I need help (keyboard input problem)

A board for emulation discussion. Logically, SNES emulation talk is what this board is for, but discussion of Game Boy, GBA, N64 and NDS emulation is also welcome. Relevance to DKC is preferable.
Forum rules
Remember; posting/requesting ROMs is not allowed. General ROM/emulation talk is fine, of course.

I need help (keyboard input problem)

Postby Gnawzooka » August 26th, 2008, 8:33 pm

I'm suffering greatly from a very strange and annoying glitch. It's not cool or exciting, it's just a pain. Basically, while playing DKC2 on ZSNES, I've found that for some reason, I can't jump while running right (>). It works fine when I'm going left, but conveniently, most levels don't go that way. In short, I can't get run-ups for large gaps, carry barrels to high places or across gaps and I can't even beat Kleever without Dixie's glide. Does anyone know what the problem might be and how to fix it?
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Re: I need help

Postby Qyzbud » August 26th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Gnawz, I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is - and it's not so much a DKC2/ZSNES glitch as it is a hardware limitation.

Your keyboard (like mine, actually) seems to have a two-key rollover. 'Rollover' is the ability of a computer keyboard to correctly handle several simultaneous keystrokes. What's happening is the keyboard understands that you're holding a key for run and a key for right, but the keyboard is unable to interpret any more keystrokes, so when it comes to using a third key for jump - nothing happens. Some keyboards support more simultaneous keystrokes, but using a gamepad is a better choice, if possible.

Here's a thread you might want to check out: Any recommendations for a gamepad?

And for future reference; all emulation related issues belong here.

Hope that helps. :geek:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Gnawzooka » August 27th, 2008, 9:05 pm

It seems your right, it's working on other computers. But I'm confused about why it works when running left but not right. :|
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Qyzbud » August 27th, 2008, 11:14 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure why that happens, but perhaps you could use that to your advantage... you may be able to reconfigure your controls so that you only use keys that can work together in combination. That might be tricky, though. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Blaziken257 » August 28th, 2008, 2:33 pm

You could always remap the buttons to other keys and see if that works...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Qyzbud » August 29th, 2008, 1:48 am

Ehm, that's precisely what I suggested in my previous post. :roll:

:lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: I need help (keyboard input problem)

Postby Blaziken257 » August 29th, 2008, 4:38 am

Oh... I thought you meant to assign multiple buttons to one key. Never mind...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: I need help (keyboard input problem)

Postby Qyzbud » August 29th, 2008, 12:41 pm

Ah, right. Well that's not what I was trying to say; that would be quite difficult to get used to indeed.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to Emulation