General DKC Atlas Queries and Troubleshooting

Feedback, suggestions and content submissions for the DKC Atlas website and forum can be posted here.

General DKC Atlas Queries and Troubleshooting

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 2nd, 2008, 9:07 am

Jomingo Says: Now this topic will be used to report problems with any part of DKC Atlas, be it the site or the forum.

When you reply to a PM but it goes to your outbox and doesn't show up in the "Sent Items" folder, what do you do?

Thanks. :|
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Re: You might be a redneck if you can't remember how to send PMs

Postby Simion32 » May 2nd, 2008, 9:10 am

It means that the person you sent the PM to hasn't read that PM yet. After the PM has been read, it automatically moves to the Sent Items folder.
... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Re: You might be a redneck if you can't remember how to send PMs

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 2nd, 2008, 9:35 am

Okay. Newly appointed Moderator, close this topic!

Please and thank you, of course. ;)

Kowz: lol... no need for these posts; if a question is answered a mod knows when to lock. ^_^
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Re: General Forum Queries and Troubleshooting

Postby Qyzbud » May 3rd, 2008, 12:53 pm

Hey, why not unlock this topic and use it for General Forum Queries and Troubleshooting, I thought. :)

Thanks for unwittingly starting a thread of this nature, Tiptup.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » May 23rd, 2008, 1:07 pm

Sent off the island
The DKC Atlas version of 'Banned'
This is an open group, members can apply to join.

So if I want I can auto-ban me from the forums? :lol:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » May 23rd, 2008, 1:16 pm

...if you so desire. Interested? :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » May 23rd, 2008, 1:19 pm

No. ¬¬

XD It's just, it should be only controllable by admins, I think. Or is it impossible to do with phpBB?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » May 24th, 2008, 6:25 am

Well, I think you should reserve the right to ban yourself. If you were ever inclined to do so, why not?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » July 6th, 2008, 10:23 am

I think my forum session just got hacked or something. It happened during my most recent post in anything goes.

Behold the ultimate chaos which had ensued:
Image :shock:

Why on earth did that happen in the first place? It looks fine now.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Kiddy14 » July 6th, 2008, 11:57 am

Maybe... your internet conexion was slow and your browser ended messing all up. Happens to me in Hotmail sometimes. But I can say it looks really messed up.

One time where I was posting something in the General DKC discussion forum, the forum let me to choose if the topic was marked as important and a lot of stuff that's only available to mods. Qyzbud was online when it happened, so maybe it was some of his updating =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » July 7th, 2008, 4:37 am

Simion, I would say that was probably your computer's fault, as I haven't noticed anything strange. But to be safe, I will keep close attention to the site the next few days.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby BlueTronic » July 7th, 2008, 5:16 am

That's kind of like what the new posts page looks like on my PSP.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » July 7th, 2008, 6:16 am

Jomingo wrote:Simion, I would say that was probably your computer's fault, as I haven't noticed anything strange. But to be safe, I will keep close attention to the site the next few days.
I thought it may have been at the fault of my computer, but I posted just to let everyone know that it happened. I'd rather be safe than sorry. That's the first time I've seen any forum mess up like that. I suppose it could be because of the long distance the signals have to travel to get to me; between Australia and USA is quite a long distance. The signal probably got corrupted somewhere along the line, causing that to happen.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Problems with the site (for me atleast)

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 7th, 2008, 6:33 am

Is anyone besides me have problems with this site? All the other sites work fine for me, but sometimes on this site, my screen freezes, and I have to go to another site to get it working again, and then come back to this site. Is anyone having this problem, or does my computer not like this site?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Re: Problems with the site (for me atleast)

Postby BlueTronic » July 7th, 2008, 6:44 am

Works fine for me. Maybe your computer is jealous. :lol:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 7th, 2008, 6:58 am

Kong-Fu wrote:Works fine for me. Maybe your computer is jealous. :lol:

This is serious, my computer freezes sometimes, what browser are you using? If it's Firefox, that might be the reason why it's working.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » July 7th, 2008, 7:14 am

gamer_boy997 wrote:This is serious, my computer freezes sometimes, what browser are you using?
I'm using Firefox, and still tends to freeze up every once in a while. Have to click STOP and then REFRESH several times to get the page to load. It used not to happen before, but it's becoming more frequent.

gamer_boy997 wrote: If it's Firefox, that might be the reason why it's working.
By the way...

Shouldn't this be in the general troubleshooting thread instead of its own thread? Or does there need to be a "whole site" general troubleshooting thread as well?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby BlueTronic » July 7th, 2008, 8:04 am

gamer_boy997 wrote:
Kong-Fu wrote:Works fine for me. Maybe your computer is jealous. :lol:

This is serious, my computer freezes sometimes, what browser are you using? If it's Firefox, that might be the reason why it's working.

I'm using AOL. I use 3 different browsers to view DKC-Atlas and none of them were any faster or slower in general. Maybe it's your connection. Every once in a while (Like maybe every few months) the pages won't load no matter what, then it let's me on after 10 or so minutes, but DKC-Atlas has never made my computer freeze. Pretty much everything else did. Try staying off for a while and then signing back on.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Jomingo » July 7th, 2008, 9:17 am

Simion32 wrote:Shouldn't this be in the general troubleshooting thread instead of its own thread? Or does there need to be a "whole site" general troubleshooting thread as well?

You are right on both accounts. The Forum queries thread should have been a whole site thread, and so I merged these topics and will be changing that topic's title and placement.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: General DKC Atlas Queries and Troubleshooting

Postby Kiddy14 » July 7th, 2008, 9:40 am

DKC Atlas never does that to me. But I can say, every once in a while I click a link in the site (site and forum, since they're both in the same server) and the page never loads, then the browser tells me something like: "The conection to the server has been reseted" or something like that. So I click refresh after the unloading page tells me that and it works again.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » July 7th, 2008, 10:02 am

Whenever I visit the main site, the site loads fine but when I try to click any of the Level Info pages the page will start loading and then stop. An error message will pop up, saying, "Internet Explorer cannot open the site: (...) Operation Aborted." Then after I click it will go to a page saying "This Program cannot display the webpage."

I am sure that my problems and probably most of yours have been caused by Internet Explorer and AOL. The easy way to fix this would be to use Firefox, but of course for some of us that may not be an option. For those of you in that situation, I am sorry, there is probably nothing we can do. As long as you use AOL, there will probably be problems.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » July 7th, 2008, 10:34 am

I'm using Firefox. It doesn't happen a lot though, just every once in a while.
I forcilly made it happen to show you the screenshot.

It says:
"Problem loading the page - Mozilla Firefox"
"The connection has caducated"
"The server <www.dkcatlas.com> is spending to much time to answer"
"The site could not be available temporarily or too much busy. Try it in the next few minutes"
"Blah blah, <stuff related to firewalls and that>"

So... I click in the Retry button and it works.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 7th, 2008, 10:41 am

Simion32 wrote:I'm using Firefox, and still tends to freeze up every once in a while.

That's wierd, I thought I remember Qyzbud saying something about this site supporting firefox, and I never hear him say anything about Internet Explorer, so I thought this site was best for firefox, I guess not.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » July 7th, 2008, 10:55 am

Qyzbud developed the site to look better for Firefox 2. But Firefox 3 is way different from 2.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 7th, 2008, 12:43 pm

I tried another computer, and it froze again, but they're using the same router, so that might have something to do with it.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 8th, 2008, 2:03 am

Kiddy 14, because you can just refresh the page to fix your problem I don't think it's too big a deal. Even with some little problems like that the site will work better with Firefox 3 than AOL.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » July 8th, 2008, 5:39 am

I know, but sometimes I have to wait like 15 minutes until the page finally shows. Or delete cookies; for some reason it works again if you do that.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » July 8th, 2008, 8:47 am

Well, I wouldn't complain to much. It is impossible for me to view any of the Level Info pages.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » July 8th, 2008, 6:29 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:"Blah blah, <stuff related to firewalls and that>"
Actually, I was messing around with my firewall settings just now and got Firefox to navigate faster. I was getting that error quite frequently (not just with Atlas) but it has stopped now that I realized what was wrong and fixed it. I'll see if any other errors happen.

The reason: Don't just allow only port 80 (HTTP) as there are other ports which the browser uses, that seem to make pages load faster when allowed. My firewall has a predefined setting for web browsers but it doesn't say what ports are in this range. I wasn't using the predefined setting (instead I was only allowing HTTP port 80) so Firefox slowed down a lot.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Kiddy14 » July 10th, 2008, 6:19 am

Kiddy14 wrote:One time where I was posting something in the General DKC discussion forum, the forum let me to choose if the topic was marked as important and a lot of stuff that's only available to mods.

Well... today, while posting a reply for a topic. The forum let me Lock the Topic if I wanted. I clicked Preview and the option was still there. I posted my response as normal and then tried posting another response in the same topic and the button was gone. Here's a full screenshot of the page.

Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » July 10th, 2008, 10:15 am

Very strange indeed. Well, one thing it could be is because you are using board style Subsilver2, while you should be using Atlas2. I think I remember Qyzbud saying that the other ones were in the testing stage and they aren't ready to use. That could be the problem.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » July 10th, 2008, 10:18 am

Something simmilar happened to me before. I could choose to mark a thread I was editing as important. And that happened while using the default atlas1 theme.
Besides after that incident the "option" dissapeared.

EDIT: Oh and I'm using subsilver2 because it has the poster info (profile pic, username, joined) in the left of the page, while atlas1 has it on the right.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » July 10th, 2008, 10:26 am

Sorry, I told you Atlas2, but I meant Atlas1. Yeah, I think if you use Atlas1 you won't have any problems.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » July 12th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Is happening again right now... with subsilver2
But I don't like the profiles to the right! >=(
I'll check if it appears with atlas1...

EDIT:
But I locked it on accident!!! D=
Help!!!
I'm in trouble!
I already messaged Jomingo, cfh and Qyzbud! And reported my post!
But it's not enough!
The forum's messed up or something I don't know.
And I used atlas1 theme, not subsilver2!!!
:oops: :cry:
@Simion32: Yeah! I changed the forums theme and then clicked it and took the screenshot! Then I unclicked the option and started to edit my message. Then I switched the forum's theme to subsliver2 but to check if it would happen still I changed it back to atlas1 again while the message was being posted and then it was checked! I didn't touch anything there!!
And I checked the topic and it was locked!
It even has these "Quick mod-tools":
Please, help, and don't kill me! I'm even thinking to join that "Sent off the island" group! *hides*
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » July 12th, 2008, 1:12 pm

What on earth...? It was checked by default? :|

Man the forum is messed up! This really needs to be fixed, before someone exploits the "glitch" to lock whatever threads they want... :?

It hasn't happened to me yet. But I'll keep a close eye on the post options to ensure I don't run into the same thing Kiddy14 did.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Kiddy14 » July 12th, 2008, 1:35 pm

I found the reason!!!

For some reason, I'm a "partial mod" in Anything Goes... I can't moderate other people's threads, but I can mine, take a look:

And the only topic I've created there is the Cellphone Thread.
Can some real mod fix this? Mod responsability is too much for me!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby BlueTronic » July 12th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:For some reason, I'm a "partial mod" in Anything Goes... I can't moderate other people's threads, but I can mine, take a look.

Same here. Are you sure everyone can't do that to their anything goes threads?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kiddy14 » July 12th, 2008, 3:33 pm

Well. I don't know, non of the mods, neither Qyzbud have said anything about it... And Jomingo said it was weird so I think he didn't know...

And I CAN'T RE-OPEN it so I don't know.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » July 13th, 2008, 6:02 am

Sorry I've been gone for three days.

So, Qyzbud opened the topic, and according to the moderator logs when you locked it it said, "User locked own topic". That sounds to me like a normal option, and because you can't lock anybody else's I think it's normal.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » July 13th, 2008, 11:49 am

Wow, so much worry over something so trivial! :roll:

Basically, I had intentionally set fewer user restrictions on the Anything Goes board. I guess at the time of creating that board, I felt the extra freedom suited the very nature of 'anything goes'. I've tightened this up now, as it seems to have caused some distress.

Sorry if anyone was injured as a result of these extra 'modlike' powers. :P

As for the server errors that some have been experiencing; I'll look into it. That kind of thing is typically out of my control, but I will put a query to my hosting provider and see if this can be resolved with minimal fuss. Thanks for the reports, guys.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » July 13th, 2008, 2:28 pm

XD
I was overreacting I know =)

I see it was taken out.
Well... sorry for anybody who is angry at me now that Qyz removed that modding power =P
But don't you think anybody can start spamming the forum?
Posting a thread, replying to it and locking it... Or posting tons of threads as stickies =P

Anyway sorry for any trouble =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » July 13th, 2008, 5:33 pm

I see what you mean, and yeah; I realise that in the wrong hands these powers could cause problems... but I'm one of those blissfully ignorant fools who would rather just give everyone the benefit of the doubt. If problems arise, I'll deal with them, but in the meantime I prefer to make things as simple and enjoyable as possible. Notice that there's no CAPTCHA authentication or any of that nonsense? I don't like inconveniencing/restricting people unless it's quite necessary.

Those demimod powers were a little pointless, though. Nobody's gonna miss 'em. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » July 14th, 2008, 1:15 am

Indeed, but that's a good quality. You put trust in us until somebody takes advantage of it. Anyway, I'm glad that's all cleared up.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: General on-going site development discussion

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 28th, 2008, 11:18 am

You're welcome for the report, :mrgreen: .

EDIT: Ugh... not that this matters or anything, but when I try to load the previous updates, my computer says it can't load it, even though it shows the top part of the page just fine! My computer is really having issues with this site.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 28th, 2008, 12:09 pm

How does it happen?!?!? Does it start loading the page like normal, and then stop, and box pops up that says, "Internet Explorer cannot open website:(whatever the URL of that page is). Operation aborted.", and then you have to click OK and then it takes you to a, "The Program Cannot Display the Page", page? Is that what happens to you? If not, please describe in detail exactly what does happen to you, also it would be helpful to know what internet you use(ie. AoL, Firefox,etc.).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Jomingo » July 28th, 2008, 12:18 pm

The same thing happens to me on a lot of the pages. I told Qyz about it, and he was very perplexed by it, as no one else has reported that problem. We were hoping that this was because it only happened to me, and that it wasn't because nobody else visits the main site.

Anyway, what browser do you use? (Aol, firefox)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 28th, 2008, 12:21 pm

It appears all I'm using is AT&T Yahoo! (No, really, I know what you're talking about, that just seems to be the browser I'm using), I'll try Internet Explorer soon though.

EDIT: Nevermind, the error says I'm using Internet Explorer already.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 28th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Isn't that under Internet Explorer too? I'm pretty sure this problem(along with a lot of other problems we have encountered) I linked exclusively to Internet Explorer. I believe this site is made to work best on Firefox 2 or 3, but of course we don't want all the internet explorer users to be denied the opportunity to experience the full greatness of this site.

What pages does this happen to you on?

Also, I'm moving these few posts to DKC Atlas Queries thread.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 28th, 2008, 12:33 pm

So far, that's the only page I know of that does that, and this entire site, (site and forum), sometimes run slowly, I hope I won't need to download Firefox for this.

EDIT: Sorry about posting in the other board, I deleted it and posted it here instead.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Next

Return to DKC Atlas Discussion