ROM/Emulation Questions ("Should I get an emulator?")

A board for emulation discussion. Logically, SNES emulation talk is what this board is for, but discussion of Game Boy, GBA, N64 and NDS emulation is also welcome. Relevance to DKC is preferable.
Forum rules
Remember; posting/requesting ROMs is not allowed. General ROM/emulation talk is fine, of course.

ROM/Emulation Questions ("Should I get an emulator?")

Postby Malmo » July 31st, 2008, 2:53 pm

Qyz says: This topic can be used for any ROM or emulation related questions, beginning with Malmo's following topic-starting post:

Subject: Should I get an emulator?

Stupid question, I know....but, I've been wanting to try a lot of the awesome hacks everyone's talking about, and anyway half my cartridges went missing last year. I could replace them, but I'm not sure if I should just get an emulator instead. I read every FAQ on the ZSNES site but all the techy mumble jumble just made me more confused.\

I have a several-year-old Windows XP that runs a little slow sometimes (like if I've been running Photoshop for too long). Will an emulator be a significant drag on my system?

Any other pros and cons I should know about?
Tourist

Re: Should I get an emulator?

Postby NxCy » July 31st, 2008, 8:02 pm

Sure, why not?

Both Snes9x and ZSNES are incredibly easy to use, once you've played with them a bit. And at around 500kb, they're both small files.

With emulators you can easily record videos without having to buy any other equipment; play with people online via netplay; play ROM hacks and, if you want, use loads of weird cheat codes.

Just remember; it is against the rules (and illegal?) for anyone to link you to a site which distributes ROMs, meaning you're on your own when you try to find them.
Tourist

Postby Qyzbud » August 1st, 2008, 12:58 am

That's a shame about your cartridges going missing... but if your interest is in trying out the DKC hacks that are emerging, you more or less have to use an emulator anyhow. Any computer that can run XP should handle ZSNES or Snes9x just fine, and even if the games don't run at full speed (for whatever reason), the emulator won't put any drag on your system after you close it - so there's no need to worry. ;)

NxCy's right about the game files (ROMs) themselves; it's illegal and against site policy to provide them, or even link you to them. (Sorry) :roll:

Good luck, and let us know if you need any help. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 1st, 2008, 1:45 am

This isn't my thread, but I myself have some questions. About how much is an emulator, how do you download the games, and how many digits long are ROM's?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 1st, 2008, 2:42 am

How much? How much what? If you're wondering about price; all the good emulators are free.

As for downloading games, you're on your own. Completely. We can't help you with that at all.

How many digits long? :| Sorry, huh?

I recommend you do your own research for these things.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » August 1st, 2008, 3:01 am

Malmo wrote:I have a several-year-old Windows XP that runs a little slow sometimes (like if I've been running Photoshop for too long). Will an emulator be a significant drag on my system?

Be glad you don't have Windows Vista *waits for emulator to stop skipping* :?

WINDOWS VISTA SUCKS! :x
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby CaptainEddie » August 1st, 2008, 3:10 am

Yes, Windows Vista does suck. ( I have it.) But I don't have any problem with emulators.

On a side note, yes you should get an emulator if you want to do hacks and stuff. I must warn you though, for me the guilt kinda hangs around. And once you get one emulator, you suddenly want more. I have my own rule that I only download emulators for systems two generations and before that. (i.e. I have an N64 emulator, but not Gamecube or Wii.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby BlueTronic » August 1st, 2008, 3:19 am

ZSNES skips, Winamp stops working and closes after 30 seconds, it takes Windows Movie Maker like 30 minutes to finally get it to run smoothly. My laptop works twice as good as I ever got Vista to run.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby CaptainEddie » August 1st, 2008, 3:21 am

My Vista works a lot better than that! I use Snes9x, and it runs smooth. Windows Movie Maker is intantly ready to go!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Kiddy14 » August 1st, 2008, 3:27 am

My Vista works pretty good, I got Midtown Madness 2 to work too =P
The only REAL problem i ever got was that after downloading updates, the taskeng.exe stopped working, about 3 times :roll: I clicked Restart Now in the Windows Update menu and it has never happened before.
Once I was playing with Visual Boy Advance, and suddenly the screen went blank, and told me that "Some programs weren't compatible with Aero Glass effects".
Oh, and Yahoo! Messenger doesn't maximizes correctly =P
But those are only compatibility issues, I don't know what happens with yours...

PS: Do you think a Technology Thread would be cool? You know, to not go off-topic? =D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby CaptainEddie » August 1st, 2008, 3:30 am

Yes, I do beleive we are going wayy off topic.

So, to stay on topic....Malmo, overall an emulator is fun for having cool effects and stuff. I can't help you any further.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Qyzbud » August 1st, 2008, 3:36 am

Kiddy, your post had practically nothing at all to do with the thread. Silly boy. :roll:

To all: Please try not to wander so far off topic. Malmo's probably going to forget what she was even asking in the first place, now.

EDIT: Aye aye, Captain!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Malmo » August 1st, 2008, 7:30 am

Wow, so many replies! Thanks. I'll almost for sure get one when I get a laptop, maybe before. Sounds a lot less complicated than I thought.

I've been wanting to use that Mario level builder to make this...
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/M ... roject.jpg
Tourist

Postby Simion32 » August 1st, 2008, 7:48 am

Actually, I don't think that's possible in SMW, it looks like the level is too wide/tall. :|

As others have said, if you have Windows XP your computer should more than likely be able to handle an emulator.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby CaptainEddie » August 1st, 2008, 8:13 am

Wow! That's a complete replica of Bramble Scramble! (Or one of the Bramble levels.)

But, as Simon said, I don't hink you will be able to do that with SMW. Only a few levels scroll up even close to that far, so I don't think you can do it with a level builder and emulator.Sorry. :|
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Malmo » August 1st, 2008, 9:06 am

Yeah, hadn't thought of scrolling issues. And it's only 1/4 of BS, so making the whole thing would be out of the question. But it was incredible satisfying to make, nonetheless.

Back on topic, I'd need an emulator to even contribute to this site at all....I've definitely got to get one in that case.
Tourist

Postby CaptainEddie » August 1st, 2008, 9:37 am

I almost just posted a link to a good site with roms and emulators. But I caught myself, so not to break the rules. But if you want to talk to me on AIM, send me a PM.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 1st, 2008, 1:11 pm

Qyzbud wrote:How much? How much what? If you're wondering about price; all the good emulators are free.

As for downloading games, you're on your own. Completely. We can't help you with that at all.

How many digits long? :| Sorry, huh?

I recommend you do your own research for these things.

Sorry, I forgot what ROMs were, I thought they were codes or something :lol: .

EDIT: Yes, I ment the price of them.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Return to Emulation