 7 times. Page loaded a lot faster than the other two tests. No errors.

I haven't a clue what it could be... these results don't make sense at all. :|

EDIT: As the Microsoft page says, it's something to do with the "innerHTML" or "appendChild" method. Will look into this to see if I can find anything.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Jomingo » August 14th, 2008, 11:19 am

Alright, here's my results:
Test C- 3 times no problems.
Test D- First 2 times the error popped up, but I only had to click back once to make it work. The third time went fine.
Test E- Worked fine all three times.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » August 14th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Test C and E worked for me.

Test D, however, threw me the error and when it did not the page never stopped loading (well, it did load but spent a whole minute downloading a random image).
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 14th, 2008, 4:02 pm

Ugh... the previous updates error came back! It disappeared for 1-2 days, now it's here again!

EDIT: Nevermind, it went away again.

EDIT 2: Umm.... Now it came back. :lol: If it goes away, I won't post that time.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby NS Guy » September 12th, 2008, 3:18 am

Firefox has told me on two separate occasions that your server doesn't exist. I even double-checked to make sure it was correctly spelled!
Also: How do I get an avatar? As you can see, I'm very new here.
Tourist

Postby Qyzbud » September 12th, 2008, 9:37 am

Thanks for the report. This is happening a little too often for my liking; I'll pass this on to my web host, and if they don't improve their service, I'll look into changing to another host. Avatars can be managed via the User Control Panel - here.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » November 9th, 2008, 11:17 am

Sorry for the bump, but it is on-topic. If you click on Level Info... which is near the top of the page, it will bring you to a list of levels, clicking on them will bring you to the info page. The levels work, but for some reason, I get 404 pages when I click on the bosses...
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Diddy Kong » November 9th, 2008, 12:05 pm

IE sometimes shows the level info and sometimes it will not work.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Simion32 » November 15th, 2008, 1:28 pm

It seems that Atlas recently experienced some strange sort of downtime - I couldn't get to the forum or site for about 3-6 minutes. I wonder why it happened? Really strange, is that FireFTP was able to connect to the ftp server at Atlas while this load error was happening. Google and several other sites would load, so I doubt it was my connection.

I hope I'm not going insane here... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Qyzbud » December 28th, 2008, 5:23 pm

Hi all,

I've been tweaking some server settings, and you may notice some side effects for a while. I'm working to get things back to normal - well, better than normal, actually - so just try to be patient while I monkey around. It's all in the name of progress. ;)

EDIT:

Well after a few mysterious hiccups, things are back as they should be. I still haven't found a fix for the major, long-term issues... I guess what I might have to do is surf to the Atlas on as many different computers/internet connections as possible, until I encounter the errors myself. Hopefully that will give me the ability to do some analysis and troubleshooting. I just wish I knew what was causing these problems... :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 1st, 2009, 12:19 pm

First of all, when I click on the articles link, I get a completely blank page.

Second, as pointed out in the on-going site development discussion, the world screenshots for the DKC2 and 3 Atlases don't look quite right.
Attachments
DKC Atlas screens.PNG
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » January 1st, 2009, 1:32 pm

Thanks for the report.

The Articles page is now back in action, and is soon to be populated with a series of game reviews.

The unusual presentation of the map screens on the DKC2/3 world info pages is something I plan to address soon. I like the way DKC's screens connected, as it makes for quite a nice 'panorama' look, but it's not going to be quite so pretty for the other games. DKC2 had a similar look for Krem Quay, but for the most part I'm going to have to take a different approach.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 1st, 2009, 1:45 pm

You are welcome, (again) :D . I hope I can find more notifications.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Forum Error

Postby VideoViking » July 8th, 2009, 5:25 am

The attachment function is not working. Everytime I try to upload an image in Edit mode only, I get a blank screen. The image never goes through.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Atlas Discussion