We're back at dkc-atlas.com - server switch is complete!

Feedback, suggestions and content submissions for the DKC Atlas website and forum can be posted here.

We're back at dkc-atlas.com - server switch is complete!

Postby Qyzbud » July 19th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Alright guys, after an unfortunately bumpy transition, we're finally back at dkc-atlas.com!

You can still access the site/forum at dkca.net, but the forum is optimised for the dkc-atlas.com domain once more, which means you won't be able to stay logged in via dkca.net. This may change in the near future (I personally find the shorter address very nice and handy), but for now http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum is the way to go. It's the one everyone knows best (and links to), anyway. ;)

My apologies again to those confused and inconvenienced by the server/domain transition this past week - thanks for sticking with me while I got it all organised!

Previous posts:
Spoiler!
The server switch is almost compete. We're still waiting for the dkc-atlas.com domain to point to the new site location, but dkca.net works fine until then. Let me know if you experience any issues, or have any questions/feedback at all. :)
Spoiler!
Hi guys, we're moving servers again - this time to one that's free of charge!

EDIT:
The process has proven more complicated than I anticipated, and there are a few things I will have to work out before we can proceed. I'll let you all know when to expect the switch. Sorry for the false alarm(s)!
Spoiler!
Our current server has increased the cost of hosting DKC Atlas, but a friend of mine has kindly offered to host the Atlas at no cost, which is wonderful news! My account with the current server expires in 10 days, but I'd like to get the ball rolling, so I'm planning to begin the big switcheroo tomorrow (July 20) on Monday. I'll temporarily shut down the forum (to prevent any posts being lost during the transition) at 4am Mountain Daylight Time (10:00am UTC), which is usually a fairly quiet time for site/forum activity.

Server switch in [countdown=7/23/2012 10:00 AM UTC]progress - please stand by.[/countdown]..

There will be a bit of downtime while I backup and migrate data, consolidate domain name servers, check to make sure things are as they should be, etc... but hopefully it'll be all done within an hour or so.

I've got a bit to do to prepare for that switch, so I'd best be off!

See you on the other side! :)

P.S. I may decide to delay the switch. If so, I'll edit this post and update the countdown timer.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: DKC Atlas is switching to a new server!

Postby Simion32 » July 20th, 2012, 5:37 am

With this happening, you will need to ensure that security is overall top-notch (what with the site being in "close" quarters!).

Yeah I probably sound strict as a piece of deadwood floating in the air, but I'm a programmer. I can't NOT think about such possible issues. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Re: DKC Atlas is switching to a new server!

Postby Gaz » July 20th, 2012, 8:30 am

I'm glad DKC Atlas as a server allowing others to contribute (when approved).
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Re: DKC Atlas is switching to a new server - on Monday!

Postby Qyzbud » July 23rd, 2012, 10:28 pm

I'll be sure to take care of the security.

Also - I've delayed the switch, so prepare for an uninterrupted weekend... MONDAY we will move across. :)

EDIT:
As mentioned in the first post, I've had to delay the switch again. :oops:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: DKC Atlas has switched to a new server!

Postby Qyzbud » July 26th, 2012, 12:24 pm

So we've made the switch - is anyone having any issues with the forum?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » July 26th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Hey Qyzzy, forget about my previous PM. It's all good now. ;)

I became confused earlier, due to the site being "duplicated". I see what's going on - the DNS entries have to refresh themselves before all of this works properly. :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » July 26th, 2012, 5:57 pm

That's good to hear; one less thing for me to worry about! :lol:

I'm doing what I can to get our beloved dkc-atlas.com domain sorted out. Hang in there guys!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: We're back at dkc-atlas.com - server switch is complete!

Postby Qyzbud » July 29th, 2012, 10:52 pm

Alright guys, after an unfortunately bumpy transition, we're finally back at dkc-atlas.com!

You can still access the site/forum at dkca.net, but the forum is optimised for the dkc-atlas.com domain once more, which means you won't be able to stay logged in via dkca.net. This may change in the near future (I personally find the shorter address very nice and handy), but for now http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum is the way to go. It's the one everyone knows best (and links to), anyway. ;)

My apologies again to those confused and inconvenienced by the server/domain transition this past week - thanks for sticking with me while I got it all organised!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to DKC Atlas Discussion