What is a ROM?

A board for emulation discussion. Logically, SNES emulation talk is what this board is for, but discussion of Game Boy, GBA, N64 and NDS emulation is also welcome. Relevance to DKC is preferable.
Forum rules
Remember; posting/requesting ROMs is not allowed. General ROM/emulation talk is fine, of course.

What is a ROM?

Postby Dixie Diddy » November 11th, 2013, 7:51 am

don't know what a ROM is please inform me :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :facepalm:
Last edited by Qyzbud on November 16th, 2013, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Renamed topic from "Am I dumb"
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Re: Am I dumb

Postby edevore » November 11th, 2013, 8:58 am

first off your not dumb and second:
I will keep this simple, when we talk about roms on this site we are referring to a console based read-only-memory - the donkey kong country series have hardware that has mountable snes executable and the data contained on the cartridge that is dumped on a computer is considered a rom... they can be emulated on multiple devices, pc using zsnes or snes98x -the android using snesdroid- or the apple devices using snes4ios these are "just a single banana out of a bunch" you can try out.

if you don't understand I am sure someone else willing to break this down for you so you can understand it better.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Re: What is a ROM? (Renamed from "Am I dumb")

Postby Qyzbud » November 11th, 2013, 9:48 am

Edevore's right; a ROM (or "ROM image") is a file that holds all of the data from a game cartridge (except for the save games, which are not "read only"). It's basically a game stored as a single file, which can be played via emulator.

Further reading: http://wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_image

I was confused by the name when I first got into emulation, and I was a high schooler! So, don't feel too silly. :diddywink:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to Emulation